Author Topic: Best hallucinations that weren't  (Read 10457 times)

Re: Best hallucinations that weren't
« Reply #25 on: 23 June, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »
Inspired by a conversation with Chris Benyon on the Denmead 600:

what is your best "hallucination" that was actually real?

During the Avalon 400, seeing Chris, and others going the other way...on the Denmead 600.

« Reply #26 on: 24 June, 2010, 10:30:08 am »
Chris S:

Hot linking not working. I just get a "testedich.de" banner.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 24 June, 2010, 11:08:25 am »
Many years ago, we did the first Audax heading west of the Great Dividing Range in Queensland, straight flat roads with absolutely nothing to look at except the stars and the road surface.  Close to midnight, it looked like there were mice skittering all over the road.  There was apparently a mice plague that year - crunch, crunch, crunch...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #28 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:58:58 pm »
Chris S:

I put the URL (http://www.testedich.de/quiz25/picture/pic_1215592254_1.jpg) in the browser, when I returned to the thread the image appeared in the posts.  ???
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #29 on: 24 June, 2010, 02:00:46 pm »
Chris S:

I put the URL (http://www.testedich.de/quiz25/picture/pic_1215592254_1.jpg) in the browser, when I returned to the thread the image appeared in the posts.  ???

Because your browser now has cached a copy of the right image (if you stick the URL of the image into the browser will download it again overwriting the previous incorrect image), when you come back to the thread and the browser sees the image URL it uses the cached copy (now correct) rather than the old cached copy which was the hotlinking version.

It's the same reason why the OP would be unaware that it was displaying a hotlinking banner, her browser had cached the real image.

« Reply #30 on: 24 June, 2010, 03:07:54 pm »
And I can't fix it from my phone, sorry. Apparently that site is GCSE german revision. That's what No1Son claims anyway.

« Reply #31 on: 24 June, 2010, 04:05:39 pm »
In Canada I've seen hundreds of dead rats in the snow that just turned out to be lumps of dirty slush on clean snow churned up by cars.

I've also been close to tears because of an inversion of the magnetic hill optical illusion. I was convinced that I was having to change down gear to go down hill with a tailwind.

After a 400 I was being driven back home and before finally passing out I saw a large stack of luggage fall off the roof of a car infront of us on the motorway. Luckily there was neither luggage nor was I responsible for driving. I do get nasty visual shifts at about half past sunrise but this is usually when the matrix is resetting or something.

« Reply #32 on: 24 June, 2010, 04:20:00 pm »
But, they *were* hallucinations.

This is a thread about hallucinations that weren't.

« Reply #33 on: 24 June, 2010, 04:29:20 pm »
Because your browser now has cached a copy of the right image (if you stick the URL of the image into the browser will download it again overwriting the previous incorrect image), when you come back to the thread and the browser sees the image URL it uses the cached copy (now correct) rather than the old cached copy which was the hotlinking version.

It's the same reason why the OP would be unaware that it was displaying a hotlinking banner, her browser had cached the real image.

Visit this link.  Hit refresh.

Now come back to this page.  Click back, then click forward again.  Don't use refresh.

YBrowserMV.  Not sure why I went to that effort...