Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164756 times)

LindaG

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5150 on: 19 May, 2012, 02:56:31 pm »
, finishing with a map reading and navigation course.

:D

I'll be able to follow you in future. :thumbsup:
the view will be marvellous ;)

;D ;D

You do make me larf  ;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5151 on: 19 May, 2012, 04:34:29 pm »
Come on you Jambos!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LindaG

« Reply #5152 on: 19 May, 2012, 06:02:08 pm »
Friends coming round for curry and beer tonight  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5153 on: 23 May, 2012, 02:40:37 pm »
Have exchanged on my new house!  ;D  :thumbsup: Now I can move next Tuesday (It's only taken about a fortnight to get to this point.)

Yay!!!!!

« Reply #5154 on: 24 May, 2012, 04:21:40 pm »
Got my new seatpost in the post this morning :thumbsup: Even beter news was that I had popped home after an appointment, so I was in when it arrived! Tandem is now back on the road :D :thumbsup: :D :D :D :D :D :D 8)

Happy, Happy, Happy :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5155 on: 24 May, 2012, 04:24:36 pm »
Oh, and thank you to Tiermat for the saddle and David Martin for the more secure bolt :-*
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5156 on: 25 May, 2012, 07:12:02 am »
After 17 months of waiting I have at last had my gallstones taken out last Monday afternoon.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5157 on: 25 May, 2012, 08:21:53 am »
I hope you start to feel better very soon E.C Ryder and can get back out on your bike soonest!

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #5158 on: 25 May, 2012, 12:47:48 pm »
After 17 months of waiting I have at last had my gallstones taken out last Monday afternoon.

get well soon.  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5159 on: 25 May, 2012, 01:47:14 pm »
It's a standard national. I am very interested in "Natural Beekeeping", top bar hives etc, but it is challenging learning the ropes, so I am staying more mainstream conventional at the moment, where I can get help from the local association. I will be trying to do things in a bee friendly way - I want to keep bees because (1) I am fascinated by the principle, (2) bees are under threat, and a bit more support wouldn't go amiss, and finally (3) I like honey. (3) is not the priority!

Do you keep bees?

I used to. A combination of other things grabbing my time, a daughter who developed a life-threatening allergy to the stings and the dreaded varroasis jacobsoni wiping out all my colonies one winter put paid to it. I've still got loads of stuff - hives, honey extractor, overalls, veils, hive tools etc, just no bees.

I used 14*12s, which is national-and-a-half frame size for the brood chamber. Theoretically they are the ideal size as the brood nest, according to some, is best if it's spherical, or as near as possible. 14*12 is the nearest shape to a cube of all the commercially available hives,  apparently.

The supers are interchangeable between standard nationals and 14*12.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

plug

« Reply #5160 on: 25 May, 2012, 02:19:43 pm »
Almost 3 years of commuting 84 miles to work comes to an end this afternoon with the final return home :thumbsup:
From Monday It's <20 miles and rideable again  :smug:

« Reply #5161 on: 25 May, 2012, 06:26:46 pm »
It's a standard national. I am very interested in "Natural Beekeeping", top bar hives etc, but it is challenging learning the ropes, so I am staying more mainstream conventional at the moment, where I can get help from the local association. I will be trying to do things in a bee friendly way - I want to keep bees because (1) I am fascinated by the principle, (2) bees are under threat, and a bit more support wouldn't go amiss, and finally (3) I like honey. (3) is not the priority!

Do you keep bees?

I used to. A combination of other things grabbing my time, a daughter who developed a life-threatening allergy to the stings and the dreaded varroasis jacobsoni wiping out all my colonies one winter put paid to it. I've still got loads of stuff - hives, honey extractor, overalls, veils, hive tools etc, just no bees.

I used 14*12s, which is national-and-a-half frame size for the brood chamber. Theoretically they are the ideal size as the brood nest, according to some, is best if it's spherical, or as near as possible. 14*12 is the nearest shape to a cube of all the commercially available hives,  apparently.

The supers are interchangeable between standard nationals and 14*12.

Many of the people in the local association either use 14x12, or brood and a half. The life threatening allergy sounds worrying. I did get stung this week at the association apiary, but not while handling the bees (solitary bee on the back of my suit caught me when I reached back for the veil). It did swell up a little, but nothing to worry about. I am aware of the risk of that changing over time, so I will continue to avoid being stung as much as is practical. Varroa is also a worry, but appears to be manageable. Losing the lot would be really demoralising though.  :(

At the moment, the colony is growing like crazy, and I am off tomorrow to get some more kit in case I have to split them. Seems like you never have enough equipment!

« Reply #5162 on: 26 May, 2012, 03:56:51 am »
One of the advantages of a same-sex relationship is that the text "please bring chocolate" is recognised as the emergency distress beacon that it is.  :D
I'm lucky that Woolly's rather good at responding to the same.  :D

gordon taylor

« Reply #5163 on: 26 May, 2012, 05:10:54 am »
Almost 3 years of commuting 84 miles to work comes to an end this afternoon with the final return home :thumbsup:
From Monday It's <20 miles and rideable again  :smug:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5164 on: 30 May, 2012, 10:12:30 pm »
Wifey got a job today! Her first teaching job - she was told by the head that her lesson was the best he'd ever seen from a Newly Qualified Teacher. It's in Wells so we'll be leaving Bristol and heading somewhere in deepest, darkest zummerzet that allows access to both on two wheels.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #5165 on: 30 May, 2012, 11:19:05 pm »
Wifey got a job today! Her first teaching job - she was told by the head that her lesson was the best he'd ever seen from a Newly Qualified Teacher. It's in Wells so we'll be leaving Bristol and heading somewhere in deepest, darkest zummerzet that allows access to both on two wheels.

Great news  :thumbsup:
You might end up living not all that far away from me!

« Reply #5166 on: 30 May, 2012, 11:29:41 pm »
I am again a Super Randonneur, in fact so far the only female on the list this year!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5167 on: 31 May, 2012, 03:58:06 am »
The Eastern European Switch Monkey has done his job, I can re-connect to the servers and I may be able to head back home soon!

Result! :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5168 on: 31 May, 2012, 10:53:06 am »

Great news  :thumbsup:
You might end up living not all that far away from me!

I was about to post something to that effect in the pub visit thread - need to tap you up for info!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5169 on: 31 May, 2012, 12:22:54 pm »
Well done, SuziG! Bet it's cheaper than Oxford too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

simonp

« Reply #5170 on: 31 May, 2012, 12:37:55 pm »
I am again a Super Randonneur, in fact so far the only female on the list this year!

I'm not, as I've not ridden a 200k this season and the arrow hasn't been validated yet.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5171 on: 31 May, 2012, 03:25:38 pm »
Huzzah!  I've found my keys.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #5172 on: 01 June, 2012, 08:01:28 pm »
Miss Dan the Elder came home from school today wearing two bikeability badges.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5173 on: 01 June, 2012, 11:34:23 pm »
Is now a 2012 Super Randonneur ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5174 on: 02 June, 2012, 07:44:25 pm »
SmallestCub can reach the pedals.

Guess I'd better fettle the mtb soon then!