Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164662 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6125 on: 21 January, 2014, 11:43:39 am »
The Rosetta spacecraft woke up successfully from 2½ years in deep hibernation, whilst it's catching up with comet 67P/Churymov-Gerasimenko (try saying that half a dozen times when pissed!).

That means that one of my colleagues definitely has a job for the next couple of years, and I need to finish setting our operational servers up. ;D

We've yet to hear exactly what state the spacecraft is in, but we should get that information shortly.  With luck it'll be in exactly the same condition as it was before hibernation.

It's so nice when a plan comes together.

I can just imagine the movie:

[FX: Comet probe wakes up, yawns, stretches. Picks up the phone]
[FX: somewhere in Croydon a phone rings]
*Click*
Thank you for calling our comet probe helpline. All of our operators are busy right now. Please hold and we'll get back to you as soon as the EPSRC have renewed our grant.  Have a nice day!
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6126 on: 21 January, 2014, 12:24:01 pm »
The Rosetta spacecraft woke up successfully from 2½ years in deep hibernation, whilst it's catching up with comet 67P/Churymov-Gerasimenko (try saying that half a dozen times when pissed!).

That means that one of my colleagues definitely has a job for the next couple of years, and I need to finish setting our operational servers up. ;D

We've yet to hear exactly what state the spacecraft is in, but we should get that information shortly.  With luck it'll be in exactly the same condition as it was before hibernation.

It's so nice when a plan comes together.

I can just imagine the movie:

[FX: Comet probe wakes up, yawns, stretches. Picks up the phone]
[FX: somewhere in Croydon a phone rings]
*Click*
Thank you for calling our comet probe helpline. All of our operators are busy right now. Please hold and we'll get back to you as soon as the EPSRC have renewed our grant.  Have a nice day!

;D  ;D   ;D

« Reply #6127 on: 23 January, 2014, 04:24:31 pm »
I have just secured a Harry Quinn frame and various ancilliaries for a very competitive sum.

I shall soon have it powder coated in lilac, retransferred and sprayed before taking it to a certain gig in Leamington in April. My previous attempt fooled nearly all, but not enough. This one will be kosher.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6128 on: 25 January, 2014, 07:49:46 pm »
*considers starting a Bloomin' Brilliant News thread*

Some time ago I received a most splendiferous pair of Sox by post, knitted by the fair hand of our very own Arabella otp.

Then, some time later, I realised that I hadn't seen the Sox of great Splendour for a while  :(

I search high, I searched low, but no Sox could I find.  Woe was me  :'(

This evening, I lost my second favourite hat when it fell down the back of a radiator.  It's one of those radiators with a gap that eats things, and which it is very very difficult to get the eaten things back from. 

I have deployed a rolled up atlas, the carving fork, some hot wheels track, some gaffer tape and a coat-hanger.  The hat and I are re-united but also...

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!  The Sox of Great Splendour have once more, if a little dustily, returned to me!  :D

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #6129 on: 25 January, 2014, 08:41:20 pm »
 :D
I has some socks of Much Lesser Splendour consisting of
charcoal grey
the wool remaining from the sox of great splendour
assorted other wooly remnants
and grey again

a little story for those of you sitting comfortably.  Once upon a time in 1970 mum was making a shirt.  Then my sister arrived 2 weeks early (I, the next sibling up being 3 weeks late this was unexpected).  Shirt gets put aside as now no time for sewing.  40 odd years later the 1/2 sewn shirt has resurfaced and I is getting the pleasure of finishing it (suspect it mayn't fit either of us thobut). 
It's a strident early 70s paisley pattern with darts and all (remember them on shirts, ladies?) and does up at the back - my mum used to be into shirts which did up at the back.  The collar has gone awol (as had one of the cuffs until it turned up later) so I'm doing a plain (like a roll neck but it doesn't roll) neck.  It's also best viyella.
My smaller than I am cousin is due to pay a visit shortly  :thumbsup: wonder if she will be tempted.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #6130 on: 25 January, 2014, 09:13:25 pm »
This evening, I lost my second favourite hat when it fell down the back of a radiator.  It's one of those radiators with a gap that eats things, and which it is very very difficult to get the eaten things back from. 

I have deployed a rolled up atlas, the carving fork, some hot wheels track, some gaffer tape and a coat-hanger.  The hat and I are re-united but also....
I'd have gone for the coat hanger first. I have one that's been straightened out, except for the hook, just for this sort of thing. Coat hangers are excellent things. They can be bent into lots of useful shapes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #6131 on: 25 January, 2014, 09:17:45 pm »

I have deployed a rolled up atlas, the carving fork, some hot wheels track, some gaffer tape and a coat-hanger.  The hat and I are re-united but also....
I'd have gone for the coat hanger first. I have one that's been straightened out, except for the hook, just for this sort of thing. Coat hangers are excellent things. They can be bent into lots of useful shapes.

Indeed, one was instrumental in breaking into the van I'd locked keys in (in the ignition no less) when trying to leave university. The other choice would have been smashing open the cargo bay, emptying all my crap worldly possesions and then contorting through the gap in the bulkhead between cargo and cabin.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6132 on: 25 January, 2014, 09:30:04 pm »
Except for the fact that while I have many different sorts of coat-hanger in the Den, not a single one of 'em is the untwistable wire sort so essential to the creation of a Blue Peter Advent candle-thingy....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6133 on: 25 January, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »
Except for the fact that while I have many different sorts of coat-hanger in the Den, not a single one of 'em is the untwistable wire sort so essential to the creation of a Blue Peter Advent candle-thingy....

Those are, sadly, an endangered species...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6134 on: 26 January, 2014, 12:15:58 am »
Bicycle spokes can be useful for getting things from the back of radiators. They are also excellent for getting hair from out of plug-holes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6135 on: 26 January, 2014, 12:45:27 am »
But only mediocre for burgling your way into your house when the lock malfunctions.  (I foolishly got locked out equipped with a bicycle, but no coathangers.)

« Reply #6136 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:22:02 am »

Our local dry cleaners use them (albeit in white), we have amassed 50+ of them over the last few years.

Back to radiators, I thought MiniGB had lost one of her favourite toys down the back of the radiator in her room so I dug around behind it using one. Out came dust and random bits of rubble/masonry. And a pair of socks. A pair of socks that must have belonged to previous residents. We moved into this flat 7 years ago. Ugh.

Needless to say I checked all the other radiators, and luckily found nothing else. (MiniGB had hidden her toy in the piano stool "to sleep".)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6137 on: 26 January, 2014, 11:05:05 am »
They have closed the restaurant at The Blenheim Buttery and Barbara has lost her job as chef there, good news ? absolutely, she had been treated like rubbish by the owners for years and the relief (she and) I feel at her being out of there is amazing, she is smiling again.   ;)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6138 on: 26 January, 2014, 04:11:01 pm »

Our local dry cleaners use them (albeit in white), we have amassed 50+ of them over the last few years.

I've no idea what our local dry cleaners use.  Or even where our local dry cleaners is.  Unless it's the laundrette with the cool name and the creepy proprietor that we had to use for the first couple of weeks when we moved in, I suppose.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6139 on: 27 January, 2014, 11:05:39 am »
My car has been collected for repair and the hire car has been delivered, which is good service as I wasn't expecting the hire car until 14:00!!!

Very nervous about my car, though, as it was collected by two very dodgy looking geezers.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6140 on: 27 January, 2014, 03:54:01 pm »
My two pairs of repaired (for free by Assos in Switzerland - Thank you Guy @ Yellow!) Assos F1.13 shorts are back in UK customs en route to me.  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Ruth

« Reply #6141 on: 27 January, 2014, 04:52:13 pm »

I've no idea what our local dry cleaners use.  Or even where our local dry cleaners is.  Unless it's the laundrette with the cool name and the creepy proprietor that we had to use for the first couple of weeks when we moved in, I suppose.

Ours use plastic. Useless.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #6142 on: 28 January, 2014, 01:22:24 pm »
I found my mobile phone. Its been missing since 28th December. Luckily I am someone who does not depend on my gadgets.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6143 on: 31 January, 2014, 05:18:25 pm »
I now have working drainage at the house, and the blockage was in a water company drain so it's not cost me anything either :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6144 on: 06 February, 2014, 05:57:55 pm »
A bird bath designed and created by my apprentice stonemason nephew has just been auctioned for £700!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6145 on: 06 February, 2014, 07:23:25 pm »
Did the birds club together?
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6146 on: 06 February, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31801.msg794325#msg794325  ;)

*considers starting a Bloomin' Brilliant News thread*

Some time ago I received a most splendiferous pair of Sox by post, knitted by the fair hand of our very own Arabella otp.

Then, some time later, I realised that I hadn't seen the Sox of great Splendour for a while  :(

I search high, I searched low, but no Sox could I find.  Woe was me  :'(

I have deployed a rolled up atlas, the carving fork, some hot wheels track, some gaffer tape and a coat-hanger.  The hat and I are re-united but also...

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!  The Sox of Great Splendour have once more, if a little dustily, returned to me!  :D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6147 on: 11 February, 2014, 09:30:24 pm »
I've just been asked to be the tenor soloist for the area choir's Easter choral recital :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

« Reply #6148 on: 11 February, 2014, 09:40:20 pm »
Hurrah!

More work!    :D :D :D ;)

Congratulations mcshroom  :)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6149 on: 12 February, 2014, 07:46:03 am »
I've just been asked to be the tenor soloist for the area choir's Easter choral recital :D
Cool! What are you singing?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk