Author Topic: A big surprise!  (Read 3782 times)

Flying_Monkey

A big surprise!
« on: 26 July, 2008, 02:56:27 pm »
Well... a day of surprises... we went to pick up my wife's Brompton and came away with two matching Bromptons! It turns out that the company sent two identical bikes by accident, and since the shop-owner knew he would be unlikely to sell the other one any time soon, he offered it to us at a big discount. So, despite the slightly creepy thing of having matching bikes, it was too good to miss - especially as we were buying the original one on the Cyclescheme anyway - and we bought both! We are very glad we did and in fact were left wondering why we hadn't thought of this a couple of years ago - we already have plans to take them on holiday...

My wife and I with our accidentally matching Bromptons... (and yes, I know I need a haircut...)

Re: A big surprise!
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2008, 04:03:05 pm »
...and since the shop-owner knew he would be unlikely to sell the other one any time soon, ...

Why?  They look like fairly normal Bromptons (other than being baby blue!), did you spec them oddly in some fashion?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2008, 04:48:50 pm »
...and since the shop-owner knew he would be unlikely to sell the other one any time soon, ...

Why?  They look like fairly normal Bromptons (other than being baby blue!), did you spec them oddly in some fashion?

They're Turkish green (grey-turquoise), not baby blue - that camera makes them look far bluer than they really are... I don't know really, it's a small shop and he doesn't get any passing trade. Maybe he just likes us.  ;D

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2008, 09:21:23 pm »
You'll have to get some way of distinguishing or I forsee Marital Disputes.  They may look the same, but I'm sure they ride differently.  And wait till one gets a scratch (from the folding pedal at the very least - inevitable, IME)...

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2008, 09:25:19 pm »
This is a slippery slope my friend

Next it will be matching leisure wear

And so on...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2008, 08:18:12 am »
And wait till one gets a scratch (from the folding pedal at the very least - inevitable, IME)...

Brompton have added a bump to their crank that prevents the folding pedal from over-folding, so I'm told.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2008, 11:27:28 am »
And wait till one gets a scratch (from the folding pedal at the very least - inevitable, IME)...

Brompton have added a bump to their crank that prevents the folding pedal from over-folding, so I'm told.

I can't see how overfolding is possible on ours... in fact, the design is quite joyously good as, more surprisingly, is the ride. The only thing I will change on mine is the saddle. I wouldn't have ordered one with the basic saddle and it's a bit wide and soft for my liking.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2008, 11:30:08 am »
The one thing I would advise a new Brompton rider and that is beware of pedalling when going round corners. The bottom bracket is pretty low and I have grounded my left pedal a couple of times. I always freewheel round corners now, with the appropriate pedal lifted.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2008, 07:32:46 pm »
I think the
BB is quite high - it's hard to get a foot down when stopped.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2008, 09:33:17 pm »
Stiffening the suspension effectively raises the BB height, particularly for the larger riders.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2008, 09:49:56 pm »
Ah, so you fell for the old "we got sent an extra bike" trick did you?

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2008, 09:56:59 pm »
This seems to be a common theme with folders.

When my mum was sent her lovely Edinburgh Bicycle folder (which is currently being pedalled around the Pyrenees  :D ) she was sent another full (racing) bike in the consignment. Being an honest soul, she let EB know about their error right away, though the delivery driver had indicated he was happy to leave the +1 with her and not mention a word.

:o

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #12 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:50:35 am »
Ah, so you fell for the old "we got sent an extra bike" trick did you?

:D

:-[ Iam such a fool...