Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 68128 times)

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #475 on: 21 May, 2019, 06:23:44 pm »
I'd liken GoT to a diver in a 10m platform competition. They've aced the compulsory dives of low-medium difficulty early on, but on the last, most complex dive, they missed a half twist, didn't maintain form, yet somehow nailed the landing with minimal splash when they were a fraction of a second from smacking their calves on the surface of the water.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #476 on: 23 May, 2019, 06:29:45 am »
I thought the ending was decent. Didn't think Jon would kill her, so that was a nice surprise. Sure the whole season was a bit rushed, but there was a lot of stuff to catch up with.

« Reply #477 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:41:24 pm »
Thanks to Air New Zealand’s offer to fly GRRM down under so he can have some peace and quiet to finish The Winds of Winter, he’s jokingly promised a deadline of next year's Worldcon where he will acting as Toastmaster for the Hugo Awards ceremony. No date has been announced, but this usually takes place in August. If he doesn’t meet it, New Zealand gets to arrest him. ;D

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/21/thanks-new-zealand/

So some time in the next 14-15 months, eh? We'll see...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

fuzzy

« Reply #478 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:26:45 pm »
I've go to say that I found the whole of season 8 a bit meh.

(click to show/hide)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #479 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:37:45 pm »
First two eps of season 8 were great telly - 8-02 particularly. After that it was a train wreck for me. I just didn't care after 8-04.

'Give me something for the pain and let me die...' quoth the show.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #480 on: 24 May, 2019, 07:38:07 am »
If anyone is missing it already, the addiction can return next year - rumours of its demise appear premature.  They're already filming the prequel series due out next year.

Only one character the same - the Night King - set 5000 years in the past.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #481 on: 24 May, 2019, 12:23:00 pm »
If anyone is missing it already, the addiction can return next year - rumours of its demise appear premature.  They're already filming the prequel series due out next year.

Only one character the same - the Night King - set 5000 years in the past.

Writer/Producer Jane Goldman so is it going to be Stardust or Kingsman?

caerau

« Reply #482 on: 24 May, 2019, 12:41:13 pm »
Are you suggesting she is a two-trick pony?

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #483 on: 24 May, 2019, 01:29:55 pm »
No .  Kick Ass (but not Kick Ass 2). Big Fat Quiz Of The Year. Lots of good stuff.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0963359/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

caerau

« Reply #484 on: 24 May, 2019, 01:54:31 pm »
Cool - I may have misread you - and if so apologise.... quite.  Both of those sounded like a pretty good track record for me  :thumbsup:

[edit] - ooh minor claim to fame alert.  My wife used to be married to a childhood friend of Frank Skinner - she met Jonathon Ross and Jane Goldman at his This is Your Life thing on telly.  She refused a photo with them at the time as she didn't like his TV persona -  a mistake she regrets as she's since found out that he's allegedly a very nice guy in real life, ho ho.

fuzzy

« Reply #485 on: 29 May, 2019, 12:00:46 am »
I watched the best programme of the season tonight- GoT- The Last Watch, a 2+ hour behind the scenes making of special.
I love the background detail specials included on lots of DVD and Bluray so this was great.