Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 299591 times)

That was reported forever ago- it's hardly news.

Love how the comments eventually get to KEEP tHe LycRA lOUTS oFf teH RoaDS !!!1!1

This is another two women kicked out of Zwift races for cheating.  The previous ones were Lizi Duncombe and Shanni Berger who were banned towards the end of last year.  This time around it is Antonina Reznikov and Selma Trommer.

I have not heard of any men being banned since Cam Jeffers was stripped of his 2019 British Cycling eRacing Championship title.  Are men more honest, less newsworthy or just better at cheating?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
If I'd realised just how slow copying those Rather Large Files from $SLOW_NETWORK_DRIVE to $OTHER_SLOW_NETWORK_DRIVE was going to be I'd probably not have bothered :-[
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
The calculator that KDE provide (Kcalc) works fine (well it does in Arch). Never had an issue like that.
Yeah, that works and does trig in degrees rather than rad. Thankfully.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
That's my work laptop getting reimaged for the 3rd time in about 8 weeks after BSODing *again* when trying to install a dongle driver. Wonder when they are going to admit defeat and get me a new one...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
That's my work laptop getting reimaged for the 3rd time in about 8 weeks after BSODing *again* when trying to install a dongle driver. Wonder when they are going to admit defeat and get me a new one...

Probably never, unless the point is forced(accidentally or otherwise).  One place I worked for had a policy of not giving people laptop bags.  They also gave me the oldest crappiest laptop going while others at the same grade as me were getting their choice of laptop.  One day, on the way into work, I got caught in a cloud burst.  When I got into the office I took my laptop out of the bag to find that the hand extracting said laptop was damp. "Oh" thinks I "hopefully it's just a little bit of water got in the bag and not in the laptop".  The laptop failed to boot and gathered a pool of water under it.  Pretty terminal it was.  When speaking to the desktop techs I was asked "Do you not keep it in a waterproof laptop bag?" I answered "Obviously, from the state of it, one that is as waterproof as the ones you issue with the laptops".

"We don't give out laptop... Oh."
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I got so angry with the general uselessness of my last-but-one work-issue laptop that I actually punched it.  The keyboard stopped working.  No, sorry, IT Support Dude, one minute it was fine and then…

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Well it took nearly 4 hours instead of two and then insisted on installing moar Windoze updates at the end of the day, so dog knows if it'll be working tomorrow.

ian

I have travelled back from the future, o-pingu-prime, and it indeed does not work.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
My work dell took to BSODing regularly.
It was re-imaged a few times, to no great effect.

Hardware fault.
Mr Dell came out, and replaced the entire mainboard in about 30 mins.
Fixed.

So I'd say if a standard image which works on all other machines starts BSODing even after repeated re-imaging, then there's a hardware issue.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Yeah I think our IT bod is finally getting the picture.... just have to see how much wailing and gnashing of teeth I have to do to get a solution. Especially as we don't have any spare laptops, apparently.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
A couple of days ago I laughed at barakta for muttering "DesktopDesktopDesktopDesktopDesktopTwat" at something on her computer.

(ETA: She was trying to make a file save to the desktop.)

She just caught me going "FuckoffFuckoffFuckoffFuckoffFuckoffFuckoffFuckoffDone" as I closed a several of reference tabs and an associated editor window.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
A couple of days ago I laughed at barakta for muttering "DesktopDesktopDesktopDesktopDesktopTwat" at something on her computer.

(ETA: She was trying to make a file save to the desktop.)

She just caught me going "FuckoffFuckoffFuckoffFuckoffFuckoffFuckoffFuckoffDone" as I closed a several of reference tabs and an associated editor window.

We've been stuck inside in the same room for too long.

Windows 10. Can't find a fucking thing.

Everything on work PC is on OneDrive (soon to be SharePoint) so it takes eleventy minutes to save every single fucking file meaning Office/Outlook/FileManager hang for as long as it takes for it to save... If it doesn't decide to "not merge" and crash instead.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
OneDrive. 5GB free storage to “keeps your photos and files backed up”?  That, Billy-Boy, is approximately not even close to being big enough and yet you keep trying to ram it down our throats as the greatest thing since powdered milk.

Stop it.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Today barakta has been mostly muttering "DownloadDownloadDownloadDownloadDownloadBastard".  I think we've all been there.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
OneDrive. 5GB free storage to “keeps your photos and files backed up”?  That, Billy-Boy, is approximately not even close to being big enough and yet you keep trying to ram it down our throats as the greatest thing since powdered milk.

Stop it.

Hahahahaha. 5GB, they're 'avin a giraffe, shirley?  My photo storage SSD is 2TB, and I have another image storage section on another SSD which takes up about 750GB of the available 1TB.  A typical photo download from my camera is anything up to 128GB.  42MP RAW files take up a lot of room. Thankfully these days I don't do events which involve taking 1500+ in one day.

Sadly my photo cataloguing and processing software (Phase One's Capture One Pro) wants it's main library to be on one drive, so I'll have fun if it exceeds 2TB.
Wombat

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
How on earth is my Kindle managing to do a software update when it's been in Airplane Mode from new ???

Edit: if this overwrites my book titles with the Mega-Global Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia's ones I shall be this: miffed.

ian

Les aeroplanes moderne let you play with wifi, so wifi can be enabled while aeroplane mode is on and unaccountably you still don't plunge to a fiery doom.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
How in the name of Bill and all His unholy imps did I manage to remove that line from more than a thousand files this afternoon?  Must have been Rays from Space or something.

I'm a customer of organisation A and have no relationship with organisation B. I receive an email from the account of an employee of organisation B asking me for personal data, which will no doubt sit on organisation B's email servers forever.

The request itself is expected and would be legit were it coming from organisation A. The person is doing temporary work for organisation A.

Am I wrong to think this isn't compatible with GDPR / basic personal data good practice?

Am I wrong to think this isn't compatible with GDPR / basic personal data good practice?

Ish. Who the requestor works for and where the data resides is immaterial.

What is material is that (a) they have a legitimate reason for asking for the data (which it appears that they do) and (b) they handle your data in an appropriate manner which sending the response to company B's eMail might contravene. If the individual's eMail is secure then it isn't obvious that just by being in transit to its storage location that a contravention has occurred. Doesn't sound like best practice, whatever.

Thanks for that. So it sounds like they're not automatically contravening GDPR.

I did find a thing in their privacy policy saying that any data sharing with third parties would only be done when there's a formal written agreement signed by a senior member of the third party, which it's a reasonable bet doesn't exist.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I've just found out that Windows really doesn't like folders whose names end with a dot.

Afasoas

Just checked my monitoring and noticed one of my VPS is unreachable.

That'll be why then:
http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=49484

At 00:47 on Wednesday, March 10, 2021, a fire broke out in a room in one of our 4 datacenters in Strasbourg, SBG2. Please note that the site is not classified as a Seveso site.
Firefighters immediately intervened to protect our teams and prevent the spread of the fire. At 2:54 am they isolated the site and closed off its perimeter.
By 4:09 am, the fire had destroyed SBG2 and continued to present risks to the nearby datacenters until the fire brigade brought the fire under control.
From 5:30 am, the site has been unavailable to our teams for obvious security reasons, under the direction of the prefecture. The fire is now contained.

It is in SBG1 so I may wait to see how smoke damaged it is.