Author Topic: Humber Bridge Closed  (Read 11275 times)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Re: Humber Bridge Closed
« Reply #50 on: 13 April, 2021, 03:25:15 pm »
Some enterprising local with a small boat could start a ferry service.

The only time I took the ferry, its days were numbered - the bridge was under construction.

I took my bike across the bridge before it was officially opened. The cycle/walkways were opened for a day one sunny Sunday and the population of Hull took the opportunity to have a day out and get a closer look at the sunlit uplands of Lincolnshire. They were too crowded for me to cycle so I pushed my laden bike all the way to Barton.

In Roman time there was supposed to have been a ford.

There were 2 ferries.   The Tattershall Castle and the Lincoln Castle.   One is a bar on the Thames near Charing Cross and the other used to also be a bar but in Grimsby.

There were 3 Castle Class Paddle Steamers, the other was the "PS Wingfield Castle", built at the same time as "PS Tattershall Castle" and now preserved in Hartlepool.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #51 on: 13 April, 2021, 03:40:32 pm »
The Hownsgill solution clearly isn't, if the floral tribute was anything to go by, last time we were there.
Our local one had barriers put up in 2019 and I've not heard of anyone jumping since:
https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/local-council/mother-of-man-who-died-at-archway-bridge-ecstatic-as-3822058
(there are side barriers painted black that aren't obvious in that pic)
I don't think the problem is a bridge problem. It's a societal problem.
Having a well known local suicide hotspot tends to be an important nudge towards actioning bad thoughts.

Highgate Archway has been used for suicides for the past century...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #52 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:10:08 pm »

The only time I took the ferry, its days were numbered - the bridge was under construction.

I took my bike across the bridge before it was officially opened. The cycle/walkways were opened for a day one sunny Sunday and the population of Hull took the opportunity to have a day out and get a closer look at the sunlit uplands of Lincolnshire. They were too crowded for me to cycle so I pushed my laden bike all the way to Barton.

There's also supposed to have been a Roman ford across the Severn estuary, approximately where there are two villages called Purton on opposite banks (just upstream from Sharpness). It's hard to believe it was ever possible to walk across without sinking in the mud.

According to wikipedia, a 6ft 9in  man walked across the Humber in 2005.

ISTR this appearing in an episode of T** G*** wherein the pedestrian was pitted against The Hamster going the long way round.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #53 on: 13 April, 2021, 09:32:30 pm »
I've not looked at the CUK website for a long time but my first thoughts, after following that link ^, were crayons, 5 year olds.

On the subject of bridge use by cyclists, 30-50 ride over it early on a Saturday morning once a year on my favourite FNRttC*.

*I haven't done them all. Yet.

Like this
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

felstedrider

« Reply #54 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:23:21 pm »

There's also supposed to have been a Roman ford across the Severn estuary, approximately where there are two villages called Purton on opposite banks (just upstream from Sharpness). It's hard to believe it was ever possible to walk across without sinking in the mud.

ISTR this appearing in an episode of T** G*** wherein the pedestrian was pitted against The Hamster going the long way round.

I believe it was James May and I think he was driving an Alfa.

« Reply #55 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:03:22 pm »
<Snippety-Snip>
Blimey! There's a few blasts from the past in that crowd.
Is that Mistral standing next to Olaf Storbeck?
Whatever happened to him?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #56 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:33:49 pm »

I believe it was James May and I think he was driving an Alfa.

I stand slump corrected :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #58 on: 27 February, 2022, 08:36:46 pm »
Does anyone know if there has been any more recent changes to the Humber Bridge cycling policy?   I'm planning a ride and hope to get there before 9pm, but if I get delayed, am I stuffed?
Any bike-friendly places to stay in Barton-on-Humber?