Author Topic: Renewed my pilot's licence  (Read 1461 times)

Renewed my pilot's licence
« on: 05 May, 2009, 09:49:14 am »
Staying with friends after the Welsh 400 I volunteered to pilot their tandem (illness has prevented their use of it). I haven't ridden tandem for at least eight years. The machine in question is a Mercian about 20 years old, marathon frame and short by modern American-influenced standards.

I'd hardly swung my leg over the bars when my stoker was on and clipped in, ready to go. A brief wobble and we were away. I quickly discovered that the cantilevers required a hefty pull before having any noticeable retarding effect. In fact I had to go on drops to use them effectively.

N was leading on his rather fine Dan Shotton audax frame, a bit slow and uncertain, but managing. However, he dropped us on the hill out of the town - my legs were screaming after recent exertions.

On the bridge to England we were warming up and I was remembering to call bumps and potholes. The rear bars were scarcely wide enough and my thighs made contact with J's hands. The front bars were track pattern, so not much room for riding on the tops.

After the bridge we let it have some welly and got up a satisfying pace before having to slow and wait for N to catch up (only he knew the way to the pub).

On the way back N held our back wheel as we made faster progress and swooped round the Aust roundabout at speed. J seemed confident to let me lean it well over.

There was no problem manoeuvring through the barriers (one among many reasons why I prefer sensible wheelbase dimensions).

After the bridge and another painful climb we descended brakeless to the town and, for the first time, J applied her brakes as we approached the turn. Considering she'd never ridden behind me before, she'd shown remarkable faith in my ability.

There was a sudden rattle as we made the last corner, and a rubbing noise. We'd lost a mudguard bolt. But it was mission accomplished and a good ride.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Renewed my pilot's licence
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2009, 09:51:42 am »
That sounds like a great deal of fun!
Getting there...