Author Topic: Is anybody else worried?  (Read 7533 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Is anybody else worried?
« on: 03 April, 2020, 06:41:12 pm »
Not a subject that folks want to discuss I suppose, as it's on the news 24/7........BUT.   I had a thought about C19

Suppose the virus is /has been around for a VERY long time, and has been released into ....say... a watercourse, from a melting glacier due to global warming..  I googled a bit, and found some interesting thoughts....

One group of scientists, including dendochronologists, have a theory. The Plague / Black death, swept across the country, and took out 1/2 of the population. I did not know that from 1356? it reoccurred approx every 30 years, until 1666!!!!!!!   But the dendochronologists ??  studied tree rings from 1356/7 and found the trees hardly grew at all, suggesting that some bad stuff happened at this time, and a  suggesting of a meteor / asteroid strike, around this time,that significantly altered the atmosphere, possibly a large cloud of dust, preventing growth by blocking out the sun, hence folks would have been suffering from malnutrition.  Once it took hold it just kept going round the planet.

roll forward to 1918 Spanish Flu, thought to be brought to Europe by Chinese railway labourers, during the war.  But massive ,continuous, multiple explosions, death,  rotting corpses,  disease, etc etc,  was a breading ground for the Virus, This must have affected the atmosphere, hence the environment in which we live. 

Roll forward to now,  Wu Flu,  Unprecedented global warming, a change in the atmosphere /  environment , massive fires in Aus,  raising temps,  and clouds of smoke... melting glaciers, releasing who knows what has been frozen for millennia.............. Not looking good is it.

Am I being paranoid, and do other people think this deeply.   .............................CABIN FEVER!

Re: Is anybody else worried?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2020, 06:52:06 pm »
I think you should drop a couple of hits of acid and watch Eraserhead.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:04:57 pm »
I think you should drop a couple of hits of acid and watch Eraserhead.

you mean like the musicians on the deck of the Titanic. ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:06:30 pm »
No. It's a big world. Shit happens. Sometimes multiple forms of shit happen at the same time. Not neccessarily linked.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:11:01 pm »
We know how old SARS-CoV-2 is (it's not distinct enough to be a species, it's a strain of SARS-CoV-1, hence the name). There's a genetic molecular clock built into us all. Anyway, this particular strain dates back to late 2019.

We can (and have) done a significant amount of metagenomics* on bats as they're reservoirs for all kinds of diseases, including CoVs. So we know a fair amount of how all these viruses relate to each other.

While some bacteria can survive long periods of time as spores (like anthrax), viruses are generally labile, so you're unlikely to find some ancient virus in a glacier, under the icecap, or from a frozen mammoth. You might find a buried UFO though.

It is reasonable to assume that during times of disruption, natural disasters, and warfare, any kind of infection is likely to gain more traction.

*a posh way of saying someone wanders around the forest scooping up bat guano, and then we mass sequence the DNA.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:28:07 pm »
I googled a bit, and found some interesting thoughts....

Hmmmmm.

I would normally say you need to get out more but...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:30:02 pm »
We know how old SARS-CoV-2 is

THAT’S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:32:28 pm »
Glaciers melt all the time and also new ice is formed every winter. Glaciers are moving and rivers of ice. Global warming just means the melting is exceeding the rate of new ice formation.  One or two glaciers are still growing but they are in the Southern Hemisphere.

I think you are picking up elements of this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Light-Black-Death-Connection/dp/0752435981

Focus on what you can control, and don’t worry about what you can’t. No point me worrying about meteor strikes or what glaciers are doing. 

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:42:57 pm »
Are there many glaciers in Wuhan?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:45:14 pm »

Don’t wake the Sheeple!
https://xkcd.com/1013/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:51:55 pm »
All the contrails have gone.  You see, they were just seeding CV19 and now their work is done.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:52:27 pm »
Are there many glaciers in Wuhan?

Not when I was last there in 2001.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:56:23 pm »

Don’t wake the Sheeple!
https://xkcd.com/1013/

Not seen that one before. Made me guffaw heartily.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:04:20 pm »
My understanding of Spanish flue is that it was taken to europe by USAnians in winter 1917/18, where it took hold amongst the allied troops, resurged in winter 1918 and was then spread worldwide by demobbed troops.  I believe they've even traced it back to a specific training camp
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:05:26 pm »
that doesn't mean I'm not worried by the way, I just think it's chance genetic mutation rather than conspiracy, or the planet trying to kill us every 30 years
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #15 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:39:17 pm »
My understanding of Spanish flue is that it was taken to europe by USAnians in winter 1917/18, where it took hold amongst the allied troops, resurged in winter 1918 and was then spread worldwide by demobbed troops.  I believe they've even traced it back to a specific training camp

They have. They found several tissue samples with viable genomic material and reconstructed the virus. That's not something you want to drop in the lab.*

*not actually that big a deal, we all have some immunity to that strain now.

« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:44:43 pm »

Camp Funston, in central Kansas, though it is thought that the outbreak originally began in Haskell County, in the south-west corner of the state.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/journal-plague-year-180965222/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:47:35 pm »
You think the virus is bad now?

Just wait til they switch 5G on  :o

Davef

Is anybody else worried?
« Reply #18 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:12:16 pm »
We know how old SARS-CoV-2 is (it's not distinct enough to be a species, it's a strain of SARS-CoV-1, hence the name). There's a genetic molecular clock built into us all. Anyway, this particular strain dates back to late 2019.

We can (and have) done a significant amount of metagenomics* on bats as they're reservoirs for all kinds of diseases, including CoVs. So we know a fair amount of how all these viruses relate to each other.

While some bacteria can survive long periods of time as spores (like anthrax), viruses are generally labile, so you're unlikely to find some ancient virus in a glacier, under the icecap, or from a frozen mammoth. You might find a buried UFO though.

It is reasonable to assume that during times of disruption, natural disasters, and warfare, any kind of infection is likely to gain more traction.

*a posh way of saying someone wanders around the forest scooping up bat guano, and then we mass sequence the DNA.
I don’t think Sars-cov-2 is a strain of sars-cov-1, that would indicate one has mutated into the other. They will have a common ancestor but not in humans (or necessarily still in existence). I believe the genetically nearest coronavirus is in pangolins. Never liked them. Beady eyes.

Edit: ok I might be wrong on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #19 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:28:41 pm »

We torched our mast yesterday.

« Reply #20 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:30:21 pm »

We torched our mast yesterday.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:36:27 pm »

I don’t think Sars-cov-2 is a strain of sars-cov-1, that would indicate one has mutated into the other. They will have a common ancestor but not in humans (or necessarily still in existence). I believe the genetically nearest coronavirus is in pangolins. Never liked them. Beady eyes.

Poor wording on my part (did I mentioned the six pints of beer, the Tiny Rebel IPA was quite nice), they're both strains of the SARS-CoV, but not different CoVs. Viral taxonomy is more fiddlesome than most as they have rapidly changing genomes and their phenotypes are molecular.

They're all derived quite recently (via mutation) from CoVs in bats (we think). The pangolin thing is unproven, but they have found CoVs with very similar receptor binding proteins that have the same predicted shape affinities for their human cell receptor (ACE-2). Viruses are basically a fast-forward of evolution, they mutate quickly and reproduce in vast numbers. As the adage goes, unlike religion, evolution doesn't need you to believe in it.

Pangolins are ace. But this might be an object lesson in leaving them the fuck alone.

« Reply #22 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:32:40 pm »

Poor wording on my part (did I mention the six pints of beer, the Tiny Rebel IPA was quite nice),

Yes you did mention it. Enjoy your walk tomorrow.

And keep us up to speed with technical info that I/we struggle to understand  :thumbsup:

Davef

Is anybody else worried?
« Reply #23 on: 03 April, 2020, 11:15:43 pm »

Poor wording on my part (did I mentioned the six pints of beer, the Tiny Rebel IPA was quite nice), they're both strains of the SARS-CoV, but not different CoVs. Viral taxonomy is more fiddlesome than most as they have rapidly changing genomes and their phenotypes are molecular.

They're all derived quite recently (via mutation) from CoVs in bats (we think). The pangolin thing is unproven, but they have found CoVs with very similar receptor binding proteins that have the same predicted shape affinities for their human cell receptor (ACE-2). Viruses are basically a fast-forward of evolution, they mutate quickly and reproduce in vast numbers. As the adage goes, unlike religion, evolution doesn't need you to believe in it.

Pangolins are ace. But this might be an object lesson in leaving them the fuck alone.
I don’t think ACE2 are the only widgets those corona pointy bits are sticking to. I reckon BSG too which is maybe why anti malaria potions might help if they don’t kill you.

And I am still blaming the pangolins

spindrift

« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2020, 11:27:54 pm »
Amanda Holden's signed a petition against 5g because it "sucks all the oxygen out of the atmosphere". Also Calum Best.