Author Topic: Merry Hill Waterfront to Himley  (Read 1906 times)

Merry Hill Waterfront to Himley
« on: 10 June, 2019, 11:16:58 am »
Morning forum people,  During a chat with a fellow cyclist yesterday, he kind of said that I could get front Merryhill waterfront to Himley on the old South staffs railway walk  :-\

I always thought that this path disappeared just after Himley ?

I was aiming to cycle from my home in Codsall, jump on the towpath at barnhurst lane and take the canal to stourbridge and upto Merryhill, then to return on the old railway track via wombourne

Any help much appreciated  ;) 

Re: Merry Hill Waterfront to Himley
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2019, 05:25:02 pm »
I think you are right.
The OS Explorer 219 only shows the old railway as a recreational path only to Wombourne, The map shows signs of the railway and some years ago I was in a small group that worked our way through to Pensnett and Fenns Pools.
It included a navigating a traveller's camp and six year olds on quad bikes in those days.

The canal definitely goes to Merry Hell and it forms part of a 35 mile Black Country canal route via the Netherton tunnel and the BCN.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2019, 05:51:46 pm »
Friends don't let friends go to Merry Hell  :hand:

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2019, 10:58:27 pm »
I've often ridden an off-road route from Merry Hill to Himley (and on to Wolverhampton).

From the Waterfront in Merry Hill take Waterfront Way to the island on the A461
Take the third exit towards Dudley and continue for about 100 yards.
Turn left onto Terrace street.
At T junction with North View drive turn left
At the end of North View drive there is a turning circle. Ride over the grass and bear to the right. You will see a vehicle barrier which you can pass through.
Follow the track on a raised embankment which runs between Fens Pool and Middle pool.
The path curves round to the left and on the right will be back gardens of houses visible.
Wheel your bike down the steps and across Queen street. Then go up the steps in front of you.
Keep on this track (lots of downhill and a couple of short tunnels) Beware of poor surface.
Continue between the remnants of an old bridge.
Eventually, you will see a chain link fence in front. Turn left and in 20 yards there will be rough steps going up.
You are now at the start of the South Staffs disused railway route.
At the top, turn right and continue until you get to the bridge over the A449. You are then in Himley.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2019, 06:03:32 am »
 :thumbsup:
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2019, 07:01:02 am »
I've often ridden an off-road route from Merry Hill to Himley (and on to Wolverhampton).

From the Waterfront in Merry Hill take Waterfront Way to the island on the A461
Take the third exit towards Dudley and continue for about 100 yards.
Turn left onto Terrace street.
At T junction with North View drive turn left
At the end of North View drive there is a turning circle. Ride over the grass and bear to the right. You will see a vehicle barrier which you can pass through.
Follow the track on a raised embankment which runs between Fens Pool and Middle pool.
The path curves round to the left and on the right will be back gardens of houses visible.
Wheel your bike down the steps and across Queen street. Then go up the steps in front of you.
Keep on this track (lots of downhill and a couple of short tunnels) Beware of poor surface.
Continue between the remnants of an old bridge.
Eventually, you will see a chain link fence in front. Turn left and in 20 yards there will be rough steps going up.
You are now at the start of the South Staffs disused railway route.
At the top, turn right and continue until you get to the bridge over the A449. You are then in Himley.

Thank you so much, to be honest I couldn't have asked for a more concise answer  ;) :thumbsup: :)

Hopefully will try this out next week while I am off work for the week. I also want to fit in a ride to Birmingham by towpath, and then maybe round to Stourbridge and back through Bratch locks etc  :-\

« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2019, 08:32:27 am »
If you need any more information concerning canal towpath routes and loops to either the North or West of Birmingham feel free to ask.

In the past I've done loops of up to 82 miles all on towpaths, and all starting from Wolverhampton.

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2019, 12:20:48 pm »
If you need any more information concerning canal towpath routes and loops to either the North or West of Birmingham feel free to ask.

In the past I've done loops of up to 82 miles all on towpaths, and all starting from Wolverhampton.

Many thanks, let me get this first ride done and dusted, and i'll be back to pester you for the knowledge  ;)  :thumbsup:

Did you ride the Shropshire Highlands Challenge on Sunday Blade ?

« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:34:02 pm »
I had a busy weekend.

A VERY wet Brewood Cycle Challenge on Saturday and a surprisingly dry Shropshire Highland Challenge on Sunday.

Enjoyed both events, although my Garmin seems to have suffered some water damage  :(

essexian

« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:58:17 pm »
I had a busy weekend.

A VERY wet Brewood Cycle Challenge on Saturday....

Sadly, I missed this event this year due to illness.  However, thinking back at how different the weather was this year compared to last! Last year was hot hot hot!

I hope they had a good turnout as I thought last year was poorly attended compared with previous years.

« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2019, 06:42:09 pm »
I had a busy weekend.

A VERY wet Brewood Cycle Challenge on Saturday and a surprisingly dry Shropshire Highland Challenge on Sunday.

Enjoyed both events, although my Garmin seems to have suffered some water damage  :(

Were you the chap in the ACF jersey I chatted to just prior to the 1st tea stop ?

« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2019, 06:53:10 pm »
I had a busy weekend.

A VERY wet Brewood Cycle Challenge on Saturday....

Sadly, I missed this event this year due to illness.  However, thinking back at how different the weather was this year compared to last! Last year was hot hot hot!

I hope they had a good turnout as I thought last year was poorly attended compared with previous years.

I didn't ride last year, but based on previous years that I had ridden there looked to be a meeger turnout, and as the parking was only around the perimeter of the pitches there didn't look to be that many cars, buts thats only my opinion. Personally for me the lack of 'control cards' for the tea stops was a mistake, as any Tom, Dick or Harry could help themselves to the massive amount of free food that was offer ...

Those large almond biscuit cakes were amazing though  ;D

« Reply #12 on: 11 June, 2019, 11:37:05 pm »
I had a busy weekend.

Were you the chap in the ACF jersey I chatted to just prior to the 1st tea stop ?
Yes, that was me.

« Reply #13 on: 12 June, 2019, 06:42:52 am »
I had a busy weekend.

Yes, that was me.

twas nice to meet you  :thumbsup:

Hopefully our paths will cross again  :)