Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 121379 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #325 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:03:55 pm »
.... in Aldi they had a double wall-board with a set of lidless hook-on boxes ....

Well, it was Aldi

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #326 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:05:47 pm »
You should keep the taps separate from one another.

'tis the BRITISH way   ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfHgUu_8KgA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HfHgUu_8KgA&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/HfHgUu_8KgA

« Reply #327 on: 11 May, 2020, 09:33:45 pm »
You should keep the taps separate from one another.

'tis the BRITISH way   ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfHgUu_8KgA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HfHgUu_8KgA&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/HfHgUu_8KgA

Our student digs was an old house with the attic tank.  We thought nothing of it until I came back after the hols a day or so early and ran a bath.  Out came tiny bones and feathers.  I got into the attic and, yes there was a dead pigeon in the tank, very very dead.  Well rotted in fact.

Some one hadn't bothered to replace the lid and Percy the pigeon was not a swimmer.  It was not a nice job draining and clearing the tank but I was awarded a bottle of whisky (Chivas Regal) out of it from my housemates who then helped me drink it in one session. 

Very pleased to ditch the tanks in our York house.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #328 on: 11 May, 2020, 11:35:34 pm »
Everyone needs a prodder. You know a nice big screwdriver for prodding stuff you really don't want to touch yourself as its either very dirty or too close to dangerous whirly bits.

So here is a nice one I picked up at a car boot sale last year for 50p.

It's a nice Stanley 25c, about 40cm long. Probably about 50 years old and someone has definitely been using it as a paint can opener.

<Snip>

So you still need a prodder?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #329 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:44:19 am »
This one's a bit past that sort of restoration.  It's a Marples apparently.  Very effective still despite no regrinding for years.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #330 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:56:40 am »
.... in Aldi they had a double wall-board with a set of lidless hook-on boxes ....

Well, it was Aldi

;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #331 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:07:50 am »
This one's a bit past that sort of restoration.  It's a Marples apparently.  Very effective still despite no regrinding for years.

That ones perfect for a restoration. So long as the shafts straight it will be great. An hour or so with a wire wheel a buffer and a scraper and it will be nice and shiny any ready for a re spray or just a shellacking of the handle dependant on your taste.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #332 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:25:01 am »

That ones perfect for a restoration. So long as the shafts straight it will be great. An hour or so with a wire wheel a buffer and a scraper and it will be nice and shiny any ready for a re spray or just a shellacking of the handle dependant on your taste.

Yeah. I have one like that, that was my father's, but someone had used it as a lever and it's off-true.  That flat bit of the shaft is vulnerable.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #333 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:43:55 am »

Yeah. I have one like that, that was my father's, but someone had used it as a lever and it's off-true.  That flat bit of the shaft is vulnerable.

I've got one too which belonged to my father.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #334 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:12:53 pm »

I've got one too which belonged to my father.

That would have belonged to my grandfather.  He liked good tools and left a lot of good stuff to my father who didn't respect such things and always bought cheap if he had to.   I did tidy that up because it had been used as a cold chisel and the handle was rough but it's fine as it is and will snap screws before it slips.  I have two drivers of last resort of which it one, the other is for cross headed screws.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #335 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:00:47 am »
I've just bought a set of Cobalt drill bits. They're so.... perfect!
1mm - 10mm in 0.5mm increments.

Let's hope I don't snap any.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #336 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:16:00 pm »
Just received two Gedore no 1B spanners of that eBay. A 17mm and a new old stock 12mm. Can a spanner be a thing of beauty? I think they can, these are just lovely. I am going to have to get a full set of the common sizes, might take a while. They have been producing these unchanged for decades. You really have to handle one to appreciate it, they aren't shiny like a lot of spanners just perfectly weighted and quite slim.

Not my picture. It's from http://alloy-artifacts.org.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #337 on: 27 May, 2020, 12:00:32 am »
I just broke my second favourite[1] screwdriver bodging the landlord's shitty kitchen drawer.   >:(

Did I mention that I've replaced this with one[1] of Wera's finest?

I'm particularly taken with the grippy FRIKKIN LAZER treatment of the tip.  I bought a box of posh woodscrews last time I (literally) made the bed, and they came with a corresponding driver bit that was similarly enhanced, which explains why it's always been so suspiciously good at staying engaged when power-driven...

I'm less convinced by the grip.  Though I'm sure what it lacks in twiddle it'll make up for next time I have to apply ham-fisted monkey force to something.

[1] Well, actually two - in the general spirit of the thread it seemed silly not to get a decent PZ0 at the same time.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #338 on: 27 May, 2020, 12:18:18 pm »
With my workshop/garage and an increase in woodworking . . . and therefore dust from machinery I've invested in one of these

- bit difficult to see but it's made by Record, has a fan and filter system that can run at different speeds and a timer to have it running while you're working and then carry on for up to 4 hours to "scrub the air" removing micro-particles.  It has a remote handset, hence being able to hang it from the ceiling and control it.

The difference it makes is remarkable, especially when routing MDF (I, of course, have my respirator mask on for the dusty work)

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #339 on: 27 May, 2020, 01:54:10 pm »
That's what I could do with but (a) my ceiling would fall in and (b) I'd be bashing my head on it all the time.  I've thought of building a DIY one into my dexion shelving, though.

robgul

« Reply #340 on: 27 May, 2020, 02:09:54 pm »
That's what I could do with but (a) my ceiling would fall in and (b) I'd be bashing my head on it all the time.  I've thought of building a DIY one into my dexion shelving, though.

.... it's just about clear of my head (I'm about 6'4") by about 1.5 inches (will be more when I can get a haircut  ;D) - I now have some yellow fluo tape on the timber frame holding it just as a reminder.

In the same vein - I have insatlled a run of 40mm waste pipe along the wall above the benching with Tee pieces to connect the various dust creating machines (mitre saw, table saw, sander, routers, bandsaw etc) - that connects to a Henry vacuum cleaner ( at the moment it's direct but I have a small cyclone that'll be on a separate collection drum)   Machines all use flexible hoses with 40mm waste pipe push fit connectors - too complicated to make blast gates so I keep all the Tee inputs closed with a simple waste pipe plug and just remove the nearest plug and connect the hose from the machine in use.  The Henry is on a plug-in socket unit that has a remote control.  It all works a treat to capture most of the sawdust.

Rob

Edit:  If you're wonderng, the grey shrouds in the background are lightweight plastic/nylon covers that are fitted over 3 of my bikes that hang in the garage to reduce the dust.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #341 on: 27 May, 2020, 03:31:21 pm »
I ought to do something similar to your 40mm pipe but I'm too lazy.  In the adjoining bit of the barn I've got a Titan vacuum cleaner sucking on an old drum that acts as a cyclone of sorts. The hose goes through the wall, and in the shop I have around 10m of flexible 40mm hose suspended from the ceiling on bungee cords.  It works, and I can plug it into conventional vacuum cleaner tools in the unlikely event that I want to vacuum the floor.

My bikes live in a corner, under the plastic sheeting from a mattress.  Just now I can't work on them because of my defunct ceiling-hook "system". I do have a workstand but the wretched thing was designed to trip people up so it's in the next bit of the barn, in disgrace.

robgul

« Reply #342 on: 27 May, 2020, 04:21:24 pm »
I ought to do something similar to your 40mm pipe but I'm too lazy.  In the adjoining bit of the barn I've got a Titan vacuum cleaner sucking on an old drum that acts as a cyclone of sorts. The hose goes through the wall, and in the shop I have around 10m of flexible 40mm hose suspended from the ceiling on bungee cords.  It works, and I can plug it into conventional vacuum cleaner tools in the unlikely event that I want to vacuum the floor.

My bikes live in a corner, under the plastic sheeting from a mattress.  Just now I can't work on them because of my defunct ceiling-hook "system". I do have a workstand but the wretched thing was designed to trip people up so it's in the next bit of the barn, in disgrace.

I only have a single garage where I have a "cycle workshop" side and "woodworking" side - the cycle side has a full-blown Park Tool shop workstand (the one with the big heavy steel floorplate) but it's mounted on a trolley with locking castors so I can wheel the plate under a shelf unit, with the arm tucked in the top shelf.  Two of the machines - planer/thicknesser and table saw are also on trolleys with castors so they can be wheeled under the woodworking MFT bench.

I may get round to some pix!

Rob

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #343 on: 27 May, 2020, 04:28:28 pm »
Can a spanner be a thing of beauty? I think they can, these are just lovely.

Not my picture. It's from http://alloy-artifacts.org.
I think the picture proves that you're right.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #344 on: 27 May, 2020, 05:51:45 pm »
Over recent years I've twice decided to buy cheapo tools (at least twice that come to mind)

#1 - 1/2" router. A B&Q Titan. I've had a Trend 1/4" for many years, bought thinking they were first line, and have been distinctly mildly unimpressed. "Little" things like the plunge lock not working properly, led me to buy the Titan as it would only be for occasional use. On a cost per use basis, I suppose it is fair as I don't use it much, but it really isn't nice. I'm thinking I might invest in a second hand Makita or the like. Anyone fancy a Titan? Going cheep?

#2 - a ScrewStation multi tool. How had I survived for so long without a multitool? But boyohboy it gives bad vibes. Replaced now with a Makita bare-body. Anyone fancy the old one? Gives you a good buzz.

All in all, unsurprising outcome for buying cheap.

robgul

« Reply #345 on: 27 May, 2020, 06:24:18 pm »
Over recent years I've twice decided to buy cheapo tools (at least twice that come to mind)

#1 - 1/2" router. A B&Q Titan. I've had a Trend 1/4" for many years, bought thinking they were first line, and have been distinctly mildly unimpressed. "Little" things like the plunge lock not working properly, led me to buy the Titan as it would only be for occasional use. On a cost per use basis, I suppose it is fair as I don't use it much, but it really isn't nice. I'm thinking I might invest in a second hand Makita or the like. Anyone fancy a Titan? Going cheep?

#2 - a ScrewStation multi tool. How had I survived for so long without a multitool? But boyohboy it gives bad vibes. Replaced now with a Makita bare-body. Anyone fancy the old one? Gives you a good buzz.

All in all, unsurprising outcome for buying cheap.

I'd hesitate at buying a secondhand router as many will have had a hard life - I had a basic router that did what I wanted (Energer I think) and still does small work - ealry this year I bought a Bosch - dunno which model, about £130 - and it's excellent.

.... and you're right, I've bought a couple of cheapies (Dremel and multitool lookalikes) that turned out to be crap and have been replaced.  That said, I have 3 or of the Aldi Ferrex or Workzone tools and for DIY they are pretty good.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #346 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:10:58 pm »
Japanese pull-saw arrived today from Axminster Tools - superb.   

I need make a very fine cut, about 1.9m long, to remove a mahogany moulding from a bookcase and then re-use it on another section of the bookcase - the sharpness of the teeth (which have almost no "set") and the pulling rather than pushing action has made the job pretty simple - cut about half-way along so far - the blade slices through the glued area between the the moulding and the frame very smoothly, making minimal dust.

Highly recommended.

Rob

« Reply #347 on: 29 May, 2020, 10:47:37 pm »
I still have a Japanese saw I bought in Japan about 45 years ago, in a Daimaru department store.

They cut very fine as the thin blade doesn't have to resist buckling. The other useful feature having two sides, fine and coarse, which you can flip between; start with the fine, then change to coarse for faster cutting.

robgul

« Reply #348 on: 30 May, 2020, 07:31:38 am »
I still have a Japanese saw I bought in Japan about 45 years ago, in a Daimaru department store.

They cut very fine as the thin blade doesn't have to resist buckling. The other useful feature having two sides, fine and coarse, which you can flip between; start with the fine, then change to coarse for faster cutting.

Mine is a single-sided blade - with teeth for hardwoods  : https://www.axminstertools.com/hardwood-kataba-saw-250mm-103692   - the handle is very long which makes it very easy to get good long strokes with the blade.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #349 on: 30 May, 2020, 08:10:08 am »

I only have a single garage where I have a "cycle workshop" side and "woodworking" side - the cycle side has a full-blown Park Tool shop workstand (the one with the big heavy steel floorplate) but it's mounted on a trolley with locking castors so I can wheel the plate under a shelf unit, with the arm tucked in the top shelf.  Two of the machines - planer/thicknesser and table saw are also on trolleys with castors so they can be wheeled under the woodworking MFT bench.

I may get round to some pix!

Rob

Unfortunately, my workbenches already have all the stuff under them that they can take.

My stand is a 69€ Decathlon effort, very sturdy but with four feet designed to catch the unwary when there isn't a bike on it.  It's also a PITA to take apart & stow, especially if you know you might need to get it out again tomorrow.  I'll have to see if I can make a sort of box girder out of spare boards and fix it across the width of the workshop to support both ceiling and bike hooks.  The roof above the ceiling is a very rough concrete slab that I really do not fancy trying to drill holes in - lots of gravel or whatever in it.

I hate these niggly jobs that get in the way of doing real stuff.