Author Topic: The boat races  (Read 1176 times)

The boat races
« on: 09 April, 2015, 12:17:09 pm »
It's a historic year for a unique race with women from both places finally being allowed to race the same course as the men - for the last 70 years they've been racing a week earlier on a dead-straight 2k course at henley (compared to 4 1/4 miles), with a tiny, tiny % of the funding and publicity.

It's the reserve women at 4ish tomorrow, which I'll be watching from near Hammersmith if anyone fancies a pint, then the other 3 are tomorrow afternoon live on the beeb. Hopefully no more trentons.

Sadly, Oxford look quite a lot stronger in all 4 boats, they've persuaded some fantastic foreign rowers to come and do a masters and have a play  :(

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
Re: The boat races
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2015, 12:32:27 pm »
The first women's Tideway race is definitely worth a cheer, especially if Oxford are going to smash the Tabs. Where near Hammersmith? I usually head to Furnivall Gardens, or used to in my halcyon youth.

(Actually I'm confused about your tomorrows. Is Osiris v Blondie, and the pint, on Friday?)
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2015, 03:07:46 pm »
Yes, I'll be watching osiris / blondie on friday at 4.  The other 3 (women & men's first boats + isis / goldie) are saturday.  Apparently they cant fit 4 races on one tide, and even 3 is going to be pushing it if there's a lot of rain upstream.

I'll probably be at the new fullers pub the fulham side of hammersmith bridge (called the boat race, I think), or the Rutland near Furnival.  Ping me if you're coming!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2015, 07:01:05 pm »
My middle daughter has been crowing about the equality issue being resolved - she rowed at Oxford and has been rowing and sculling with Tideway Scullers for ages .... apparently her 4 woman crew won some fairly important race last week - I was disappointed that my little girl is now  classed as a "veteran" at the age of 36 and half ...

Rob