Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 863702 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5750 on: 07 May, 2020, 05:45:38 pm »
Park Tool Crank Puller:
Park Tool CCP-22 Crank Puller for Square Taper Cranks

« Reply #5751 on: 07 May, 2020, 05:57:31 pm »
Two of them ?  :-)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5752 on: 07 May, 2020, 06:09:16 pm »
Yes. It was payday recently, so felt a bit flushed.

« Reply #5753 on: 07 May, 2020, 06:15:19 pm »
Yes....oh yes...I've bought something  :P

« Reply #5754 on: 07 May, 2020, 07:03:09 pm »
Holds breath ...
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5755 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:43:48 pm »
Two of them ?  :-)

Of course - doesn't a bike have two cranks to pull?

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5756 on: 07 May, 2020, 11:46:27 pm »
The problem I've found with those is that unless you're only dealing with long cranks the fixed handle means you have to remove the pedal to get more than one rotation out of it.  I got fed up and shortened the handle by a few mm, which is now fugly.

Short crank users would be better served by one that's operated with a spanner.

« Reply #5757 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:52:32 pm »
I've finally stumped up for a Redshift Shockstop stem.
Part of the delay in going for it was deciding what length to get.
After fitting Ultegra 8020 hydro shifters to the Dirty Disco, I've been trying to find the best bar position; the tops of the hoods are much longer than the previous Chorus shifters.
If the new stem is a bit long, I'll just have to work on my flexibility although I still won't be able to do Tuesdays.

I've just bought a second Shockstop stem for the Disco. I've recently taken the Rohloff off my Enigma and replaced it with 105 hydro (7020 ?). That's led me to ride the Enigma more frequently and I like the slightly more stretched position so I decided to put a 10mm longer stem on the Disco (100->110mm). As an experiment I put it on the Enigma (original stem was 120mm) and the new position seems even better so it's staying on there and I'll get another for the Disco. It'll also be 110mm.

Coming eventually to this forum's classifieds section, a Rohloff wheel and a 100mm Shockstop stem  ;).

In other news, I also bought two pairs of knee warmers, a hat and a pair of gloves from the Cycle Surgery closing down sale.

« Reply #5758 on: 15 May, 2020, 07:02:23 pm »
I bought a power meter.

I never thought I'd buy a power meter but I discovered that you can get one that's compatible with a 5703 crankset and something about the idea of having a power meter on a steel bike with mudguards and a triple appeals to me in strange way.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5759 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:38:05 pm »
Ooohh how naughty of you  ;D :demon: :thumbsup:

Which one did you get?

« Reply #5760 on: 16 May, 2020, 05:40:48 pm »
It's from Stages, surprised that a 5700 model was manufactured let alone still available (though it looks to be the last of the 170mm one's)

« Reply #5761 on: 26 May, 2020, 03:24:32 pm »
A Pro Discover carbon seatpost. It contains UHMWHDPE fibres to absorb shocks and road buzz.
After a very short ride, I'd say it does that.
It's also very light.

« Reply #5762 on: 31 May, 2020, 07:09:35 am »
Bought some Shimano GR5 Flat Pedal MTB Shoes. Not that I'm going to do any MTB'ing but it's great to find a stiff-soled shoe for use with toe-clips without any SPD metalwork.

Came with an A0 sheet of instructions, including

These shoes are designed for cycling. Do not you them for any purpose other than cycling.

« Reply #5763 on: 31 May, 2020, 09:23:51 am »
I got some vouchers for my birthday. I don't really need anything, but there's a new top, gloves and heart rate strap on their way anyway.

« Reply #5764 on: 31 May, 2020, 09:37:11 am »
Some new speedplay cleats but out of patent originals not the new aerocleats. Half the price  and some walk on covers

« Reply #5765 on: 02 June, 2020, 08:21:41 pm »
Summer jersey and base layer. You can blame me for the change in the weather.

Fennec

« Reply #5766 on: 16 June, 2020, 04:19:26 pm »
New Carradice Cadet (Nelson without the side pockets) in green/honey. Good service and attractive price from Spa.

« Reply #5767 on: 16 June, 2020, 05:05:25 pm »
Phone holder that will hold phone, cash, card and keys.

« Reply #5768 on: 16 June, 2020, 09:22:47 pm »
Scalped an old Powertap wheelset from eBay to go on the commuter. Been watching it all week and sniped in with a few seconds to go and got it for more than £20 less than the max I was willing to pay.

(To be fair I have missed out on 3 or 4 over the last few weeks.)

Don't need a powermeter on the commuter but it's cheap and a handy spare wheel.

(The wheels now cost more than the actual bike as I got the bike cheap in a sale and used a spare SON wheel on the front.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5769 on: 17 June, 2020, 02:09:54 pm »
Phone holder that will hold phone, cash, card and keys.

I got one for fathers day last year. I really like it.

I did spend a lot yesterday on the tailfin https://www.tailfin.cc system.  Should arrive next week.  My sleeping bag will come out of storage into the nw flat in a couple of weeks and I will be set for a few overnight excursions as the lockdown eases. Possibly even into Wales!

« Reply #5770 on: 21 June, 2020, 04:31:23 pm »
Scalped an old Powertap wheelset from eBay to go on the commuter. Been watching it all week and sniped in with a few seconds to go and got it for more than £20 less than the max I was willing to pay.

(To be fair I have missed out on 3 or 4 over the last few weeks.)

Don't need a powermeter on the commuter but it's cheap and a handy spare wheel.

(The wheels now cost more than the actual bike as I got the bike cheap in a sale and used a spare SON wheel on the front.)

Finally got time to put a tyre on it (tried two folding GP 4 Seasons I had spare but gave up as they were just too tight).

Nothing first time I tried it (I was a bit worried I'd bought a dud or something incompatible with the Garmin) but put some fresh batteries into it and then the Garmin detected it.

Power measuring the commuter bike. Utterly unnecessary but done and sorted for £100. The original rear wheel will have the Marathon Winters put on it for the next snowpocalypse.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5771 on: 23 June, 2020, 03:39:10 pm »
Went crazy and splashed out big on an Action Camera.  Gopro Hero8.  Had been looking at the things for months and finally decided to pay the extra for the image stabilisation the hero 8 claims to have. 

Being new to action cameras, maybe I should have bought a cheapo first but it'll look good on the bike I bought off ebay for £25 a few years ago.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5772 on: 23 June, 2020, 07:21:34 pm »
Went crazy and splashed out big on an Action Camera.  Gopro Hero8.
I bought a cheaper version; the Crosstour CT8500 @ £40, inc postage.

A chap in our club has one, and his two reveiws are very complementary.

« Reply #5773 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:24:09 pm »
Went crazy and splashed out big on an Action Camera.  Gopro Hero8.
I bought a cheaper version; the Crosstour CT8500 @ £40, inc postage.

A chap in our club has one, and his two reveiws are very complementary.
Should have saved time then and just done the one.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #5774 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:10:07 pm »
After a great deal of prevarication (and saving cash) I've bought (most of) the bits for a new bike. Kinesis RTD with a Shimano 105 groupset. A Son Delux front dinohub.

Lots of new things to me (hydro disks, tubeless, through axles), but me old "best bike" is 20 ish years old (well, the frame is, I've upgraded everything else except the frame, fork and bars).

Still putting it together, got it booked into the bike shop in a couple of weeks (earliest they could do) for facing the bottom bracket and the disk caliper mounts and fitting the headset. Those are the only bits I don't have the tools / ability to do. Everything else I'm building myself.

Really looking forward to riding it. I've been mainly stuck on the turbo lately, with a few rides on my commuting bike, so a decent audax machine is like a dream come true.