Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951398 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5425 on: 18 September, 2015, 03:05:38 pm »
Good job it wasn't Alien Jo. You'd have had to say:"No tongues!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5426 on: 18 September, 2015, 04:21:06 pm »
I saw Prometheus in the first week of release, and was, like everyone else on the planet, annoyed by teh stupid and disappointed by the lost potential.

I am also a regular Secret Cinema attender (immersive cinema experience with dressing up, live actors, imaginative set and a film unknown in advance). Usually, the films they put on are of the quality cult variety (Battle of Algiers, Miller's Crossing, Third Man, Brazil etc.) You can imagine my delight when two days after seeing Prometheus I turned up at Secret Cinema only to find it was Prometheus.
This is a story so twisted and horrible, it could only really happen in something like Tales of the Unexpected. It's too horrible to even dismiss as "A First World Problem".

People of YACF: before you rant on here about the pain of sitting through some rubbish movie, reread jo's sorry story above. And think on.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #5427 on: 18 September, 2015, 07:00:33 pm »
The thing about Prometheus is that it's both astoundingly and resoundingly bad. And it didn't have to be, they had the money, a director with enough reputation to stand up to the producers, and one hell of a platform to jump from. Who doesn't love Alien (OK, with the exception of my mum) and its claustrophobic suspense. Now we all know what it's like to be stuck in a spaceship with an alien that wants to play mummy with your tummy. Then there was Aliens, possibly the best movie ever made. What didn't that have? Gun-totin' sassy talkin' space marines. Check. Plasma rifles with LED digits. Check. Metric fucktonnes of aliens with bad attitudes and acid blood. Check. Feisty heroine who ain't no one's sidekick or love interest. Check. Corporate douchebags. Check. Needless flashy lights and steam. Check. Self-destruct in fifteen minutes. Check. And a major alien ass-kicking finale. Frankly that's my brain on Chuck Norris.

Now to be honest, I know everyone complains about the Phantom Menace spreading its buttocks wide and unclenching on the entire Star Wars franchise, but these people forget Ewoks. OK, the final two Alien films are forgettable but we all know franchises should stop at two. The third always sucks like Dyson during a power surge. Prometheus was more disappointing because it was insultingly bad, like they thought, they're all idiots anyway, who cares. I mean, come on, they hired the guy who wrote the script for the last season of Lost. Accidents like that don't just happen. It's a movie that laughs at you from the beginning and laughs so hard that it leaks so much wee by the end that it needs to change its underpants. It's pointing its finger at you, telling its movie friends, look at that idiot. It must have been deliberately bad, they had decent actors in Theron, Idris, and Fassbender, which they mostly wasted. Did no one at any point in that production from first reading the script put up their hand and say 'erm, hold on a minute, I don't want to be awkward, but really?'

Edit: oh, as mentioned, they stole the plot wholesale from Mission to Mars, a movie that couldn't even be bothered trying to be any good.

Riggers

« Reply #5428 on: 21 September, 2015, 09:26:35 am »
Ian. You'd have been further disappointed had you bothered to watch some of the Director's cuts. They cut out (no pun intended) the part in the alien labyrinth system where Harry Corbett pops up and questions of Sooty: "What's that Sooty. Sue's got a bun in the oven … and it's an'alien!!?"

I couldn't watch any further. Perhaps there were others I missed …

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #5429 on: 21 September, 2015, 03:36:59 pm »
Ian. You'd have been further disappointed had you bothered to watch some of the Director's cuts. They cut out (no pun intended) the part in the alien labyrinth system where Harry Corbett pops up and questions of Sooty: "What's that Sooty. Sue's got a bun in the oven … and it's an'alien!!?"

That was the point where I felt the CGI had got out of hand.  I mean, Harry Corbett's dead isn't he?  Even I know that...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

ian

« Reply #5430 on: 21 September, 2015, 03:42:43 pm »
You do know that re-imagining Prometheus with the cast of Sooty and Sweep really makes it all make sense. Perhaps they weren't available for casting at the time. As the useless top lady science bod on the spaceship justified her multi-trillion dollar bug hunt, 'I choose to believe' (that's how science works, kids). I choose to believe this movie would have been better had it starred Sooty.

fuzzy

« Reply #5431 on: 21 September, 2015, 03:45:00 pm »
You do know that re-imagining Prometheus with the cast of Sooty and Sweep really makes it all make sense. Perhaps they weren't available for casting at the time. As the useless top lady science bod on the spaceship justified her multi-trillion dollar bug hunt, 'I choose to believe' (that's how science works, kids). I choose to believe this movie would have been better had it starred Sooty.

Nope. Prometheus is crying out to be redone with Zig and Zag

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5432 on: 21 September, 2015, 03:55:22 pm »
Oh, what a lovely war.  Great film.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5433 on: 21 September, 2015, 04:57:21 pm »

Fending off marauding aliens with a water pistol?  I'd pay good money to see that, though not much.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Riggers

« Reply #5434 on: 21 September, 2015, 05:05:17 pm »
<Harry Corbett> "Oh, what a mess. Bye-bye everybody, bye-bye."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5435 on: 21 September, 2015, 05:06:21 pm »

Fending off marauding aliens with a water pistol?  I'd pay good money to see that, though not much.

Dan Dare, Rogue Planet, 1955.

« Reply #5436 on: 22 September, 2015, 08:40:09 am »

I couldn't watch any further. Perhaps there were others I missed …

That's so bad it must surely be good, no? 

It's like art, it shows that bad stuff happens.
Move Faster and Bake Things

fuzzy

« Reply #5437 on: 22 September, 2015, 09:21:53 am »
John Wick

(click to show/hide)

Was surprisingly OK.

Chris S

« Reply #5438 on: 22 September, 2015, 07:24:05 pm »
Mad Max (Yeah, the original one with the racist weirdo actor).

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5439 on: 22 September, 2015, 07:33:23 pm »

(click to show/hide)

You're not the only one.

(click to show/hide)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5440 on: 22 September, 2015, 07:50:46 pm »
Avengers: Age of Megatron (or some such)

Well it filled a boring evening.

We *tried*to watch Atlantic Rim. I really did try, honest, but it is so bad it goes all the way through good and back into the realms of BAD again!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5441 on: 23 September, 2015, 08:51:42 am »

(click to show/hide)

You're not the only one.

(click to show/hide)
Definitely not the only one. I'm a big fan of the 2nd movie. The first is as described by Kim.
(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5442 on: 23 September, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »
The one positive thing about Prometheus, is that it is very pretty.  Yes, the whole landing scenario is somewhat ludicrous for many many reason, but it looks good.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5443 on: 23 September, 2015, 01:39:10 pm »
Ridley Scott films usually do, going all the way back to The Duellists.  He always works with great cinematographers, including people like Roger Deakins who shot Blade Runner.

Pity he didn't work with a great scriptwriter on Prometheus.  His output has become increasingly tangled with thoughts of religion over recent years rather than science and Prometheus is arguably a very religious SF film, as well as a very bad one.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5444 on: 23 September, 2015, 01:51:51 pm »

(click to show/hide)

I liked the Goose's brolola song, though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5445 on: 23 September, 2015, 02:22:20 pm »
The one positive thing about Prometheus, is that it is very pretty.  Yes, the whole landing scenario is somewhat ludicrous for many many reason, but it looks good.

On this basis I'm expecting a disappointingly accurate Mars in The Martian.  A la Europa Report.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5446 on: 23 September, 2015, 03:41:30 pm »
^^^ But please God no zombies.

Chris S

ian

« Reply #5448 on: 23 September, 2015, 08:47:05 pm »
I'm available to write the damn scripts.

Riggers

« Reply #5449 on: 24 September, 2015, 09:32:45 am »
There's no point entertaining the idea of Sooty and Sweep. They never made the finished film, as I mentioned.

It's a pickle who to consider isn't it?