Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626364 times)

essexian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7475 on: 28 March, 2016, 01:19:41 pm »
On Thursday just gone, I managed to hit a kerb at nearly 20kph resulting in my flying over the bars and landing heavily on my right shoulder. I had hoped the pain would quickly resolve itself but nope, four days later I still can't raise the arm above shoulder level without pain. Sigh. While I can't see any bruising, there is something wrong internally meaning it was quite painful when I tried to ride earlier.

Also, I thought that my bike had come out of the accident undamaged but upon further checking, it seems I have completely buggered the bottom bracket as there is about 10mm of play in it now. Double sigh.

Teach me to look where I am going as this is the second time I have hit a kerb this year!  :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7476 on: 28 March, 2016, 01:23:18 pm »
Sounds like a broken collar-bone.  The symptoms are almost exactly what I had.  Get thee to Emergency.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7477 on: 28 March, 2016, 05:29:58 pm »
Bugger. Just had a text advising me that my credit card provider (Tesco) had declined a charge of £499.98, and was it me that spent it. No, it wasn't. Cue cancellation of said cc and a 6-8 day wait for a replacement (if I'm lucky). Wouldn't tell me the putative beneficiary, but obvs the automated systems caught it as that value of transaction wouldn't be unusual for me.  At least we should have the new (joint) cards before my wife's trip to the US next month. Fortunately we both have our own personal cards to be going on with. I just hope I can remember the PIN for mine!!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7478 on: 28 March, 2016, 07:13:12 pm »
You just reminded me to check my cc after the Sportpursuit hack - nothing obvious thus far.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #7479 on: 28 March, 2016, 08:05:18 pm »
I've no idea who might be responsible.  The recent transactions where I've had to input the cvv were for BA, the Aus V8 Supercars site, a Clematis nursery and the local library  :-\.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7480 on: 29 March, 2016, 04:39:11 am »
Why am I still awake at 4:40am  >:(  Hoping reattempt to sleep works.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7481 on: 29 March, 2016, 07:49:38 am »
You just reminded me to check my cc after the Sportpursuit hack - nothing obvious thus far.
thanks for the reminder
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7482 on: 29 March, 2016, 10:16:41 pm »
Sounds like a broken collar-bone.  The symptoms are almost exactly what I had.  Get thee to Emergency.
Yeah. When I broke one I felt the broken ends grate against each other (don't try this at home - it is not pleasant), but I know one can have a break where that doesn't happen, & everything else fits. So Essexian, if you haven't already, get thee there.

I think another possibility is a dislocation (with ripped ligaments) of the AC joint, & if so the sooner it's treated the better, as leaving it be can result in a wonky joint forever. DAHIKT.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7483 on: 30 March, 2016, 08:43:56 am »
Ian - That sounds very like my sister's symptoms when she dislocated her shoulder playing rugby. I'll add another voice to the 'get thee to A&E' crowd.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7484 on: 30 March, 2016, 09:29:38 am »
Ian - That sounds very like my sister's symptoms when she dislocated her shoulder playing rugby. I'll add another voice to the 'get thee to A&E' crowd.

I did that aged 16, that shoulder is still weaker than the other and is noticeably out of true 26 years later.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

essexian

« Reply #7485 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:32:51 am »
Cheers all.... I very much doubt its a broken collarbone as the pain is right at the top of my arm where it joins with the top of my shoulder. I have a feeling its ligament damage: I still can't see any surface bruising.

I can raise my arm above my head but it is a little painful to do: about a four on a 0 to 10 scale. I am lacking some power in the arm as well and can't raise it to signal when turning right....so, left hand loops only for a bit perhaps?

I would feel a bit silly heading to A&E but if it doesn't feel any better in a day or two, will go and see my GP.

Thanks again.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7486 on: 30 March, 2016, 11:56:02 am »
I still can't see any surface bruising.
No surface bruising, but this was what was going on inside me after I dropped on my MTB. I only decided to go to A&E when I noticed that my left arm was drooping, shoulder didn't look the same on the outside after a rather painful shower/drying.

(click to show/hide)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7487 on: 30 March, 2016, 01:17:04 pm »
My guess would be a Grade I or II AC joint injury, if I were playing 'diagnose by internet forum' bingo.

Get checked out and mend well!

essexian

« Reply #7488 on: 30 March, 2016, 04:31:56 pm »
"And the injury is......"

Well I went to see my GP who promptly sent me to hospital to have some X rays..... these were done and no bone damage was seen. However, it does seem I have some damage to the ligaments in my arm/shoulder and some soft tissue damage. I got off quite lightly it seems.

So, the Doctor says no swimming for at least four to six weeks and more likely 2 months... whilst they don't want to see me on a bike for four weeks.....  :facepalm: It seems if I rush it, it won't repair itself correctly and I could be left in pain for years....just like my ankle which still hurts from 1984!

Anyway, off up the Tissington Trail on Saturday with some friends from down south....that's social riding, not cycling...honest.   

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7489 on: 30 March, 2016, 04:41:32 pm »
The lower back niggle has become a full-blown OUCH!.  As putting on trousers was an epic and groan-filled struggle, I think it probably best I don't head into town this evening.
Now that my evening is free I guess I can spend it ... trying to move as little as possible.  :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7490 on: 30 March, 2016, 06:31:47 pm »
The house next door has been empty for months, it's been great. The old lady was placed into care because she has dementia. The house has been sold.

Our new neighbours turned up last week. The woman is a non stop chatterbox but pleasant enough, her husband is a bit of a dick from first impressions. He was off work thurs, fri, sat, sun,mon and did nothing to the house at all over the bank holiday, he did sit in the garden for 2 days chatting on his mobile phone at volume 11. New carpets were fitted on Thurday morning so he has no excuse. I think he's pretending to do stuff whilst his wife is at work and bullshitting her when she gets in from work.

Last night he got his drill out, 11.30pm!! for well over an hour!!!!! They left at 3.00am making a fucking racket! They've not been up today so I gather it'll be another night shift.

I understand that things have got to be done but drilling, turned midnight. I have to get up for work early. I think I may go around tonight, new neighbours or not and ask them to do this shit in the daytime. My wife has told me to leave it, but she hasn't got to get up early either!

There's been builders etc in for over a month, singing/shouting/banging/drilling/sawing/sanding at full volume. I'm sick to death of the noise, it's been non.....fucking......stop. Now the night shift has started too.

There is someone currently working in the back garden, banging. It's been like that for a couple of hours. Can't this shit be done when people are out at work, like, during normal work hours.

I have a feeling these are going be neighbours from hell.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7491 on: 30 March, 2016, 06:37:20 pm »
The Man started building some new flats almost, but not quite, opposite Larrington Towers roughly two years ago.  No-one has yet moved in, and the useless workshy twat builders are STILL doing things with power tools >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7492 on: 30 March, 2016, 06:58:52 pm »
same knobs that are working next door to me?
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7493 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:08:18 pm »
The lower back niggle has become a full-blown OUCH!.  As putting on trousers was an epic and groan-filled struggle, I think it probably best I don't head into town this evening.
Now that my evening is free I guess I can spend it ... trying to move as little as possible.  :(

Same here.

*something* went wrong this morning at work, I don't know what.
It was a minor grumble till lunchtime, so I took a walk along the river just to stand up and move a bit.
Afternoon was increasingly uncomfortable.

Ride home was OK so long as I remained in one fixed position, so I took the flat main road at a very steady pace.
Struggled to get off the bike 40 minutes later, I would have fallen over if I didn't have the wall to lean against.

Now totally crocked.
Changing out of cycle kit was a painful and ungainly exercise.
No possibility of riding in tomorrow.

« Reply #7494 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:50:29 pm »
I had a similarly bad back a couple of weeks ago. Sneezing was a most painful experience with pains going down both legs as well as across my lower back.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=80971.msg2006530#msg2006530
I'm now off the tablets after just less than a week and feel much, much better. Not fully right and I haven't tried the bike or running yet, but still much better.
Recommend the drugs, even if only for the short term.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7495 on: 31 March, 2016, 02:05:34 pm »
Some of the mould remover that the mould removing man was using to remove mould on the wall above the bike racks has spilt on to my Carradice rack pack, leaving pale brown splodges. I tried washing them off but to no avail. It seems something in the mould killer reacts with cotton duck and bleaches it. Ah well, I shall just have to consider it patina.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7496 on: 31 March, 2016, 02:12:25 pm »
At least it isn't mouldy?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7497 on: 31 March, 2016, 02:52:08 pm »
I hope it doesn't rot the cotton fabric.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7498 on: 01 April, 2016, 09:52:32 am »

Same here.

*something* went wrong this morning at work, I don't know what.
It was a minor grumble till lunchtime, so I took a walk along the river just to stand up and move a bit.
Afternoon was increasingly uncomfortable.

Ride home was OK so long as I remained in one fixed position, so I took the flat main road at a very steady pace.
Struggled to get off the bike 40 minutes later, I would have fallen over if I didn't have the wall to lean against.

Now totally crocked.
Changing out of cycle kit was a painful and ungainly exercise.
No possibility of riding in tomorrow.

Sounds like a slightly displaced sacroiliac. Happened to me on a climb 3 years ago. Fortunately an orthopaedic nurse was riding with us and she gave me a massage with extreme prejudice so I was able to get home, but next morning was hell. This lasted through physiotherapy sessions for about a month until, while I was putting on my trousers after one such, the thing delivered such a stab that my legs gave way.  The physio hoots "oh good, we're getting somewhere" and thereafter it did slowly get better.  The injury was in June: my first painless ride was at the end of August.

You may get lucky and collapse straight off. ;)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7499 on: 01 April, 2016, 11:02:10 am »
Ah, the good old "data protection" response.  I purchased (from Post Office Money) some US dollars online. I paid with my debit card.  As I wouldn't be at home I put my wife's name in the delivery information, which was due the following day. I also managed to mistype the email address for confirmation purposes.

No money was taken from my account on the morning of the delivery, so I called them. And they refused to discuss the matter "as your wifes name is on the delivery". The fact that I paid for it with my card was apparently irrelevant.

The money was delivered on time. Payment was taken some 12 hour later.