Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626328 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17125 on: 03 February, 2024, 04:15:38 pm »
There’s a reason that high street outfitters have changing rooms…
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #17126 on: 03 February, 2024, 04:24:14 pm »
There’s also the undeclared vanity factor in sizing (I suspect even worse for women’s clothes)

And it's an inverse-vanity on cycling clothes, where someone who normally wears L in casual t-shirts needs to be XXL or larger in cycling jerseys.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17127 on: 03 February, 2024, 05:04:51 pm »

D didn’t believe me when I told him he could try on shirts at M&S Brent Cross.

He thought everything was impenetrably packaged. He’s also accustomed to my getting Stuffs for him as he HATES shopping in person. Bicycle approach to Brent Cross Torture Chamber from here is not very nice (though access via the Waitrose car park is tolerable).

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #17128 on: 03 February, 2024, 06:13:00 pm »
By the time that I get to the shop I've often walked around 4 - 8 miles and the last ½ mile is mostly uphill, so I'm too sweaty to try a shirt.
Biggest problem is Sports Direct as one of the rooms is a used as store cupboard, the other has a queue and SD won't take back an item that doesn't fit - well, only for a credit note. Primark is OK on this.
I'm very awkwardly shape: mostly M but arms and back are L - XL, so most of my clothing is a compromise.

Items from the '90s that still fit me can't be replaced even with same make & model due to parsimony with fabric.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17129 on: 03 February, 2024, 08:13:24 pm »
Items from the '90s that still fit me can't be replaced even with same make & model due to parsimony with fabric.

And vanity sizing/shaping.
Whilst yacf denizens have mostly maintained a physique from an active lifestyle, the rest of the populace has become flabbier and paunchier. Clothing manufacturers produce to clothe the masses.

I’ve whinged before how the waist size for an M&S Size 14 has crept from 26” to 32” in the last 4 decades and how D can’t get trousers to fit.

Now it’s shirts!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17130 on: 03 February, 2024, 08:24:46 pm »

. . . Mr Trump is rather partial to women's changing rooms  :demon:

« Reply #17131 on: 04 February, 2024, 08:35:19 am »
I always order the 2 most likely sizes and send one back. Why drive to an out of the way shop, struggle to park, walk miles to find the relevant shop, to stand in a queue for the changing room. Order as many sizes colours, etc as wanted try them on at home with a decent mirror and send back the ones you don’t want. I can either drop them off at the coop or John Lewis even get the post office to collect from my porch.

« Reply #17132 on: 04 February, 2024, 08:50:19 am »
That's what I do.
But increasingly I'm sending everything back as nothing fits.
Wide back, neanderthal arms, small bust, waist seems smaller than average even though I'm definitely not skinny.
I usually end up buying men's jackets, but any sort of trousers is a real problem.
I made all my own clothes when younger, but arthritis in my hands has scuppered that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17133 on: 04 February, 2024, 03:34:54 pm »
Well quite! The problem is not SIZE; it’s SHAPE!

OTHERS’ shapes have changed and mass manufacturers produce to suit.

D’s shape hasn’t changed much.
Mine has ‘matured’ but my waist is still much smaller than M&S dumpy shapes nowadays.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #17134 on: 04 February, 2024, 04:08:27 pm »
One problem is what I term 'drop': from waist band to gusset measured at the back. The fleecy jogging bottoms (plain, tapered leg from Primark about 7 - 8 years ago are OK - apart from bottoms not quite big enough for my calfs - but those nowadays have gone from 17" drop to 14" in L. XL and XXL just get a bit bigger around the waist (but still OK for me!) with drop and leg about the same. I do have a big arse to fit in there (still solid muscle at almost 77, surprisingly).
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17135 on: 04 February, 2024, 04:12:53 pm »
I thought the term was ‘rise’, not ‘drop’...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #17136 on: 04 February, 2024, 04:33:27 pm »
Yep it is shape even in Mens clothing.  But I am an odd shape.

« Reply #17137 on: 04 February, 2024, 04:45:53 pm »
One problem is what I term 'drop': from waist band to gusset measured at the back
aka "rise"
Yup really irritating. I would like my waistband round my waist not my hips.
And low rise trousers are horrid for driving....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17138 on: 04 February, 2024, 04:47:35 pm »
D is NOT an odd shape or size.
He was truly Mr Average in almost every way last millennium.
Standard stock clothing from last century fits fine but we are from another generation era!
We are Oldies!

« Reply #17139 on: 04 February, 2024, 04:54:05 pm »
Ah, the fashionable men of YACF, needing trousers like these:-

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17140 on: 04 February, 2024, 05:56:16 pm »
One problem is what I term 'drop': from waist band to gusset measured at the back
aka "rise"
Yup really irritating. I would like my waistband round my waist not my hips.

+Eleventy.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #17141 on: 04 February, 2024, 07:40:09 pm »
Well quite! The problem is not SIZE; it’s SHAPE!

OTHERS’ shapes have changed and mass manufacturers produce to suit.

So true - I have some 15 (at least) year old trousers from a reputable outdoor brand that are now a little bit tight on the waist, but I know that their current offerings would be way too baggy if I choose them for the hip size. I suppose it does put me off buying new things. 

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #17142 on: 04 February, 2024, 07:44:11 pm »
And for a completely different grumble, it now looks as if out of the four lifts for the Greenwich and Woolwich foot tunnels, only one is currently functioning (Greenwich North). We went through the Woolwich tunnel today (no choice to use the ferry at weekends now - another grumble) and were happy enough to carry the bikes down (closed for maintenance, as it was 3 week's ago) given that it said south lift in service. Well it wasn't, and after struggling up the stairs (100 steps) we could see the entrance was securely padlocked so it hadn't just stopped.

« Reply #17143 on: 04 February, 2024, 09:49:56 pm »
Ah, the fashionable men of YACF, needing trousers like these:-

But they are not red!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

robgul

« Reply #17144 on: 05 February, 2024, 08:25:29 am »
I thought the term was ‘rise’, not ‘drop’...

I think in tailorig terms "rise" is the measure on trousers at the front

robgul

« Reply #17145 on: 05 February, 2024, 08:27:54 am »
And for a completely different grumble, it now looks as if out of the four lifts for the Greenwich and Woolwich foot tunnels, only one is currently functioning (Greenwich North). We went through the Woolwich tunnel today (no choice to use the ferry at weekends now - another grumble) and were happy enough to carry the bikes down (closed for maintenance, as it was 3 week's ago) given that it said south lift in service. Well it wasn't, and after struggling up the stairs (100 steps) we could see the entrance was securely padlocked so it hadn't just stopped.

An alternative crossing with a bike, a bit further upstream, is the ferry at Canary Wharf - goes to the Hilton (?) hotel on the other side - it does cost, cheaper with Oyster etc.

« Reply #17146 on: 05 February, 2024, 08:54:13 am »

An alternative crossing with a bike, a bit further upstream, is the ferry at Canary Wharf - goes to the Hilton (?) hotel on the other side - it does cost, cheaper with Oyster etc.
Or a Thames Clipper Ferry from Greenwich to Mast House Pier.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #17147 on: 05 February, 2024, 09:13:48 am »
Or the DLR between King George V and Woolwich Arsenal, or between Island Gardens and Cutty Sark, and now the Elizabeth line between Woolwich and Custom House. Compared to when we first came here pre bikes being allowed on the DLR (and actually we we were here pre the DLR going under the Thames at all) we do have a lot more choices. But it is still rather annoying that the foot tunnel lifts are so unreliable. In the Greenwich one there is usually an accumulation of abandoned Lime bikes at the bottom of the out of service lift.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17148 on: 05 February, 2024, 12:58:21 pm »
I like the way that they installed electronic signs to tell you when the lifts are broken.  Sort of thing that makes you proud to be BRITISH.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17149 on: 05 February, 2024, 01:23:34 pm »
I've carried the Pino up the stairs at Greenwich.  An amount of Steely Determination with a side order of Heavy Breathing was needed.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)