Author Topic: Your bike camping kit  (Read 134234 times)

Re: Your bike camping kit
« Reply #50 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:11:13 pm »
Just invested in Alpkit sky high 600 and gamma headset. So hoping for some toasty nights. Not quite so cheap as chips but peeps seem to say buy the best bag etc etc.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: 02 March, 2011, 07:44:01 pm »
A nice touch from Alpkit was an enclosed personal note giving thanks for the order from 'Dave'. Can see me going back there.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #52 on: 29 April, 2011, 06:01:57 pm »
Tent: Either a Vaude Taurus Ultralight, if I have some distance to cover, or a Jack Wolfskin Dragon if I am only going a little way and need some room.

Sleeping bag: Mountain Equipment Lightline, with meraklon liner and waterproof outer (never actually needed) and Ajungilak compressible mini-pillow.

Thermarest three-quarter length.

Epigas/Coleman Alpine gas stove.

« Reply #53 on: 29 April, 2011, 10:21:55 pm »
Tent: Hilleberg Nallo 3GT:
Bag: Mountain Equipment Dragon 750
Mat: Thermarest Prolite 4
Stove: Trangia with gas convertor and MSR Pocket Rocket
Pans: MSR Titan Mugs & Kettle

« Reply #54 on: 25 July, 2011, 10:23:55 am »
Snugpak Stratosphere Bivvy
3-season Karrimat
2-season down bag or maybe 1-season synthetic with down vest, pile socks etc for modularity
MSR Dragonfly stove

« Reply #55 on: 03 August, 2011, 08:55:54 pm »
Late in the season I know but trying to get hold of a lightweight folding gas stove with line ho hum. Everyone has sold out- its only August just.....

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #56 on: 07 September, 2011, 11:20:20 pm »
Tent  Hilleberg Akto - legendary quality - single pole - erects in under 5 mins - can sit on mat with headroom - packs small - 1.6 kgs

Mat  Exped Downmat 7M - 1.83m (me 1.71m) - easy & quick to inflate & deflate - goose down for ground insulation & comfort - packs small - 860 gms

Bag  Alpkit SkyeHigh 600 short - 1.9m - room to wriggle -  goose down - toasty to minus 5o - packs small - weight inc stuffbag = 1.3 kgs

Stove  Jetboil Flash - needs no windbreak - click2ignite - v fast/efficient - colour changes @ drinking temp - cook 'n eat via same cup - packs inside self - v small - 400 gms

Trailer  Extrawheel 2.4 kgs + orig chunky wheel & tyre 2.1 kgs (inc skewer) + two x Ortlieb 40 litre Rear Rollers, together 1.9 kgs = orig total 6.4 kgs
           - have temporarily replaced orig wheel with 'spare' Campag Khamsin with Conti GP4000S @ 1.3 kgs incl skewer = new temp total 5.6 kgs
           - or poss handbuilt wheel (as bike) - StansNoTubes 340 rim, Am Classic Hub, Hutch Fusion 3 Tubeless Tyre - 860 gms = new total 5.2 kgs

- planning dynamo in handbuilt so back up to 1.3 kgs, but with power from trailer wheel, and great lights, and could charge batteries, yet still only 5.6 kgs

All the camping kit except stove just about fits in one of the back rollers, though in practice best to equalise weight either side if poss, and from test runs of some 400 kms, the Extrawheel is remarkably stable, since the panniers are very low down, (no need to avoid pedals and derailleurs), and it follows the bike track very closely, so even weaving through stupid scaffold pole slaloms on cycle paths is a breeze, provided you allow for the panniers, of course.
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #57 on: 03 October, 2011, 09:51:11 am »
I've been upgrading my bike camping kit after a bit of experience allowing me to identify what I actually need to make this an enjoyable pastime.

Tent - Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT.  Loads of space with a massive porch but just over 2.5kg.

Sleeping bag - Alpkit Skyehigh 600 - the most comfortable sleeping bag I've ever used.

Sleeping mat - Exped Downmat 7 DLX - over £100 for a lilo (according to my wife) but combined with the Alpkit bag it has given me the best night's sleep in a tent I've ever had.

Stove - Trangia 27 with a gas converter - you can do real cooking with this and it boils waster in under 3 minutes.  For ultra light camping where it is just for brews I've got a pocket rocket and 0.75l pot.

Now I just want to get back out on the road.  I feel some October camping coming on.

LEE

« Reply #58 on: 13 April, 2012, 06:54:55 pm »
Tent - Vango Spirit 200+ (not used it yet)

Bag - Mountain Equipment Sleepwalker II (Superb design, you really need to try one to appreciate)

Mat - Alpkit airic

Stove - Campingaz Tristar (very stable, very cheap, big output and Piezo ignition).

None of my gear is exactly lightweight, it's all comfort-biased as I don't do so much cycle-camping.

I'm really looking forward to using the new tent though.  The vast porch should make life easier.

Edit.

What worked:

Tent - Vango was superb and porch was used for mine and another's (who took a tiny tent) luggage overnight.  It didn't rain so the huge living space didn't really get used but I know that life will be much more bearable if it ever does.

Sleeping bag and Mat.  Both bulky but they make for a great night's sleep.

Stove.  A defective cannister meant 50:50 reliability but, when it did work (by bashing cannister around a while) the Tristar was very quick to boil.

Pans.  Non-stick was worse than useless.  I need some decent pans.  Omelette turned into scrambled egg and later, when washing, into concrete.

Panniers & Dry Bags - Worked perfectly.  My tent, bag and mat were bulky and took up lots of space but, because of my new front Ortleibs, I didn't need to compress them.  Bike handled like a dream fully loaded. A selection of Alpkit stuffsak/drybags made it easy to organise my stuff.

Chair - I didn't take one and I wish I had.  I need to make something equivalent to the Thermarest chair for next time.

I took too many clothes so really I could have had a spare pannier.  No big deal though.  My sleep mat has it's own drybag on the rack, it's folded and not compressed. It looks huge on there but it doesn't weigh much.

Bar Bag was a late addition and I was stupid to ever consider not using one, they make "admin" so much easier.

Tarp - I bought some cheap 6x4, flimsy, tarps for the four of us. < £2 each and they proved a huge success.  Very lightweight and made damp ground a non-issue.  Probably the biggest bang:buck of all my gear.

UK Tarps

Overall a roaring success, I just got into a nice daily routine and the trip was over...typical.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #59 on: 25 July, 2012, 08:40:26 pm »
Tent: Terra-Nova Laser Comp 1
Bag: Vango Voyager 100 Lite
Liner: from Scottish Silk Worm
Mat: NeoAit Xtherm
Stove: don't have one, yet

Weight: 2.7kg
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #60 on: 25 July, 2012, 08:59:00 pm »
Carradice camper with a nameless lightweight two season down sleeping bag that needs replacing, TN laserlite and lightweight thermorest clone that will be replaced by an exped downmat UL when I get round to it plus a change of clothes and wet weather gear. I carry a musette for buying grub for the night but no cooking stuff. All up including the bag, somewhere between 6-7kg depending on how much of the wet weather gear I'm wearing. Specc'd for some serious fast touring though my longest outing to-date is two nights. I'll let you know how it works out...

« Reply #61 on: 25 July, 2012, 09:16:30 pm »
When did a Butty bag become a Musette me wonders?

« Reply #62 on: 26 July, 2012, 10:37:27 am »
When did a Butty bag become a Musette me wonders?
They're not really the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_bicycling#musette

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #63 on: 24 December, 2012, 04:48:11 pm »
Old army basha
...been there, done that :-)

Now:
Macpac Minaret 2-man tent (2.4kg)
Vango Planet 100 sleeping bags inc. compression sack (1.1kg)
Slim Airic self inflating sleeping mat (743g)
MSR Pocket Rocket cooker and case (112g)
Go System self sealing gas canister (226g)
Aluminium 2 pan cooking set (260g)

Bought the Macpac from ebay last year and finally got to use it this summer,  thoroughly wet-weather tested and passed with flying colours. Also tried the Trekmates Flameless Cooking System flask which caught my eye in the shop the day before we left. I wouldn't have bought it if it had not been in a sale but it worked well, allowing us to make a morning hot drink inside the tent while is was p***ing down outside.

DaleFTW

« Reply #64 on: 02 May, 2013, 02:15:59 pm »
Tent - Luxe Mini Peak II

Bag - Rab Ascent 700 over winter. Looking for a new summer bag.

Mat - Alpkit Airo 180 which I'm currently selling. Moving to a CCF mat, probably a Multimat Expedition Summit XL from Needlesports.

Stove - Fire Maple FMS-117T inside a  a GSI Soloist panset. Was using a MSR Pocket Rocket, never got on with it, so I'm selling that too.

« Reply #65 on: 14 May, 2013, 06:56:42 pm »
Saunders Spacepacker Plus, Tesco footprint , tesco car heat reflector under Thermarest Neoair 4 season, winter double bag - Mountain Equipment Dream catcher 500 and Tesco down summer bag with thermo liner , summer just the liner and tesco bag ( £22 with vouchers) great bag , MRS Whisperlite and Go System remote gas burner . MRS titian pots /fry pan , gave up on sporks as just broke , Thermarest chair , Black Diamond headlight, Marmot pillow , alloy knife /fork , Ortleibs water bladder and front and rear Sport Packer panniers . If Bob Saunders upstairs is listening , what a great tent , had the first one 25 years ago , now almost white as spent a year sleeping in it and the new one just as good but bigger .

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #66 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:07:28 pm »
Does Jack o'Newbury still exist?  I remember their (his?) vans in the 1970s.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

iainj837

• Oh! what's occurrin' ?
« Reply #67 on: 26 May, 2013, 12:27:24 am »
Aventura 2 Man Dome Tent with porch
Halfords Mummy Sleeping Bag
Halfords Camping Mat
No stove yet

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #68 on: 08 September, 2013, 10:05:08 pm »
Tent - Wild Contry Zephros 2 (1500 grams)
Bag - Snugpack Softie 3 Merlin (20 yrs old - still going strong) (900 grams)
Mat - Therm-a-rest Lite (also ~20 yrs old) (850 grams)
Stove - MSR Whisperlite Universal (~300 grams ex fuel)

Plus loads of other crap I really don't need!
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

DaleFTW

« Reply #69 on: 23 October, 2013, 06:01:33 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 23 October, 2013, 06:55:08 pm »
Looks like you need a folding spork :)

« Reply #71 on: 23 November, 2013, 05:38:56 pm »
Tent=mountain hardware spear gt2
Matt=exped Synmatt ul7
Quilt=enlightenment prodigy x 30 850 down.
Pillow =thermarest medium compressable
cooking,=small gas stove or petrol optimus.seve123.
bike=raleigh753.
saddle bag=carradice camper.
barbag=carradice super c.
i'm getting there slowly. O:-)

update
bike Terry Dolan Le Tape
carradice camper longflap saddlebag
experition rack
tent Naturehike cloud 2
latest addition Thorn Audax  crackin bike .

DaleFTW

« Reply #72 on: 12 December, 2013, 03:29:39 pm »

Updated...

« Reply #73 on: 12 December, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »
The spotty oven glove is much nicer than the stripped/checkered one.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

DaleFTW

« Reply #74 on: 12 December, 2013, 03:43:29 pm »
 ;D