Author Topic: Gravel tyres for Fred  (Read 1898 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Gravel tyres for Fred
« on: 07 July, 2020, 03:50:33 pm »
I fancy getting some gravel tyres for Fred my 700c Surly Disc Trucker but am unsure what to buy. I know I don’t want to go tubeless but definitely know I want the best puncture resistance available.

What would be your recommendations?  Thanks in advance  :-*

Re: Gravel tyres for Fred
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2020, 04:12:46 pm »
Ah good of you to introduce Fred formally

If you wanted to give them a try I've got a set of Schwalbe land cruisers in my shed in 35c I think. They're pretty heavy but think they have k guard or similar

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2020, 05:23:14 pm »
Ah good of you to introduce Fred formally

If you wanted to give them a try I've got a set of Schwalbe land cruisers in my shed in 35c I think. They're pretty heavy but think they have k guard or similar

Thanks, I have something similar, not very knobbly, about 40mm I think but prone to punctures.

rr

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2020, 06:48:23 pm »
The Black Rose is currently sporting a pair of Schwalbe G-One Allround Performance RaceGuard Folding Gravel Tyre - 700c

In 38mm width, really enjoying them. Smooth things out nicely, grippy on and off road and not much slower on road, I got them from Merlin for £19.95 they are currently 21.95
https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-g-one-allround-performance-raceguard-folding-gravel-tyre-700c-100498.html

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:12:09 am »
The Black Rose is currently sporting a pair of Schwalbe G-One Allround Performance RaceGuard Folding Gravel Tyre - 700c

In 38mm width, really enjoying them. Smooth things out nicely, grippy on and off road and not much slower on road, I got them from Merlin for £19.95 they are currently 21.95
https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-g-one-allround-performance-raceguard-folding-gravel-tyre-700c-100498.html

They look good. Any visitations so far?

rr

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:23:33 am »

Not as yet, 900km with plenty of off-road, and bumfords lane.

« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2020, 02:03:15 pm »
I've 2 pairs of G-Ones and yes they're nice tyres but they certainly can't be classed as having the "best puncture protection available" unless we're  only talking about fast(ish) lightweight(ish) gravelly type tyres here?
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

rr

« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2020, 12:54:55 pm »

Just fixing my first visitation, but I think it is a snakebite from hitting a rut across the bridleway, should have bunny hopped it

rr

« Reply #8 on: 02 August, 2020, 04:01:44 pm »

Just fixing my first visitation, but I think it is a snakebite from hitting a rut across the bridleway, should have bunny hopped it

Spoke too soon, a second, a thorn.

« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2020, 05:51:49 pm »

I've got these on my coaching & commuting bike, no visits in a year, perhaps 100km of road and towpath a week.  Really pleased with them, I expect they'd be terrible in mud!

« Reply #10 on: 02 August, 2020, 08:30:02 pm »
Hi, I'm running a pair of Donnelly Xplor in 40 mm size. 50 psi on road and 40 Psi if I'm batting down bridleways. Even at 50 psi they give a compliant ride. Can't fault them

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2020, 09:45:16 pm »

I've got these on my coaching & commuting bike, no visits in a year, perhaps 100km of road and towpath a week.  Really pleased with them, I expect they'd be terrible in mud!

I have them in 40mm. I was impressed by how fast they are on tarmac. I only use them when I am planning a majority off road ride. But I am rather pleased with them.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #12 on: 02 August, 2020, 09:53:48 pm »
I'm currently running 32mm Panaracer Gravel Kings on my Thorn Audax though despite the name I wouldn't really classify them as a gravel tyre. The fine file type tread wouldn't be much use off road.  On the road however they are the nicest tyre I've ever used.

Much better than the Supreme's, Rubino pro's & Pasela's which I've used in the last few years.

If your feeling flush maybe try a pair of Rene Herse (formally Compass) gravel tyres.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 02 August, 2020, 10:00:37 pm »
I wouldn't really classify them as a gravel tyre. The fine file type tread wouldn't be much use off road.

It doesn't help that there is no coherent idea of what counts as gravel...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 03 August, 2020, 07:16:35 am »
I wouldn't really classify them as a gravel tyre. The fine file type tread wouldn't be much use off road.

J

Lots of small stones?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #15 on: 03 August, 2020, 07:36:56 am »

J

Or that Panaracer have several variants of "Gravelking" - for different types of gravel, perhaps? The standard Gravelkings certainly don't look like that kind of thing I'd want for actual gravel...

FWIW, I've got Gravelking SK ("Small Knob"!) in 43mm and really like them - they roll over most things well. I went on a week-long tour of Scotland's finest Sustrans paths a couple of weeks ago, and they were ideal.

« Reply #16 on: 03 August, 2020, 07:38:52 am »
I’ve got WTB byways on my bike at the moment. I’ve only noticed one puncture in 600km, but I’m using tubleless. My riding is probably half on road, and they go well enough there for my purposes. I’ve yet to try them off road in anything wetter than damp. I’d buy them again when they wear out.

« Reply #17 on: 03 August, 2020, 08:15:59 am »

J

Or that Panaracer have several variants of "Gravelking" - for different types of gravel, perhaps? The standard Gravelkings certainly don't look like that kind of thing I'd want for actual gravel...

FWIW, I've got Gravelking SK ("Small Knob"!) in 43mm and really like them - they roll over most things well. I went on a week-long tour of Scotland's finest Sustrans paths a couple of weeks ago, and they were ideal.

I have these (the standard Gravel Kings, not the SKs) one one of my bikes and they are excellent on dry dirt roads - presumably what they are designed for). Unfortunately we don't have too many of these in this country. They also work very well on the sort of vaguely-surfaced potholed lanes that we have rather a lot of nowadays - which was what I bought them for. Only two issues with them: they don't like mud and they puncture rather too easily.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 03 August, 2020, 08:52:39 am »
Thanks for all the input folks.  For the moment I have put some 40mm Schwalbe Landcruisers back on Fred and will see how we get on at the weekend when we go wild camping.  In