General Category > On The Road

Cycle paths and increased risk.

<< < (2/14) > >>

mr endon:
Yes, and presumably the Hierarchy of Provision is predicated on robust data about respective incidences of KSI for cyclists under different provision.
It's that - the data - that I'm after.

MSeries:

--- Quote from: mr endon on 23 April, 2008, 07:53:55 pm ---Discussing this with a colleague; he of the view you're more at risk from motorised traffic riding on the road than you are at risk riding on segregated paths.

--- End quote ---

He's right. There is far more motorised traffic on the roads than on segregated paths.

IME it's the re-joining of the road when the path ends that is the problem, one is on the road by that point and not the path. You ain't going to get hit by a car on bike path but you might on the road, especially if the driver doesn't expect cyclists to be on the road.

Ian H:

--- Quote from: nitpickles on 23 April, 2008, 08:40:27 pm ---
...In my opinion we spend too much time in this country catering to the (very) few experienced cyclists (usually men) who don't mind mixing it with the traffic...

--- End quote ---

I didn't think any time was spent by government agencies on this. I get the impression that all their efforts are towards segregation to a greater or lesser degree. Cycling groups, rightly I think, are trying to redress the balance.

Wendy:

--- Quote from: Ian H on 25 April, 2008, 09:57:34 am ---
--- Quote from: nitpickles on 23 April, 2008, 08:40:27 pm ---
...In my opinion we spend too much time in this country catering to the (very) few experienced cyclists (usually men) who don't mind mixing it with the traffic...

--- End quote ---

I didn't think any time was spent by government agencies on this. I get the impression that all their efforts are towards segregation to a greater or lesser degree. Cycling groups, rightly I think, are trying to redress the balance.

--- End quote ---

+1

pcolbeck:
The whole "only fee safe segregated thing" is entirely a product of places where cycling as mass transportation almost completely disappeared. In towns like York where everyone grew up cycling and it's seen as a normal mode of transport for everyone and people don't think you need special clothes or shoes and helmets and hi viz jackets to even consider getting on a bike the argument rarely comes up. It's just accepted that bikes have a right to be on the road like everyone else. You will however find that people complain vociferously about those who ride on the pavement or in pedestrianised areas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version