Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628377 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6950 on: 21 October, 2015, 03:08:09 pm »
He's a she, but she's terribly creative when it comes to IT and computers. All that bad stuff, it's her. All those files you lose, she has them. Memory fried? She remembers. Hard disk died? All your sectors are hers. She invented pop-ups windows and the <blink> tag. And yes, she did briefly possess Steve Ballmer. Which explains a lot.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6951 on: 21 October, 2015, 03:35:13 pm »
She is also responsible for "CSI: Cyber".  I am beginning to think Matthew Hopkins may have had a point.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6952 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:40:04 pm »
Habitual drivers who use the train once in a blue moon and get confused about the reservations: stop trying to argue with me about how these things work, hmmkay?  This isn't an equal exchange of opinions, it's me giving you trains 101, like how I  just told you the difference between an advance and an off peak ticket, so STFU and learn.

« Reply #6953 on: 22 October, 2015, 04:21:30 pm »
You know that saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."?

I'm going to write that in weld on a length of scaffold pole, so I can smack people in the forehead with it. The words should get permanently stamped on there forehead, there for every time they look in a mirror.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6954 on: 22 October, 2015, 08:55:10 pm »
Oh hurrah, the fireworks have started.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6955 on: 22 October, 2015, 09:13:45 pm »
New next door neighbours have move in. They have two cars squeezed onto a parking space that would
comfortably fit one. Therefore they have no pathway up to their front door and continuously use mine.

Now, we're all territorial and I don't like them doing it. My pathway is on a slight ramp. Rather than risk
a confrontation (parking/access always does) I'm going ahead with something I was going to do anyway.

I'm getting the guy who originally sorted my driveway to level the pathway, merging it into my parking space,
making it wider. In the meantime he'll have to build a wall on my side of the boundary, as next door's
parking space is higher than mine (no planning permission required).

I'll tell neighbours when work is about to commence that I need a bigger parking space to accommodate
my larger car (not that I need to give an explanation).

We've only exchanged neighbourly pleasantries on four occasions, so we're not that close. It's the woman,
boyfriend, daughter and her boyfriend who are continuously using my path day in day out.

Once the work is done I expect them to be pissed off. However, I won't be doing anything that I'm not
legally entitled to.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6956 on: 22 October, 2015, 09:22:25 pm »
Where do you think they'll park the second car now?
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6957 on: 22 October, 2015, 09:55:27 pm »
Where do you think they'll park the second car now?
As she won't be able to open the driver's door on her car without hitting the soon to be built wall
I suppose she'll ask her daughter to park the second car on the road. TBH it's not my problem,
so I won't offer any recommendations if she starts a rant (just trying to mentally prepare myself
for all eventualities).

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6958 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:13:02 pm »
If they block your drive...
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6959 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:18:18 pm »
Mine has a dropped kerb, so if they did block it they'd be committing an offence. I get the impression they won't,
but I thought they were being a bit brazen by squeezing two cars onto a plot for one and then having the cheek
to use my pathway as their own.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #6960 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:22:34 pm »
My neighbours don't park unreasonably.

But they do grow bleeding' leylandii  :demon:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6961 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:37:38 pm »
Mine has a dropped kerb, so if they did block it they'd be committing an offence. I get the impression they won't,
but I thought they were being a bit brazen by squeezing two cars onto a plot for one and then having the cheek

Just a thought,  but maybe you could save a few quid just politely asking them not to use your path?
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6962 on: 22 October, 2015, 10:39:00 pm »

Just a thought,  but maybe you could save a few quid just politely asking them not to use your path?

But that would involve talking to a neighbour! :o ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6963 on: 22 October, 2015, 11:02:24 pm »
But neighbours do knowingly take the piss, don't they?! One of my neighbours parks 3 cars on a drive meant for 2. To do so they have to park like sardines. That means that one of the cars is parked right up to the boundary of our connected drive. In fact, the wing mirrors impinge into our drive, they park so close. They know they're doing it and obviously don't care. To 'talk to them' wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. Ah, the entitled middle classes...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6964 on: 22 October, 2015, 11:30:14 pm »
As AWL said; they'll know what they're doing and "want have their cake and eat it too". On the off-chance that
 they are hostile about it; i think it's best to avoid any potential confrontation by saying nothing untill the work
 is about to commence. Let's hope they're reasonable.

« Reply #6965 on: 22 October, 2015, 11:42:12 pm »
Quote from: Ruthie link

I was thinking of having the work done anyway. This episode has just speeded up the decision.
I'm already stressed about it and don't want that feeling to last any longer than necessary Ruthie.
I'm sure you'll understand how uncomfortable stress can be.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6966 on: 22 October, 2015, 11:52:20 pm »
I can't see how starting a dispute with neighbours over the one thing that's guaranteed to make nearly anyone act irrationally (ie. parking) is liable to reduce your stress levels.

Not that I have a better suggestion.  Maybe you could set up a wayleave for their use of your path?

« Reply #6967 on: 23 October, 2015, 12:10:54 am »
Kim, not sure what that means. All I'm doing is widening my parking area to acommodate my larger car.
I had planned to do it anyway. As a consequence, they will have to address their situation of having 2 cars
in a space that was meant for one. It will probably mean they will have to park one on the road.

ian

« Reply #6968 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:51:34 am »
Parking is sadly a nightmare, we've built a society where everyone 'needs' a car. Not just one. One each. That's two, then the elder child wants a car. That's three. Sibling. That's four. Unless you've got a big driveway, then there's a problem. So every street is lined with them, pavements are blocked, driveways clogged, and every front garden concreted into weary submission. Because we need those cars so much, very few people think about where to put them. Cram them in until our entire environments strain with the bloody things.

But that's where we are. I'm pretty bolshy about it, I had the police move the chap who was parking on the pavement corner near my house (but that was genuinely dangerous), and I'm contemplating annoying the council in general about blocked pavements, but I doubt I'll turn the tide, and you have to pick your battles. Negotiated settlements, especially with neighbours, are a better approach. Sticking a wall in their way probably only passes for negotiation if you're the Israeli government.

This from someone who spent six long years arbitrating parking disputes amongst people who bought houses with one parking space and arrived with three or four cars. Believe me, that kind of stuff etches your soul like acid.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6969 on: 23 October, 2015, 10:41:54 am »
Can I request a re-start for today? I'll just go back to bed and start again.

I got half way to work and realised I'd forgotten my security pass so had to turn round and go home. At home I decided it was too late to try and cycle in again, so took the bags off of the bike and put them behind the car, ready to go in the locked boot, then loaded the bike on the roof and went inside to pick up my pass and car key.

Then jumped in the car, reversed out of the drive and drove off, wondering what the noise was. Half a mile further down the road I realised it was me running over my pump and new Super C rack bag  :facepalm:

Returned home and retrieved run over items and finally made it into work half an hour late.

On the damage I think I've got of lightly. I didn't have my flask in the bag today so everything seems to have survived, though the bag now looks a little lessmore used than it did. The pump looks ok, other than a bit (more) scuffing. It feels a little stiff, but there's also some water in it (not from today's incident) so it may be unrelated.

I'm hoping that's all the bad luck used up for today as I'm singing at a charity dinner tonight :-\

Roll on the weekend!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6970 on: 23 October, 2015, 10:54:36 am »
Nice one!  (I'm hoping to have a roll on the weekend, too, but it's not really up to me.)

« Reply #6971 on: 23 October, 2015, 11:46:36 am »
Ian, I am not depriving them of parking space. The wall needs to built to prevent their space from deterioting,
as their parking space is higher than mine (my path is on a slope which is going to be levelled in order to create
space to accommodate my larger car).

I outlined this in my original post. Me not doing anything means I can't widen my parking space (which I'm legally
entitled to do so).

ian

« Reply #6972 on: 23 October, 2015, 12:26:34 pm »
I'm merely saying you might want to have a chat with them before putting a wall where previously they were walking, rightly or wrongly. Otherwise they may not choose to interpret things the way you do, and thusly arguments between neighbours begin.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6973 on: 23 October, 2015, 01:10:24 pm »
My point exactly.

« Reply #6974 on: 23 October, 2015, 01:27:07 pm »
I'm merely saying you might want to have a chat with them before putting a wall where previously they were walking, rightly or wrongly. Otherwise they may not choose to interpret things the way you do, and thusly arguments between neighbours begin.

Though, my experience has been that you can have a chat with them but someone who thinks it's OK to use someone else's property to get to theirs because they've filled there space up is unlikely to take notice of a polite, please stop walking on my path. Generally the response will be along the lines of but where will I put my car as if it's your problem not theirs that they have too many cars.

I've had a number of houses that come with a space only to find that a neighbour or a neighbours guest has parked in my space because there is no other room.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.