Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951419 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10125 on: 26 June, 2023, 10:05:46 am »
Asteroid City

Very good in places but tries the patience of even a confirmed Wes Anderson fan. I felt much the same about The French Dispatch. I suspect we will look one day back on his career and say he peaked with Grand Budapest Hotel.

Gratuitously making Scarlett Johansson get her kit off was a bit cringey. Felt out of kilter with the rest of the film.

After seeing the trailer last night, I am definitely up for the Barbie film when it comes out. Looks amazing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #10126 on: 26 June, 2023, 10:06:32 am »
Mulholland Drive.  Almost normal for about 90 minutes (if you pass over the dwarf and the hobo monster), then it goes full Lynch.

One of my all-time favourite films. If you thought the first 90 minutes were "normal", you weren't paying attention.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10127 on: 26 June, 2023, 10:14:58 am »
Mulholland Drive.  Almost normal for about 90 minutes (if you pass over the dwarf and the hobo monster), then it goes full Lynch.

One of my all-time favourite films. If you thought the first 90 minutes were "normal", you weren't paying attention.

Ditto.  Just the quality of the colour and the expression on Naomi Watts' and her companions' faces tip you off.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10128 on: 26 June, 2023, 10:18:17 am »
We've been watching Season 6 of Black Mirror, which has been as nasty as ever, bar the last episode.  The one with astronauts, Beyond the Sea, was scientifically inane into the bargain. The music was good, though.

citoyen

« Reply #10129 on: 26 June, 2023, 11:24:24 am »

Ditto.  Just the quality of the colour and the expression on Naomi Watts' and her companions' faces tip you off.

To be honest, it was familiarity with David Lynch's previous work that tipped me off.  ;D

But yeah, stellar performance by Naomi Watts. So good that it's easy to misread that opening section as hammy.

« Reply #10130 on: 08 July, 2023, 06:17:22 pm »
"The Northman"

It was.....interesting. I now understand why it fared so badly at the box office. I think we need that kind of movies from time to time, but it's definitely not a mainstream movie.
 Also appeared to be mostly correct with the historical situations and environment, which was, considering the current glut of Viking-era TV series that don't appear to care too much.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10131 on: 09 July, 2023, 08:22:57 am »
Jaws. You may have heard of it.

« Reply #10132 on: 10 July, 2023, 09:04:12 pm »
Dungeons and Dragons.

It was....good?!?. Very pleasantly surprised.

« Reply #10133 on: 10 July, 2023, 10:06:42 pm »
The Out-Laws

Watched it cos it had a bunch of top actors in it. And the production was pretty slick for the first five minutes. Hackneyed plot, but lots of money spent so should be watchable.

What a load of childish shit.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10134 on: 10 July, 2023, 11:16:20 pm »
The Out-Laws

Watched it cos it had a bunch of top actors in it. And the production was pretty slick for the first five minutes. Hackneyed plot, but lots of money spent so should be watchable.

What a load of childish shit.

Looks at actors list.

Recognises 2. One of which might be Bond, James Bond?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10135 on: 23 July, 2023, 07:57:17 am »
Rain Man (on iPlayer), while smashing out 2 hours of Z2 in Zwift.  Never seen it before.  Very enjoyable, if rather uncomfortable at times.  Interesting views on autism just 35 years ago.

« Reply #10136 on: 23 July, 2023, 10:54:47 am »
Our Hobby is Depeche Mode

I enjoyed it, with moments that were variously touching, funny and straight up odd. Helps if you like the music and are in the mood for a low budget social documentary.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10137 on: 24 July, 2023, 02:30:29 pm »
Has anyone done Barbenheimer yet?  And in which order?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10138 on: 24 July, 2023, 03:06:28 pm »
The Critical Drinker on Barbie*:  https://youtu.be/7J7aJtGphVs  I won't be watching it.  Will probably watch Oppie when it reaches one of the streamers.

* A name I can never read or hear without mentally putting Klaus in front of it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10139 on: 24 July, 2023, 04:23:09 pm »
Noted USAnian bellend Ben Shapiro, 39, has been doing his nut over “Barbie”: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ben-shapiro-barbie_n_64bd596ae4b0ad7b75f94794  People are pointing, and laughing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #10140 on: 24 July, 2023, 05:08:32 pm »
I would far rather see Barbie than Oppenheimer. The latter sounds grim. It's also three hours long and there are very few movies that truly justify that kind of running time.

Certainly not into the idea of doing the double.

« Reply #10141 on: 24 July, 2023, 07:10:03 pm »
I would far rather see Barbie than Oppenheimer. The latter sounds grim. It's also three hours long and there are very few movies that truly justify that kind of running time.

Certainly not into the idea of doing the double.
Friends who have seen Oppy say it feels much, much shorter and reckon they will be going back for a second watching.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10142 on: 24 July, 2023, 07:54:21 pm »

ZOMG, this is A Thing :o C4 is running a piece on it right now!

Edit: and one of the blokes they interviewed has possession of Bobb's hat, but the thief was only on screen for a second or two.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

« Reply #10143 on: 24 July, 2023, 09:07:11 pm »
The Guardian did Barbenheimer and was traumatised.  The Swindon Adver did Oppenbarbie and enjoyed it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10144 on: 24 July, 2023, 10:53:33 pm »
Is Barbenheimer something other than the documentary Tank Girl?

« Reply #10145 on: 25 July, 2023, 12:24:16 pm »
Oppenheimer

Yes, long @ 3hrs, but very good, with an amazing cast.  Intense & thought provoking - I knew the basics but good to chew on the details & dilemmas surrounding the project.  Sometimes I felt I needed subtitles - but could just be my hearing.  There is a lot of 'people talking in rooms' as some critics have said, but a fascinating story.  ETA.  Would like watch it again, in the fullness of time.

[*Possible 'spoilers'*] 
Christopher Nolan Breaks Down ‘Oppenheimer’ With Professor Brian Cox
https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a44575529/christopher-nolan-oppenheimer-interview/
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #10146 on: 25 July, 2023, 02:13:49 pm »

Booked for this weekend. A combination of godawful weather in the sunlituplands/northernpowerhouse and a reluctance on my part to commit, meant no seats for either available last weekend.

« Reply #10147 on: 25 July, 2023, 02:53:57 pm »
Seen Oppenheimer,; Barbie, no way!

Agree with this:

Oppenheimer

Yes, long @ 3hrs, but very good, with an amazing cast.  Intense & thought provoking - I knew the basics but good to chew on the details & dilemmas surrounding the project.  Sometimes I felt I needed subtitles - but could just be my hearing.  There is a lot of 'people talking in rooms' as some critics have said, but a fascinating story.  ETA.  Would like watch it again, in the fullness of time.

[*Possible 'spoilers'*] 
Christopher Nolan Breaks Down ‘Oppenheimer’ With Professor Brian Cox
https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a44575529/christopher-nolan-oppenheimer-interview/

It could have been much more in-your-face grim but thankfully it's more subtle than that. Subtitles would be good in parts as andyoxon says.  I would hope that there will be subtitles eventually. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

« Reply #10148 on: 31 July, 2023, 06:45:02 am »
Beavis And Butt-Head Do The Universe.

Very good - lots of classic B&B references including Cornholio (of course), full cavity searches, and even Mr "mmkay" Van Driessen.  For "Office Space" fans, Mike Judge has re-employed Stephen Root and Gary Cole to do some of the voices.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10149 on: 31 July, 2023, 01:37:50 pm »
It could have been much more in-your-face grim but thankfully it's more subtle than that. Subtitles would be good in parts as andyoxon says.  I would hope that there will be subtitles eventually.

PSA:  https://www.yourlocalcinema.com/oppenheimer.html  (And for completeness, https://www.yourlocalcinema.com/barbie.html )

Note that with subtitled screenings at non-arthouse cinemas, there's always a risk that they'll forget to turn them on, or turn them off mid-showing due to a random complaint from a hearing person who bought a ticket to a subtitled screening and then got upset when there were words on the screen.