Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164445 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2350 on: 02 June, 2010, 11:35:08 pm »
Got up this morning, didn't have a coughing fit, and measured my peak flow at 630l/min.  
That's pretty good- mine rarely gets that high.

I have extra lung capacity to make up for my previously documented lack of leg length.  And excellent peak flow meter technique, from years of practice.  Sadly this doesn't translate to hill-climbing ability or anything useful.

But the good news is- (provided I'm not actually having an athma attack) cycling seems to improve the general wheeziness I wake up with every day.

Yeah, when my asthma's behaving, I find that a bit of riding does wonders for loosening off any grot that may be lurking.  Unless the pollen's bad, in which case I'm better off indoors working on my geek tan.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2351 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:03:18 am »
The summer student is excellent - smart, motivated and able to hit the ground running.

Shocked, stunned and not a little amazed. And very pleasantly surprised.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2352 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:05:44 am »
I have my full set. ;D

And he places them in the glass on the bedside cabinet last thing...  ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2353 on: 04 June, 2010, 03:41:44 pm »
I've just been offered a job.  It's in the same organisation but a different directorate and a pay grade higher.   :thumbsup:

My current boss isn't happy as he doesn't want to lose me.  But at least I'll know I'll get a good reference.

And the best thing - I won't have to deal with obnoxious MPs all day.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2354 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:24:44 pm »
I've just been offered a job.  It's in the same organisation but a different directorate and a pay grade higher.   :thumbsup:

My current boss isn't happy as he doesn't want to lose me.  But at least I'll know I'll get a good reference.

;D ;D ;D

Congratulations!

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #2355 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:27:47 pm »
Super duper fantastic.   :-* :-*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2356 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:28:56 pm »
Well done.
Getting there...

« Reply #2357 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:31:27 pm »
I've just been offered a job.  It's in the same organisation but a different directorate and a pay grade higher.   :thumbsup:

My current boss isn't happy as he doesn't want to lose me.  But at least I'll know I'll get a good reference.

excellent news! is it the permanent role you were after?

Regulator

« Reply #2358 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:36:04 pm »
I've just been offered a job.  It's in the same organisation but a different directorate and a pay grade higher.   :thumbsup:

My current boss isn't happy as he doesn't want to lose me.  But at least I'll know I'll get a good reference.

excellent news! is it the permanent role you were after?

It's fixed term for a year with the possibility of extension for another year after that.

But SHA's will cease to exist in April 2012 anyway.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2359 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:37:13 pm »
Permanent is very much a relative thing in the NHS right now.
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #2360 on: 04 June, 2010, 04:39:39 pm »
Permanent is very much a relative thing in the NHS right now.

Ho yuss.....  :-\

Green Party Councillor

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2361 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:24:13 pm »
  :thumbsup:  :) WOO HOO  :)  :thumbsup:

Just heard from our lovely - and clever - daughter, young Miss eck....

She has passed her finals, and will be graduating MA (Hons) from Embra Uni in a few weeks.

She has worked really hard for this, and I'm utterly delighted for her.  :-*

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

pixieannie

« Reply #2362 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »
  :thumbsup:  :) WOO HOO  :)  :thumbsup:

Just heard from our lovely - and clever - daughter, young Miss eck....

She has passed her finals, and will be graduating MA (Hons) from Embra Uni in a few weeks.

She has worked really hard for this, and I'm utterly delighted for her.  :-*

Eck, that's fantastic.  I am certain you are a very proud daddy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2363 on: 04 June, 2010, 09:00:44 pm »
Marvellous and wonderful and great :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #2364 on: 07 June, 2010, 04:31:55 pm »
I will not be claiming JSA for much longer.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2365 on: 07 June, 2010, 04:34:45 pm »
I will not be claiming JSA for much longer.  :thumbsup:
:D that's really good news :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2366 on: 07 June, 2010, 04:44:32 pm »
Soooo pleased to hear this :thumbsup:
Will you now be doing that tour of the Dales this week that was discussed during our Snow Roads sojourn :demon:

« Reply #2367 on: 07 June, 2010, 04:48:03 pm »
Soooo pleased to hear this :thumbsup:
Will you now be doing that tour of the Dales this week that was discussed during our Snow Roads sojourn :demon:
Tour of the Baltic !

No if I am still claiming JSA I have to be available for work.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2368 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:23:36 pm »
Good news: the commute to my new job is a couple of minutes longer than my old one.

That's good news because it could have been shorter, which would have been no fun.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #2369 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:58:56 pm »
The last issue of the Bulletin of the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists (drops through our door as often as Mrs B e-mails them to remind them that their membership database has her address wrong - still) had in it a plea for help from the English author of a work which is being published in Japan. An e-mail solicited the information that she had already had a surprisingly large number of responses (well, the copy delivered here was very late, as usual), but most had been from people with inadequate knowledge of Japanese. One offer from a qualified SLT who speaks fluent Japanese had been accepted, but her knowledge of Japanese is that of a general speaker, acquired in childhood, & she knows little of the technical speech therapy vocabulary.

Guess how happy the author was to hear from a (sorry, the) native Japanese speaker qualified as a speech therapist in both Japan & the UK.  ;D Money has not been mentioned yet, but credit on a published work is a reward in itself.  Mrs B is pleased.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

pixieannie

« Reply #2370 on: 08 June, 2010, 06:30:33 pm »
The last issue of the Bulletin of the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists (drops through our door as often as Mrs B e-mails them to remind them that their membership database has her address wrong - still) had in it a plea for help from the English author of a work which is being published in Japan. An e-mail solicited the information that she had already had a surprisingly large number of responses (well, the copy delivered here was very late, as usual), but most had been from people with inadequate knowledge of Japanese. One offer from a qualified SLT who speaks fluent Japanese had been accepted, but her knowledge of Japanese is that of a general speaker, acquired in childhood, & she knows little of the technical speech therapy vocabulary.

Guess how happy the author was to hear from a (sorry, the) native Japanese speaker qualified as a speech therapist in both Japan & the UK.  ;D Money has not been mentioned yet, but credit on a published work is a reward in itself.  Mrs B is pleased.

:thumbsup:  That is wonderful

« Reply #2371 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:59:33 pm »
Indeed. Remarkably fortuitous. Mrs B has been wondering for a while how to get a bit of technical translating work, & suddenly this fell into her lap.

It's all going very well for her career at the moment. Offered a new NHS job just before recruitment freezes hit, in time to put her on the inside rather than the outside when spending cuts hit (her old job is in a private body which relies on local authority funding). The new job is also a good career move in other ways, enough that she was prepared to take it as a 3-day a week job & look for supplemental work - but then two more days a week materialised after she'd accepted it. Perfick!

Now I need to get healthy again & get a job, & all will be well with our world.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2372 on: 10 June, 2010, 11:25:47 pm »
Just to the west of Witham, in Essex, there is a very minor road yclept Dancing Dicks Lane.

It has been my honour and privilege to record this fact on Open Street Map. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2373 on: 10 June, 2010, 11:43:13 pm »
My Mum is getting a ginger kitten. We're calling her Daisy (the kitten, that is).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2374 on: 10 June, 2010, 11:47:36 pm »
My Mum is getting a ginger kitten. We're calling her Daisy (the kitten, that is).

*resists all possible Mrs. Slocombe jokes but suffers a hernia with the effort*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.