Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 336983 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #325 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:49:46 pm »
Have you clicked on the ride in the activities list and got the definitive tile list calculated for the ride as by default it only uses

https://blog.veloviewer.com/explorer-tile-calculation-updates/

Quote from the above link

By default, the Explorer tiles are calculated using the summary map line for each activity which is the line you see in the map on your Activities List page. This is a simplified version of the route taken and can miss out some of the detail of your activity and occasionally fail to cross a tile boundary which you actually did cross, equally it can cross one that you didn’t!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #326 on: 12 November, 2018, 12:02:39 am »

Yeah, tried that. Doesn't seem to have done anything :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #327 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:29:43 am »
Just seven new tiles yesterday, but clearly some key ones- cluster up from 417 to 583.

The inching south to connect the East Anglian massif to the North Yorks has reached Ripon. One more tile and I think I'll make York.

« Reply #328 on: 12 November, 2018, 10:23:47 am »
A mooch around the flatlands of NW Lincolnshire and S Yorks this weekend finally shifted my square count from 8 to 11 and the cluster is now above 350. Picking off some of the holes in my map next will grow that cluster but think it'll be a while before the square increases again.

« Reply #329 on: 12 November, 2018, 12:57:50 pm »
Got 8 new tiles on Saturday during a walk in Ladybank Forest while my youngest was at a nearby birthday party.  They will hopefully become part of my cluster soon, if I can do a planned ride home from Dundee.

This morning headed away from work on the commute - went to Kirkcaldy train station via 11 missing squares.  That filled in all the last gaps between FRB and Glenrothes and cluster risen from 534 to 570 as a result.

Hoping to get a few more tiles after another train assisted commute tomorrow.

« Reply #330 on: 12 November, 2018, 05:04:42 pm »
28 new tiles today and up to 8 overlapping 14x14 max squares now with an extra 40 tiles in my cluster (to take it to 453). Forgot to check the ride before going (some of it was routed using 'Google (Walking)') and lo and behold I had to walk 50 yards or so across part of Leatherhead Golf Club's driving range (it is marked as a footpath on the OS map). Also a completely unnecessary detour into Givons Grove near the Mickleham bends which included a ridiculously steep downhill bit and a short and steep bit of muddy footpath.

Should really research the routes/roads a bit more before venturing out, at some point I'm going to be turned away from someone's private property.

Really didn't want to get out today given the forecast but was happy I did in the end, 60km including the trips to/from Wimbledon station.

Next week's ride is only 54km but includes White Down. It's only adding 20 new tiles but should be a big boost to my cluster as it connects up a bit I've done down in the Surrey Hills.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #331 on: 12 November, 2018, 05:34:27 pm »
Just back from a tile raid to ease a bottleneck, 11 new files but cluster goes from 425 to 522 so a good day's work. 😀

« Reply #332 on: 12 November, 2018, 08:32:23 pm »
I left yesterday's club ride after the cafe stop to go and 'do' the Nuneaton/Hinckley area.  Ended up as 186k by the time I got home but it was a really pleasant day once the early showers had finished.

Some of the bridleways required a bit of caution on 28mm slicks.  The A5 was no fun at all to ride on and there were quite a few urban bits that I won't mind if I never see again.

Max cluster now increased from 1275 to 1359 and max square bumped up from 26 to 29.  Next up is a load of urban stuff in Derby and Nottingham.

« Reply #333 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:50:17 pm »
First explorer ride completed ~50km; great autumn colours*.  15 new tiles, but I missed (obligatory?) one local tile by omitting a small spur on my garmin track, which would have added ~40 to my cluster.  More careful planning needed.   :)

* Heading up towards the Ridgeway

IMG_20181110_085044581_HDR by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #334 on: 12 November, 2018, 10:00:54 pm »
I've a DIY 200 planned for friday which will add about 100 tiles to my cluster. No chance for the square though as I'll be riding around some big holes in Germany. I do keep clear of Manheim village and the Hambach forest due to the massive police presence there at the moment.

« Reply #335 on: 13 November, 2018, 07:25:15 pm »
I've just got back from  my first long tilebagging trip. Grabbed one square in Redbridge to expand my max square from 12 to 13, then a load of random ones in the suburbs of Dagenham, then a lengthy jaunt along the Thames path from Rainham to Thurrock under the Dartford Bridge. Most of it is a 6 inch wide strip of gravel between brambles and bushes, plus an 8 foot high sea wall on one side and a series of chain link fences on the landward side, plus various rickety metal staircases and semi-flooded underpasses. Amazingly it's *not* part of the National Cycle Network .This goes on for several miles with *no* access points off it back onto the road network.

Then my first experience of the Dartford Crossing bike van and a trip to Abbey Wood to grab some missing squares around Thamesmead.

Max Cluster is up to 542 and stretches all the way to Gravesend.

« Reply #336 on: 13 November, 2018, 11:56:02 pm »
Amazingly it's *not* part of the National Cycle Network.

My recent favourite (from tile bagging) was NCN 61 (going West) after it crosses the M25 near Iver.

I don't think anyone has cycled it for at least 10 years, but at least it's marked as a national cycle route on a map. Tick!

« Reply #337 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:07:51 pm »

123km and 1700m of climbing gave me a grand day out. A lot of it I've cycled before, just not with a GPS, but it's been long enough that it all felt pretty new.

Bumped my max square from 8 14x14s, to 3 17x17s and my max cluster up to 429.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #338 on: 15 November, 2018, 09:17:11 pm »

Fitted new tyres to the bike, so needed to do a shake down ride. 31km look out to the tile that I missed the other day. Bit of a headwind on the return leg. Cluster now up to 267 from 243. Won't help the max square much, but it fills in a gap on the map...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #339 on: 17 November, 2018, 02:02:21 pm »
Just over a week after starting tile bagging, and three rides, square is 9x9 (from 5x5), and cluster on 197 (from 76).  Still missed one today, by changing the route, and forgetting about it.  On one of my tile 'spurs' off the main route, I had the treat of seeing a Kingfisher, flying low along the Thames (Duxford).

« Reply #340 on: 17 November, 2018, 02:37:07 pm »
Fuckballs. I loaded up an old ride and I'm down a square, taking my max to a paltry 16x16; you can see it up there in the 'ain' of 'Annfield Plain'.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #341 on: 18 November, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »
Added two new squares which increased the max cluster by 6. It also added two new max squares. so I have collection of 6 of them  :)

« Reply #342 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:29:14 am »
Supposed to be going to Woking to start another 60km ride to pick off a bunch of tiles but the trains are up the spout and it'd be a risk getting round and back home in time to collect daughter from school. Will leave it until next week and just go round Richmond Park a few times (it'll seem novel as I haven't done that for a while).

« Reply #343 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:07:29 am »
I went out yesterday afternoon on a 100km loop to hoover up 2 more squares.  These were ones that were previously 'false positives', now they are 'true positives'.   One involved a detour down a bridleway a short way, the other was a lovely little lane to Colton just to the west of Ashbourne.
I'm now back to 35x35 max square. Max cluster is 1718

I'm also pretty confident now that I've got no more false positives.  I've had veloviewer calculate squares for my 600 longest rides, only rides less than 40km have not been calculated.  The rides not calculated yet are mostly commutes and utility rides around town.  All the false positives were caused by the downsampling of long rides causing straight lines cutting corners across adjacent squares.  Im sure I've captured all those now.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #344 on: 19 November, 2018, 04:25:14 pm »
That's beautiful like. I've got some catching up to do.

« Reply #345 on: 19 November, 2018, 05:28:00 pm »
I left the club run yesterday just before the coffee stop and snook off down a bridleway to get a lonesome square next to Langar airfield.  After the cafe I headed off to hoover up a block of ten tiles around the Holme Pierrepoint/Tollerton area on a mixture of bridleways, towpaths, urban biketracks, pretty country lanes and a couple of main roads.  No increase in max square but it clears the way for future expansion.  SW Derby looks like my next target.

My spy tells me that my clubmates think I am mad/sad - they may be right.

« Reply #346 on: 23 November, 2018, 11:19:27 am »
Anyone know how to configure OSMand app map to display the explorer tile grid?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #347 on: 23 November, 2018, 11:49:25 am »
Anyone know how to configure OSMand app map to display the explorer tile grid?
First you need to install the Explorer helper app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.anisart.vv
Then in that app, go to sync tiles, and select your OsmAnd folder, then tell it to update the data and recreate tiles.
Then in OsmAnd, you can go to map settings, and enable the overlay map.

« Reply #348 on: 23 November, 2018, 01:25:57 pm »
Thanks done all that, I think.  In OsmAnd, I can enable >Overlay map > OsmAnd (online tiles).  Is this it?  Don't see any grids though...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #349 on: 23 November, 2018, 01:36:15 pm »
No, the overlay should be listed as "Explorer".
If its not there, check you set the correct folder in the Explorer app. Probably something like Android/data/net.osmand/files/tiles. May depend on your phone and Android version, and whether you have installed OsmAnd on the internal memory or SD card.