Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951395 times)

fuzzy

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4300 on: 07 August, 2014, 09:24:00 pm »
Couldn't sleep Saturday night, so I ended up watching Apocalypto, followed by The Odd Angry Shot (on even later than the last time the BBC showed it).

I keep meaning to grab Apocolypto as a cheapie from the used section.

Thre Odd Angry Shot is an awesome film.

« Reply #4301 on: 07 August, 2014, 09:33:03 pm »
Boyhood. Completely absorbed by it; a humane and gentle film.
Seconded. Absorbing enough that while I wouldn't say the 166 minutes whizzed by, I was never tempted to take furtive glances at the time. My first reaction when it finished was that it will be a shame to wait till 2026 for the sequel, but more of a shame if they try to rush one out before then.  The second reaction was that I was glad we didn't go with our usual film-going friends.  She has a tendency to snooze and he prefers action movies (though she did stay awake throughout Philomena and he grudgingly tolerated its lack of car chases, explosions and shootings).

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4302 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:57:17 am »
Couldn't sleep Saturday night, so I ended up watching Apocalypto, followed by The Odd Angry Shot (on even later than the last time the BBC showed it).

Slightly NSFW quote and link behind tags
(click to show/hide)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4303 on: 09 August, 2014, 12:37:44 am »
"The LEGO Movie"

Far, far, better than you can ever imagine.

I really wasn't expecting much (it's a LEGO movie after all) but, after watching it, I can't really see much in in for kids....it's just so full of great "grown up" humour.

Tip.  Buy the DVD for the kids and YOU watch it.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4304 on: 12 August, 2014, 06:33:46 pm »

Slightly NSFW quote and link behind tags
(click to show/hide)

And his reaction is the funniest moment in the film.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4305 on: 12 August, 2014, 10:55:39 pm »
Sunshine On Leith.

Cheesetastic. Love it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ruth

« Reply #4306 on: 13 August, 2014, 09:36:54 am »
War of the Worlds.  The Tom Cruise one.

It's so much better than I remembered.  Full of suspense, tension and fear, it's biggest fault is that it isn't set in Surrey, because that would be awesome.  Tim Robbins acts up a storm, and so does Cruise.  I reckon if you live in any of the places in this film it'd be truly chilling.

I don't know why I was so scathing about this when it came out, I love it now and watched it twice this week!

« Reply #4307 on: 13 August, 2014, 12:07:13 pm »

It's so much better than I remembered.  Full of suspense, tension and fear, it's biggest fault is that it isn't set in Surrey, because that would be awesome.

There were two other WotW films produced at the same time as the one starring Tom Cruise, one of which was set in Victorian England - however, you should be careful what you wish for, because the "more faithful" production went straight to DVD and by nearly all accounts was absolutely awful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._G._Wells%27_The_War_of_the_Worlds_(2005_film)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #4308 on: 14 August, 2014, 09:55:12 am »

It's so much better than I remembered.  Full of suspense, tension and fear, it's biggest fault is that it isn't set in Surrey, because that would be awesome.  Tim Robbins acts up a storm, and so does Cruise.  I reckon if you live in any of the places in this film it'd be truly chilling.

I don't know why I was so scathing about this when it came out, I love it now and watched it twice this week!

I really liked it. Lil Tom does a good not-very-good hero. I loved the setting actually, with the initial backdrop of the Bayonne Bridge towering forebodingly over the house.

If they'd based it in 21st Century Surrey, much of the film would be the locals writing to the Daily Mail to complain about the roads being closed.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4309 on: 14 August, 2014, 10:36:53 am »
"The LEGO Movie"

Far, far, better than you can ever imagine.

I really wasn't expecting much (it's a LEGO movie after all) but, after watching it, I can't really see much in in for kids....it's just so full of great "grown up" humour.

Tip.  Buy the DVD for the kids and YOU watch it.
Lust watched it, rather silly but jolly good fun. I nearly cried, OK I did, when I saw the 80's space man Lego with a crack on his helmet, just like my favorit Lego fig. Now where is my box of Lego, I gotta build something.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

citoyen

« Reply #4310 on: 18 August, 2014, 12:56:20 pm »
Nebraska.

Alexander Payne can do no wrong in my eyes. Another hit. Very funny. Poignant. Clever. Beautiful.

« Reply #4311 on: 18 August, 2014, 02:11:53 pm »
Another Year

My goodness, that was depressing! A fine film though.

White Material

I'm afraid I just didn't get this, mostly the ending but other parts did not seem to tie up either. It's one of those films that jumps backwards and forwards in time, but it was too complicated to follow at a single watching and not a good enough film to be worth watching again to work it out.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

citoyen

« Reply #4312 on: 18 August, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »
Another Year

My goodness, that was depressing! A fine film though.

Went to see that at the cinema with my wife. Afterwards, we drove home in stunned silence. Great film but really tough viewing.

fuzzy

« Reply #4313 on: 21 August, 2014, 11:28:53 pm »
A Beautiful Mind again. Another film I love. Here am I, without a psychological illness and barely able to progress beyond 4 x 2 is mumble mumble, twice two is 4, 3 times 2 is six, 4 times two is? 8, 4 x 2 is 8! Whereas John Nash, afflicted with an extremely debilitating condition can come up with a truly original mathamatical idea. Brilliant.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4314 on: 21 August, 2014, 11:39:06 pm »
Salmon fishing in the Yemen. Whimsical fun that would benefit from a better colour balance. Will have to watch it again on a different TV.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #4315 on: 22 August, 2014, 06:37:58 am »
Paycheck.

Last night's late film on bbc1 and I couldn't be bothered to go to bed. I think the pertinent phrase is "high concept". What a lot of rot. I don't mind suspending my disbelief but the plot was about as watertight as a colander.

Based on a Philip K Dick story, apparently, and has a similar memory-erasing hook to Total Recall, or perhaps more like the Jeremy Northam film Cypher, but isn't nearly as well put together as either of those. Plus Ben Affleck is dreadful.

Ruth

« Reply #4316 on: 22 August, 2014, 04:41:03 pm »
Salmon fishing in the Yemen. Whimsical fun that would benefit from a better colour balance. Will have to watch it again on a different TV.

Aah, that is such a nice film. But a better book.

« Reply #4317 on: 24 August, 2014, 10:53:10 pm »
Enemy

Puzzling to watch, until the penny dropped.

Chris S

« Reply #4318 on: 25 August, 2014, 05:47:23 pm »
Hmm... recently, my viewing has been influenced a lot by people dying. Which is quite depressing  :(.

Tonight - Jurassic Park.

RIP: Richard Attenborough, Bob Peck,

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4319 on: 25 August, 2014, 05:53:22 pm »
The other night I finally watched Labyrinth.

It was... bizarre. I wonder what David Bowie thinks when he watches it back after all these years (especially the outfits)?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4320 on: 25 August, 2014, 07:39:53 pm »

It was... bizarre. I wonder what David Bowie thinks when he watches it back after all these years (especially the outfits)?

"Testicles!"

It's what everyone else is thinking...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4321 on: 25 August, 2014, 08:50:05 pm »
Inbetweeners 2.  I thought it was hilarious; the Guardian-reading woman I was with didn't  ;D

The water slide scene shamelessly rips off Caddyshack but is many, many times nastier  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

« Reply #4322 on: 25 August, 2014, 11:08:51 pm »
Point Break

Seen it a few times before but not for a good many years and was worried it wouldn't live up to my memory. But no, it's still awesome. One of my all-time top ten, I reckon.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4323 on: 26 August, 2014, 01:03:00 pm »
Sharknado. Not as good as I was expecting.

I went to see that on the big screen with some colleagues last year. The entire audience was in crotch-related hysterics by the time they got to the weird-dimensions maze bit.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

red marley

« Reply #4324 on: 26 August, 2014, 01:48:45 pm »
Say what you like about Bowie in that film, but with him you certainly get the whole package.