Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164713 times)

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5400 on: 04 September, 2012, 07:03:35 pm »
Oh, the bike! I thought his present was a haircut.

;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5401 on: 04 September, 2012, 07:05:04 pm »
The Specialized "concept store" on Park St in Bristle has two parking meters outside for bike locking.

Hoppy biffday to the Crinkly cyclist!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5402 on: 04 September, 2012, 07:20:39 pm »
:thumbsup: x 10
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5403 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:13:48 am »
Mrs T is out on the Thursday night ride with us tonight!

On her shiny sparkly purple bike!!

I have just been into the bedroom and she has sorted her cycling clothes out all ready to go!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5404 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:16:25 am »
My new lights are out for delivery as I speak :)
Even better, I rang DHL to see if there was any import duty/VAT that needed paying ... they said there wasn't  :thumbsup:

Brisbane to York in a shade under 3 days is bloody good going, whichever way you slice it.

tiermat

« Reply #5405 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:18:45 am »
Good indeed as they couldn't promise to deliver Brisbane to Sydney in two days, when I was over there a couple of years ago!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5406 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:37:24 am »

:thumbsup:

BTW, have a missed pictures of the bike?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #5407 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:52:35 am »

:thumbsup:

BTW, have a missed pictures of the bike?

You may have done, it was her birthday present, one sec I'll find the pic

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #5408 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:57:33 am »
Pretty.   :)
Done the bar tape yet?

tiermat

« Reply #5409 on: 13 September, 2012, 11:01:49 am »
Not yet, waiting until she is 100% happy with the setup (I think we are 95% of the way there, a couple more rides will tell for sure)

It now sports nice shiny purple mudguards too, maybe I should put up another pic?

tiermat

« Reply #5410 on: 14 September, 2012, 07:47:59 am »
More good news!

We did the ride.

We had beer, and chips and lots of great chat and stuff.

Mrs T enjoyed the evening!  :thumbsup: "When can we do that again, but with better lights?" was her last question to me before sleep last night!

I have fixed my dyno-light! (As I had come to suspect the switch between the hub and the light was dodgy, removed it altogether and replaced with decent grade wire and all is good in the world, no more flickering and no more being dumped in the dark suddenly)

« Reply #5411 on: 16 September, 2012, 11:47:22 pm »
Jenkins is telling me about errors in my code, instead of errors in the setup. Tomorrow I can get back to developing.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5412 on: 17 September, 2012, 01:46:56 pm »
We did the ride.

Mrs T enjoyed the evening!  :thumbsup: "When can we do that again, but with better lights?" was her last question to me before sleep last night!
A bit like Mrs B after the June overnight ride to Portsmouth*. She now has a much brighter front light, & is happy with it.

*I'd already upgraded her front lights considerably since her last (long ago , , , ) ride on country lanes in the pitch dark, but everyone else's lights had got even brighter, & she noticed.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5413 on: 17 September, 2012, 04:41:44 pm »
Just back from excellent holiday with Barbara (using the trikes) in Brittany, ah, if only food and wine was so reasonably priced here  :) 

PS: Just seen government is going ahead with badger cull, please e-mail your MP saying you will not vote for them if it goes ahead (whether you mean the vote bit or not)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5414 on: 17 September, 2012, 04:44:22 pm »
My new lights are out for delivery as I speak :)
Even better, I rang DHL to see if there was any import duty/VAT that needed paying ... they said there wasn't  :thumbsup:

Brisbane to York in a shade under 3 days is bloody good going, whichever way you slice it.
Ayups? Great lights.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5415 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:29:14 pm »
 Just got a phone call from my very excited colleague to tell me that the abstract we submitted was scored 4th out of 200 papers so we're pretty much guaranteed to get our paper accepted for a big conference. Nothing out of the ordinary for some learned folks on here but it's our 1st paper and it hasn't got our mentors name on it. :thumbsup:
Geektastic 8)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5416 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:45:03 pm »
That sounds quite exciting.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5417 on: 17 September, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »
Quite exiting ? I would say (modified) kin brilliant   ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #5418 on: 17 September, 2012, 09:17:49 pm »
I've got Friday off!   That's classical concert Thursday, day off Friday, Jazz concert Friday night and a trip to That London for a bike ride on Saturday  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5419 on: 17 September, 2012, 09:28:57 pm »
Andrew you jammy g person you. Ps I really must work out this avatar thing.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5420 on: 17 September, 2012, 09:37:11 pm »
Congrats Mrs Pingu!  I know just how hard it is to get papers without superiors snaffling all the credit and politicking it all!

tiermat

« Reply #5421 on: 18 September, 2012, 02:05:03 pm »
Congrats Mrs Pingu, well deserved, I am sure!

Mine is just very minor, but something to cling onto in the Maelstrom of shit I have had to endure over the last week and a half.

At the beginning of August I ordered a Vernier Caliper from a seller on eBay, just a cheap one, but the cost is immaterial.

3 weeks went by before he marked it as dispatched.

I waited and the quoted delivery date came and went.

I emailed the seller (via eBay messages) to find out what had happened, only to get a reply that he was on holiday until the beginning of September!  so I waited until the end of the week of his return and emailed him again (to give him time to work through his backlog).  No reply to the original email or the follow up.  I left it another week, and as we were approaching 45 days I emailed again and opened a case.  I also ordered a different caliper from a different seller.

Today I have had an email from eBay saying they have found in my favour and refunded the money, not only that the second seller has sent me not one, but two of the items I ordered from him!

« Reply #5422 on: 19 September, 2012, 12:58:20 am »
I got to see my nephew for the first time today!  He was 15 days old!

He was born 3 1/2 weeks early, breech, distressed and stopped breathing.  He had to be resuscitated and spent quite some time in NICU and SCBU.

So to see him, home, happy, sleepy and apparently healthy is awesome!  I'm an auntie!   ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5423 on: 19 September, 2012, 10:57:48 am »
That's lovely, Aunty Why!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #5424 on: 19 September, 2012, 01:41:54 pm »
The newsagent in Leadenhall Market is selling Mountain Dew (the real stuff, not the doctored UK version) at £1 a can.  :thumbsup:

Sugar, caffeine and Yellow 5 FTW.  ;D