Author Topic: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series  (Read 71908 times)

Chris S

Re: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series
« Reply #100 on: 07 October, 2016, 06:13:11 pm »
I was considering posting "Keep working on those winter DNS opportunities, chaps!" - but then I realised just how few Norfolk Nips events we missed through weather over the years, so I had a word with myself about being a miserable bugger; hope these rides go well!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #101 on: 07 October, 2016, 07:33:53 pm »
"Keep working on those winter DNS opportunities, chaps!"

If we get a Snowpocalypse...

...come by train or anything that doesn't risk a falling over situation and spend a convivial morning/day/evening in the Witham 'spoons.

I've got a 50km ECE route from Dunmow to Witham ready n'all - not that much more* than the gritted roads route I'd take anyway, first thing on a winter's morning.

* Ok, 24km.

« Reply #102 on: 09 October, 2016, 08:25:16 pm »
I've just been looking at the route for the Stansted Express. The first control is right next to the camp site that belongs to the Scout Group in which I was a Cub as a boy. In those days, it (and therefore the control) was on the main airport entrance road. It's commemorated in the Priory Wood roundabout where you now turn off or onto the A120 for Stansted. Happy days.

I imagine that camping there would be a bit noisier now.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: 09 October, 2016, 09:15:44 pm »
^ Cub Plane Spotter's badge?

Apparently, there's an app [isn't there always?] to tell you what each plane type is, where it's going etc, as it takes off.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #104 on: 14 October, 2016, 08:43:53 pm »
I'm thinking of ECEing the November ride (Essex 3 R's). It'll be a bit uneven; 70km on the way out & 30km back to Shenfield train station. Hey ho.

I guess I should enter at some point.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #105 on: 14 October, 2016, 10:11:41 pm »
I'm thinking of ECEing the November ride (Essex 3 R's). It'll be a bit uneven; 70km on the way out & 30km back to Shenfield train station. Hey ho.

Top banana, it'll be good to see you again, you'll be needing an ACME jersey!  Will Pippa be coming along too?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #106 on: 14 October, 2016, 10:17:59 pm »
Will Pippa be coming along too?

After dragging her around the world for the past 9 months by bicycle I'm not brave enough to bring up the subject of an autumn audax.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #107 on: 14 October, 2016, 10:37:48 pm »
Here is an overview of the ACME Winter BP Series routes, the order is
Yellow - Essex 3R's
Red - The Stansted Airport Express
Blue - The Kelvedon Oyster
Green - The Knights Templar Compasses and Cross

Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

αdαmsκι

« Reply #108 on: 14 October, 2016, 10:45:37 pm »
Four Essex audaxes and only one visit to Thaxted? That cannot be right.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #109 on: 14 October, 2016, 11:39:59 pm »
What's even worse than that is that in none of them do you ascend The Mighty North Hill, you do get to go down it once though!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #110 on: 15 October, 2016, 07:28:23 am »
Will Pippa be coming along too?

After dragging her around the world for the past 9 months by bicycle I'm not brave enough to bring up the subject of an autumn audax.

Fair enough, shame though. She can sit at the back with some of us slower types, we'll look after her whilst you disappear into the distance! 

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #111 on: 15 October, 2016, 11:50:26 am »

ECE via both Thaxted and The Mighty North Hill, then all's right with the world??  ;D

« Reply #112 on: 15 October, 2016, 11:58:37 am »
Here is an overview of the ACME Winter BP Series routes ....

A great initiative and wished I lived nearer the start.

Any reason why 'green' is exempt from mudguards compared to the other three routes?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #113 on: 15 October, 2016, 05:09:49 pm »
Tested my ECE route this morning, got me in for 09:30 to the 'spoons so might set off a little earlier to give me more ordering and eating time (I went for a trad breckie, but would probably do the larger one on the ECE version).   :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

αdαmsκι

« Reply #114 on: 17 October, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »
Right, I've entered the Essex 3 R's and will be riding up to the start from East London.  See you all in the 'Spoons on Saturday morning :thumbsup:.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #115 on: 17 October, 2016, 01:54:44 pm »
Any reason why 'green' is exempt from mudguards compared to the other three routes?
Because I forgot to include the 'M' in the event registration, however it will be recommended in the info sheet.  These are winter rides on some roads that may suffer from the consequences of inclement weather.  At the risk of opening the debate of compulsory mudguards again - for my part as the organiser of the Yellow and Green rides I would prefer that bikes have mudguards for the courtesy of pubs and cafes that may be visited; for other riders in a group, everyone is adult and can chose to ride with whom and where they like, I'll choose to not ride behind an unprotected rear wheel that is making me wetter than I'm getting from above.
I will not be enforcing compulsory mudguards at the start but would hope everyone extends the courtesy that they would wish to receive themselves. After all, it's not compulsory to sit on upholstered chairs at a commercial control, other options are available.  :)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #116 on: 17 October, 2016, 01:59:24 pm »
Right, I've entered the Essex 3 R's and will be riding up to the start from East London.  See you all in the 'Spoons on Saturday morning :thumbsup:.
It'll be great to see you again, αdαmsκι  :thumbsup:

All,
The start time is an ECE friendly 10am, however it would be nice to know that people are intending to ride to the start so if you are delayed on the road then provision can be made to ensure you can collect your brevet.  I'll be putting that suggestion in the email due to go out with final route & info sheet, probably after next weekend.

cgg

« Reply #117 on: 17 October, 2016, 03:03:07 pm »

I've yet to enter, but plan on riding from Camden. All for teaming up if you're up for it :)

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #118 on: 17 October, 2016, 04:57:24 pm »
I've entered the 3Rs, and am looking to ECE (would be my first) up to 200k for my November RRTY.

Does anyone with better local knowledge than me have any recommendations for an ECE route from South East Hertfordshire? I'm fine with route planning out as far as Epping / North Weald, but after that I'm open to suggestions. It looks like the most direct route would involve going through Chelmsford, and parallel with (but not on) the A12 to Witham. There's also a slightly longer route through Moreton, Fyfield, Great & Little Waltham and Terling, which looks like it could be nicer to ride. Any suggestions would be appreciated  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #119 on: 17 October, 2016, 05:57:30 pm »
You're welcome to rob any ideas from my ride on Saturday. https://www.strava.com/activities/745171860
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #120 on: 17 October, 2016, 07:00:39 pm »
I'm not going to ECE it but, given the rail engineering work, could be up for a lift share from the North Herts direction.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #121 on: 17 October, 2016, 08:50:57 pm »

the snag is there aren't any trains from Shenfield to That London on Nov 5 due to bloody engineering works. bus replacement :-( Only trains running seem to be the one's from Bishops Strodfort, which isn't too appealing. And I think I don't fancy riding all the way back to north London.  Which most probably means I won't join but do a DIY from Highbury and back on the same day.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

αdαmsκι

« Reply #122 on: 17 October, 2016, 10:34:40 pm »
Thanks for the heads up about the trains. Bonus 11km from Shenfield to Upminster then  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #123 on: 17 October, 2016, 10:43:01 pm »
Witham to Basildon (same line I think as Upminster) is about the same distance as Witham to Shenfield.... ??

37k if you want to avoid TMNH

(35k via TMNH and 30m of extra climbing)
Regards,

Joergen

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #124 on: 18 October, 2016, 05:46:55 am »
I'm entered for the 3Rs. Fingers crossed I'm actually in UK that day!