Author Topic: Password Manager  (Read 3522 times)

Password Manager
« on: 13 May, 2020, 04:02:53 pm »
Any recommendations for a good one?
IA

Re: Password Manager
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2020, 04:09:29 pm »
I'm happy with lastpass

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2020, 04:31:48 pm »
I love Dashlane, comes with built in VPN, plugins for most common browsers, os and mobiles. Also has cool features like password sharing, darknet scans, auto change passwords etc.

My one main gripe with it is that it's not great with application passwords.

I may have a referral link if interested. Here you go, https://www.dashlane.com/cs/dPRe_Lb_xZIQ 6 months of free premium dashlane for the both of us.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2020, 04:45:09 pm »
I'm a happy user of 1Password.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2020, 04:57:47 pm »
LastPass here.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2020, 06:17:56 pm »
I use the Mac keychain. It works except when it doesn't (for instance, it doesn't insert a password into any non-standard applications – like the Cisco VPN, grumble, so I have to copy and paste the bloody thing). I'm not sure if any of the alternative products does a better job.

I also keep a password list squirrelled in a file on encrypted disk volume.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2020, 06:59:43 pm »
I still use Keepass and the plugin for Firefox. It's pretty ancient now and I think the cool kids have moved on but it's still doing the job for me.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2020, 07:23:50 pm »
LastPass has been very good.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2020, 07:26:53 pm »
SplashID

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2020, 08:04:37 pm »
Lastpass and Keepass and Roboform used in this household, the latter is chargeable.

Lastpass is by far the best, it just works.
Keepass and the plugins are sometimes a pain, starting to try and monetise it with 'Kee' works OK, not as slick as Lastpass.
Roboform was the original we used but only has a 3 machine limit, works OK and my wife likes it's ease of use (won't try Lastpass)

Ben T

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:07:26 pm »
I used to use last pass but switched to 1password cos work use it, and I can have the one account with two different vaults, a personal one and the shared work one.
It also seems to have better URL matching, so if you have lots of similar URLs like test1.myapp.com, test2.myapp.com, myapp.com, then last pass seemed to not differentiate between them whereas 1password does that better.

« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:14:25 pm »
I use Lastpass. They all have limitations of one sort or another. LP has been fine as long as you don’t expect fields to be populated automatically on every website. Usually some clicks are required, the odd copy and paste.

« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:02:40 pm »
I like Keepass. I used Roboform years ago, before that.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:14:44 pm »
Another lastpass user here.

« Reply #14 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:25:22 pm »
#1 - Decide how paranoid you are, to determine whether you use a central DB like Lastpass, or want to keep your data locally. For all the undoubted security, Lastpass and the hooks into the browser is such an obvious target for hackers, I avoid it. You may prefer the convenience of having an online service that works on multiple platforms which then brings you to decision

#2 - Decide if you need a cross platform service. That might be a tiping factor to choose Lastpass, but if not, then Keepass is the best cross platform option.

If you don't want an central DB service and you don't want a cross platform, you are free to choose any of the myriad of largely platform specific apps

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #15 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:35:57 pm »
Password Safe.  https://pwsafe.org/
It is simple, free, open source. All offline, stored on your own computer. Though could sync with Dropbox or similar if you want.
Also versions for Android or iOS etc.

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2020, 08:00:04 pm »
Ok, possibly a stupid question but what is the downside of Google password manager? 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2020, 08:02:08 pm »
If nothing else, like any Google service, it might go the way of Google Reader with little warning.

« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2022, 06:28:31 pm »
It looks as if Lastpass is failing on Safari, with an ongoing issue with a blank popup when you try to use the extension, making things very laborious indeed. Support is non-existent: trying to reply to a thread on Lastpass support involves circular redirections around LogMeIn, GoTo!, then back where you started. Contact is by phone call only - you request a call, receive no call, and then an email that says they tried to call you.

I want an alternative that works across MacOS, Chrome on Windows, and an Android phone. Happy to pay for it. What’s thought to be best?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2022, 06:42:31 pm »
I've been trying out Bitwarden.  It seems to work.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2022, 06:50:09 pm »
I've been trying out Bitwarden.  It seems to work.

Same, since LastPass started with their shenanigans on the free tier. I'm currently using it on Chrome, Windows desktop, iOS, and a portable Windows version on a thumbstick for at work. Happy with all of them.

« Reply #21 on: 29 April, 2022, 07:22:52 pm »
Keepass, mentioned above, is good.

« Reply #22 on: 29 April, 2022, 10:34:04 pm »
What about 1Password?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #23 on: 29 April, 2022, 11:02:27 pm »
What about 1Password?

It looks fine to me, but unless you need specific functionality which one of the free options doesn't offer, I don't really see the point in paying $3/month.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 29 April, 2022, 11:15:37 pm »
I use 1Password, and I pay for it.
It is simpler than it looks.