Author Topic: Folding Bike Recommendation  (Read 4329 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Folding Bike Recommendation
« on: 04 December, 2008, 02:25:44 pm »
I have to decide in the next couple of weeks whether or not to elect to participate in my employer's bike to work scheme, run in conjunction with Halfrauds.

A £300 folding bike would set me back a princely £17 a month on the cycle to work scheme.

Which is principally what the Dahon Speed D7 would cost, from Halfords. I've seen other positive comments about this bike in this very place.

Just before I commit to taking the voucher, is there anything else I should be aware of? Any alternatives I should consider? It's quite a heavy folder, being chromoly not steel, and I'd imagine I'll be carrying it about a bit (unless I choose to ride up through the multi-storey car park) so are there any lighter 16" wheel alternatives I should consider?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Folding Bike Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2008, 06:31:58 am »
Folded size?  Brompton is smallest.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2008, 06:37:10 pm »
How small does it need to fold and how much carrying do you expect to do?

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2008, 08:30:16 pm »
And what's your budget?

Duncan

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2008, 11:06:22 pm »
Hi,
Budget: as little as possible. The folder would save me £12 a month in bus fair, spent collecting and returning hire cars.

Folded size: Must fit in the boot of a car. I will occasionally use it for train travel to Londinium/Leatherhead with some light luggage.

I think a brompton is well over budget. I think the Dahon Speed D7 would do everything I asked of it.

I think I have already made up my mind, I just wanted to sanity check my decision.

Thanks
Daniel

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2008, 04:23:35 pm »
Daniel, you're welcome to borrow my Brompton for a bit if it will help you make your decision (and save some cash). I hardly ever use it (last time I lent it out it was for 6 months or so and I hardly noticed it wasn't there  :) )

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2008, 04:29:15 pm »
If it's for a car boot the folded size will be less important. If you need to use public transport then a Brompton is really useful, not just the folded size but the neatness of the fold. A folded Dahon is not as easily carried as a Brompton, but for your requirements I expect the Dahon fold will be good enough.

Try some out- it really helps to see them folded and unfolded and a test ride really helps, although bear in  mind that a folder will often feel odd at first.

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2008, 11:28:49 am »
I just bought (and am waiting to receive) a Dahon D7HG (7spd Hub Gear), availabe all over the web for a smidge under £280

As something to stick in the boot of my car, in my trailer-tent trailer and to pop to the local shops on it seemed to make sense.

Although I appreciate that a hub gear and chain guard place me in a certain tweedy demographic it seems like a good idea for a folder that has an exposed chain when folded (unlike a Brompton).

I don't know what a Nexus 7 hub is like in terms of operation, reliability or efficiency or what Dahons are like to ride but I am about to find out.

It may also tempt my wife to ride a bike given it has an appealing, to her, step-thru frame.

Anyway, it's N+1 and any N+1 is exciting.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2008, 12:36:16 pm »
Daniel, you're welcome to borrow my Brompton for a bit if it will help you make your decision (and save some cash). I hardly ever use it (last time I lent it out it was for 6 months or so and I hardly noticed it wasn't there  :) )

Thanks for this.

I actually need some sort of transport for the 24th-26th December. The bus I usually catch back from the airport after returning a hire car isn't running on the 26th.

Zanda had already offered me loan of his folder, so if he doesn't need his over that period, I might well ask you.

I can't afford the Brompton in anycase! It's hard to justify the extra cost whilst on a tight budget, although getting one through the cycle to work scheme it is still quite tempting.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2008, 09:09:14 pm »
The cycle to work scheme is dangerous...before you know it, it'll be a titanium one in a custom colour.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2008, 11:47:02 pm »
The cycle to work scheme is dangerous...before you know it, it'll be a titanium one in a custom colour.

Lol... don't tempt me.
The only reason I can justify this n+1 excitement is because of how precious little little extra it will cost me after I've saved on bus fair.

I also like the fact I could be on the bench shortly after christmas and sent to work further afield. The folder will mean extra flexibility or not being in the middle of anywhere/nowhere without wheels.

Although really, I don't want to be working far from home.

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 10 December, 2008, 02:23:01 pm »
Arrived today - Dahon D7HG (Hub Gear)

Only managed to go up and down the street for now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2008, 02:26:43 pm »
Folders are very tempting right now, given how much time I'm spending aboard trains.  And that's a nice looking one. :)
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #13 on: 10 December, 2008, 02:46:40 pm »
Folders are very tempting right now, given how much time I'm spending aboard trains.  And that's a nice looking one. :)

If I ever had to commute by train a lot then I'd get a Brommie for the folding/size.  However the chainguard and hub gears make this less liable to annoy fellow commuters than most other derailleur folders if it came to a train journey.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #14 on: 10 December, 2008, 03:56:37 pm »
I am now out the habit of using the folder for the commute, partly since I discovered the simplicity of 700c SS.  The Dahon can now be returned to its original purpose of being a 'lift' at each end of a train journey.
Given the need to remove any luggage from the bike before folding it, I would opt to use a rucksack and remove the rear rack from the Dahon, saving half a kilo and improving the fold.  I think the weight of the folded package is what determines a folder's usefulness.  I'd extend the weight weeny ethos to the drive train and opt for a single low gear.