Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626186 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6150 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:07:21 pm »
Two for the price of one:

Tesco's we only use you because our preferred emporium do not stock a few items we prefer to use. So we only use you for petrol, when out stock is low and the very odd time when your opening times suits our needs. Saved a few bob on petrol by having your clubcard, thanks. But it is rather annoying when you send us your great offers on stuff we just got (e.g. two-three days after our last visit) and don't need for a good while. See we stock up so that we don't have to enter your horridmart too often. So therefore your great offers are not needed and will not be valid when needed.

Local radio station, you are jolly good fun to tune into and often you do play other stuff. Than the top hit of the week, that it says on the list you gotta play 5-6 times a day, that other radio stations do. But why do you keep saying that you play the best music or better music than other radio station do. Well all the other local radio stations say the same as you do. But isn't it in the ear of the beholder, who decides who plays the best music?

Bonus : when you say that you are the only one that plays "insert random number" songs/tunes/tracks in a row. You all are lying!!! Because it is not in a row if you put your jingle in between the songs/tunes/tracks, and for that matter your jingle is an ad for your radio station!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6151 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:09:59 pm »
Thing about that train is that it stops at University[1], which means if I time it right with regard to overcrowding, I can get to both Nottingham and Waleslandshire without having to suffer Mordor Central.

[1] The UK's most arrogantly named station.

What else should they call it "Queen Elizabeth" for the hospital?

They seem to have incorporated that into the signage and announcements since the big move from Selly Oak, which is useful and fair enough.

But I was thinking more like "University of Birmingham", on the basis that not only do other cities have universities too, but Birmingham has three.  I tend to buy orange cardboard online these days, but I'm sure asking for a ticket to "University" has hilarious consequences outside the West Midlands, much like trying to buy a ticket to Romiley from a station in the South-East.
I bet there was only one university there when the station was built (1978, apparently). There certainly won't be another station in the UK called University and wikip tells us it's the only station in the country built specifically for a uni. As for buying tickets, they'll have machines to look it up, just like the train staff, or even you online. It's not like the days before computers when my parents kept the station staff busy for what seemed like hours looking up "Freshford" and writing out tickets by hand. The cardboard wasn't even orange back then!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6152 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:16:46 pm »
Sorry Cudzo, Aston University was founded in 1895.   The university of Birmingham, teh one close to 'University' station was founded in 1900.

« Reply #6153 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:19:20 pm »
Aaaaargh, scrub that.   Aston didn't become a university until the 1960's.   Sorry for the initial error but it was still there before 1978. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6154 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:28:09 pm »
At 1130 today we were instructed to leave the building immediately because of a bomb threat. I took my coat and bag with me, and my half-drunk cup of tea. We stood about in the rain and wind for 15 minutes until the people without coats went to sit in cars, and then we all went to sit in the White House cafe. At about 12 we were told "the sergeant" had arrived and we should be back in the building in an hour. At 1240 I left to go to a meeting where I was representing someone at an absence managment meeting, sans any of the paperwork I had prepared. Got back to the White House at 1400, just in time to find the boss buying us all sandwiches, because all our lunches were being searched and potentially destroyed in controlled explosions. At 1430 we pooled what pennies we had on us to buy cake to share. At 1500 the boss said that everyone who had the wherewithal to go home could go home so I went home. The rest of them didn't get back into the building until nearly 1600.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6155 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:32:17 pm »
Aaaaargh, scrub that.   Aston didn't become a university until the 1960's.   Sorry for the initial error but it was still there before 1978.
Sure it was there, but it wasn't called a university, so the station name was unambiguous. That would still be an argument to change it now, though.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6156 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:43:17 pm »
Don't know if is still the case, but I used have real difficulty buying tickets from Universally to Carmarthen on The Train Line.  It always wanted to send me via every weird route possible rather than the bleedin' obvious.  I had to book from MC for it to "get it".
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6157 on: 10 March, 2015, 01:41:04 pm »
Splattered my hand with hot oil putting my lunchtime steak in the pan.  Hand looks like a KOM jersey.  Funny thing is that every so often part of the pain is telegraphed to my left hand. Got a crossed wire somewhere.

Got the sleeve of my favourite HH sweater, too. Hand will heal.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6158 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:09:30 pm »
To:IKEA<themgt@reconstitutedtree.se>
Subject:Frame-based twattery

Sirs,

Would it be too much to ask that your otherwise-excellent RibbaTM picture frames include:
  • a piece of backing board in a colour other than shit-brownTM, or
  • a piece of plain not-shit-brownTM paper that fits neatly inside the frame
such that we with odd-sized pictures do not end up with a vertical shit-brownTM stripe up each side thereof?

Yours more in hope than antici
(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6159 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:12:27 pm »
Tesco's we only use you because our preferred emporium do not stock a few items we prefer to use. So we only use you for petrol, when out stock is low and the very odd time when your opening times suits our needs. Saved a few bob on petrol by having your clubcard, thanks. But it is rather annoying when you send us your great offers on stuff we just got (e.g. two-three days after our last visit) and don't need for a good while. See we stock up so that we don't have to enter your horridmart too often. So therefore your great offers are not needed and will not be valid when needed.

That's how their algorithms are supposed to work - there'd be no benefit (to THEM) in giving you an offer on something you were going to buy anyway.

I just went to my local co-op and their algorithm offered me:
1. £3 off £30 spend on food - if I were to buy £30 of food in one go I wouldn't be able to carry it home. Are you trying to get me to drive here?
2. money off frozen produce - the reason I didn't buy frozen stuffs today is not because I need an offer to prompt me, it's because I haven't got a freezer
3. 10% off meat - you could make it 100% off, I still wouldn't eat it!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6160 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »
I agree with you, at most it is wasting paper.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6161 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:24:44 pm »
Keep Smileying.

It got even more intriguing - apparently there were no suitable rooms available, so I was instructed to meet the operative hiring manager at a coffee shop in Chinatown. I would recognise her by a specific item of clothing. This is all absolutely true. I was almost expecting to see a man in a trenchcoat and fedora standing in a doorway opposite (perhaps he was, just too good for me to spot).

Unfortunately I came a "close second", but a miss is as good as a mile. Bah!
I was looking forward to turning up on the first day and asking to be directed to the "nuts and bolts department". :)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6162 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:49:34 pm »
Rebranding and marketing droids, I have booked the wrong hotel for next week and
IT IS YOUR FAULT!

Methinks it's deliberate.
Rename the Hilton the Crowne Plaza an stoopid out of townie me thought it was the other Plaza, which is much closer to Aged Parents' retirement pad.

I have booked through booking.com and paid by cc.
ICnBA to change things.

Bah!

Mum now wants me to change my hotel.
I would lose all the money I paid.

I don't want to /lose waste $Lots but I don't want an argument.
The distance between the two hotels is just over two miles in a car and 2km on foot.

Given I need a cab to go anywhere, I do not see this as a major issue.

GGGGGRRRRR!

« Reply #6163 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:38:06 am »
Rebranding and marketing droids, I have booked the wrong hotel for next week and
IT IS YOUR FAULT!

Rename the Hilton the Crowne Plaza an stoopid out of townie me thought it was the other Plaza, which is much closer to Aged Parents' retirement pad.

ICnBA to change things.

Bah!

The distance between the two hotels is just over two miles in a car and 2km on foot.

GGGGGRRRRR!

Then lie.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6164 on: 12 March, 2015, 12:03:26 pm »
IT IS YOUR FAULT!

ICnBA to change things.

Bah!

GGGGGRRRRR!

Then lie.

I've already sent her the booking.com email confirming total cancellation loss.
Maybe I should blame the Ministry of Tourism's Rabbi as deception, 'theft of knowledge' is a specific no-no in Jewish Law.

He just happens to be my B-i-L, the bride's father.

Maybe not...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6165 on: 12 March, 2015, 01:10:41 pm »
Can someone please turn off the rain? I've had enough of riding sodden wet through for one tour thank you.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6166 on: 12 March, 2015, 01:27:22 pm »
Can someone please turn off the rain? I've had enough of riding sodden wet through for one tour thank you.

Sorry, I used up the Welsh weather karma last September.

« Reply #6167 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:08:12 pm »
My Garmin is dead. :'(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6168 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:41:42 pm »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #6169 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:51:24 pm »
To:IKEA<themgt@reconstitutedtree.se>
Subject:Frame-based twattery

Sirs,

Would it be too much to ask that your otherwise-excellent RibbaTM picture frames include:
  • a piece of backing board in a colour other than shit-brownTM, or
  • a piece of plain not-shit-brownTM paper that fits neatly inside the frame
such that we with odd-sized pictures do not end up with a vertical shit-brownTM stripe up each side thereof?

Yours more in hope than antici
(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington
Bästa Herr Larrington,

Tack för meddelandet.

Tack för förslaget. Skitbrun är världens populäraste färg, så du får ta huvudet och stoppa det i stjärten. Då får du verkligen se skitbrun.

Vi hoppas att detta hjälper dig.

Med vänliga hälsningar,

Ingvar Kamprad (f.d. nazi)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6170 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:35:20 pm »
Miss, Miss, please Miss!  AWL's been bitten by a rabid møøse, Miss!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6171 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:46:20 pm »
nei, han taler svensk

The (norwegian) joke is that you talk Norwegian, preach Swedish and chatter Danish.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6172 on: 13 March, 2015, 04:38:00 pm »
I thought you would vomit Danish!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6173 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:11:31 pm »
Skitbrun är världens populäraste färg,

:D :D :D

« Reply #6174 on: 14 March, 2015, 11:44:39 am »
褐色  の 褐色 ?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897