Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626084 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9375 on: 13 November, 2017, 01:36:15 pm »
Shops, Offices and Railway Premises, I think.

Grumble of the day has to be the packaging of the two Duracell CR 2016 cells I bought fo David's torch/LASER pointer.

After penetrating the vicious blister pack, there are still the plastic film and battery sticky label to negotiate.

I KNOW coin cells kill. That packaging nearly killed me, then it attacked David!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9376 on: 13 November, 2017, 02:23:28 pm »
Damn. You just reminded me that I forgot to pick up a couple of CR2032s 'cos my Garmin temperature sensor is flagging.  I was in the shop on Friday and walked straight past them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9377 on: 13 November, 2017, 02:30:10 pm »
Poor packaging is a major gripe of mine. I wonder how many A&E visits are due to injuries incurred trying to open packs with no provided means of opening them.

Also cellophane (or whatever) wrapping that needs cutting to open, then tears so easily it can't be used to wrap remaining items.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9378 on: 13 November, 2017, 05:02:58 pm »
To be fair, children have died after swallowing seemingly innocuous coin cells and packaging should prevent this.

BUT!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9379 on: 13 November, 2017, 05:37:52 pm »
Barakta has Shiny! New! bone-anchored sound processors hearing aids.  Oticon have drawn heavily on the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia for inspiration (particularly in the startup sound, packaging and Devil's Radio departments, if not the careful dodging of other people's patents).  But the 'feature' that's relevant to this rant is that the 'off switch', in as much as they have one[1], is achieved by opening the battery compartment, so that the battery (a zinc-air[3] 675 cell in this case) may achieve effective air-gap isolation by pingfuckiting to some dusty corner behind the bed leg, across the aisle of the bus, or into the digestive tract (or recent output thereof) of the nearest canine.

They have provided the battery compartment with a screw-operated lock, which can be engaged with the supplied tweaker, for when they're used by small children, primary school teachers and the elderly, who can't be trusted not to lose or eat the batteries.

[1] There's a 'standby' mode which keeps the amplifier and DSP gubbins awake and active[2] with a null input, which serves adequately as a STFU button, but doesn't save power.
[2] Thus avoiding boot-up delay when you switch it back on.
[3] Cheaper and AIUI less deadly when swallowed than lithium cells.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9380 on: 13 November, 2017, 05:54:26 pm »
The lithium cells are more deadly AIUI because they supply a higher voltage.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9381 on: 13 November, 2017, 06:17:35 pm »
I hate it when they tack an advert for an associated product onto the end of another advert.  Cheapskates.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9382 on: 13 November, 2017, 06:22:43 pm »
The lithium cells are more deadly AIUI because they supply a higher voltage.

Yeah, it's enough to generate hydroxide ions, and we all know what strong alkalies do to tissue...   :hand:

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9383 on: 13 November, 2017, 08:10:48 pm »
"Yes," says the bloke at the Tax Orifice, "but you still need to submit a declaration of turnover for the first six months of this year."
Look on the bright side, it'll be the easiest turnover statement you've ever filled out.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #9384 on: 13 November, 2017, 09:23:44 pm »
[1] There's a 'standby' mode which keeps the amplifier and DSP gubbins awake and active[2] with a null input, which serves adequately as a STFU button, but doesn't save power.
[2] Thus avoiding boot-up delay when you switch it back on.

Changing volume on one changes on both even though my hearing level isn't even across the two and I might want to drop noise on one side for REASONS...

If hearing aid 1 is in standby and you change programme on hearing aid 2, it brings 1 out of standby - GRRR.

If you frob the silly "streamer" programme one or both standby moded hearing aids come back on...

Seriously considering asking for the damned things to be unlinked so I can control them independently.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9385 on: 13 November, 2017, 10:22:49 pm »
They don't understand REASONS which could include selectively turning a deaf ear to the world in a 'DO NOT DISTURB' kind of way.
Lack imagination.
Nul points!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9386 on: 14 November, 2017, 12:13:42 am »
Shaun over on the other place has decided to move one of my favourite sub-forums there out to a spin off site. I think he misses the point that the reason that sub-forum works well is because we are already there, and atomising the membership over a range of sites will just damage the success of the original cycling forum.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9387 on: 14 November, 2017, 12:18:02 am »
Shaun over on the other place has decided to move one of my favourite sub-forums there out to a spin off site. I think he misses the point that the reason that sub-forum works well is because we are already there, and atomising the membership over a range of sites will just damage the success of the original cycling forum.

That's basically the grumble from when everyone started using web forums rather than newsgroups and mailing lists.  It was so much more convenient when everything was in one efficient piece of software (configured the way you like it), and people's identities were reasonably consistent, we said.

Then things started migrating to Facebook and now we have the worst of both worlds...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #9388 on: 14 November, 2017, 06:39:48 am »

Yeah, I reckon that might be me about done wiith it. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9389 on: 14 November, 2017, 09:06:25 am »
"Yes," says the bloke at the Tax Orifice, "but you still need to submit a declaration of turnover for the first six months of this year."
Look on the bright side, it'll be the easiest turnover statement you've ever filled out.

I threw it at our old accountant, who's already been paid for winding up the company.  If he didn't wind it up far enough it's his responsibility.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9390 on: 14 November, 2017, 10:28:43 am »
HRG rail booking droids :facepalm:

Thank you for changing the bookings. Unfortunately we seem to have got our wires crossed. In my original email (below) I stated the outward journey was fine, but that the return part from Edinburgh needed to be changed to a 1530 departure.

Please can you change the outward journey back to what it was and amend the return journey to a 1530 departure, bearing in mind that the two people are travelling together.

Thank you

Regards

Guy
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9391 on: 14 November, 2017, 12:52:04 pm »
Shins stay hurty for aaages as far as I can work out.
I think the bleeding and swelling is irritating the nerves - I'm having a lot of tingly burny stingy pain.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9392 on: 14 November, 2017, 07:35:34 pm »
I think the bleeding and swelling is irritating the nerves - I'm having a lot of tingly burny stingy pain.
GWS!

I think shins are hurty cos they have tight fibrous envelopes in which any bleeding or swelling gets painfully tight. Buttocks, for example don't have these and can swell a lot before they are sore, so long as you don't sit on the injured part.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9393 on: 14 November, 2017, 08:00:51 pm »
Buttocks, for example don't have these and can swell a lot before they are sore, so long as you don't sit on the injured part.

That is of course the tricky bit.  (DAHIKT)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9394 on: 14 November, 2017, 09:00:58 pm »
GWS!

I think shins are hurty cos they have tight fibrous envelopes in which any bleeding or swelling gets painfully tight. Buttocks, for example don't have these and can swell a lot before they are sore, so long as you don't sit on the injured part.
Yeah, like ears - no room to swell, therefore much more painful. Standard painkillers aren't working. I wonder if I could get my GP to prescribe me some capsaicin.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #9395 on: 16 November, 2017, 08:16:51 am »
Bike clothing manufacturers, what are you all thinking? I'm talking chamois pads here. Of all the bottom covering apparel I have only one (Condor road shorts) has a black chamois pad, all the rest: blue, orange, bright green and ffs white. Why? All a bit shit, really.

« Reply #9396 on: 16 November, 2017, 08:32:52 am »
and ffs white. Why? All a bit shit, really.
Depends on your farts. Can be difficult when riding fixed.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9397 on: 16 November, 2017, 08:33:59 am »
Bike clothing manufacturers, what are you all thinking? I'm talking chamois pads here. Of all the bottom covering apparel I have only one (Condor road shorts) has a black chamois pad, all the rest: blue, orange, bright green and ffs white. Why? All a bit shit, really.

Yeah, dark brown would be better. Dark burgundy and patterned for ladies pads. It only makes sense.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9398 on: 16 November, 2017, 09:06:54 am »
and ffs white. Why? All a bit shit, really.
Depends on your farts. Can be difficult when riding fixed.

I thought those helped fixed riding, by virtue of the jet propulsion effect.

« Reply #9399 on: 16 November, 2017, 09:31:28 am »
Arsebiscuits! My current boss thinks I do a great job & has the good sense to leave me alone. So now they’ve had a management shuffle & under someone new, whom I’ve never heard of. Judging by his staff number though he’s probably in his early 20’s  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark