Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164713 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3400 on: 10 February, 2011, 12:02:20 pm »
Glad to hear it, all the best from us. PS your fruitcake was simply delicious!

Glad you enjoyed it  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3401 on: 10 February, 2011, 12:47:32 pm »
Glad to hear it, all the best from us. PS your fruitcake was simply delicious!

Hear hear, on all counts.  Fabulous cake!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3402 on: 10 February, 2011, 12:58:04 pm »
My friend Lydia has just rebranded her Silversaurus website as Lydia Niziblian jewellery and I have just won one of her pebble heart pendants.*squee* Her stuff is gorgeous. I have 2 of her necklaces, and £75 gift vouchers from my birthday waiting to be spent.

This is what I have won

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3403 on: 10 February, 2011, 10:34:58 pm »
My friend Lydia has just rebranded her Silversaurus website as Lydia Niziblian jewellery and I have just won one of her pebble heart pendants.*squee* Her stuff is gorgeous. I have 2 of her necklaces, and £75 gift vouchers from my birthday waiting to be spent.

This is what I have won

That's rather lovely.  I like the way she has avoided the traditional heart shape (as we see on valentine cards) and gone for something with a more organic quality. (Let's face it, an actual representation of the human heart would not be that attractive.) Is she working in 24ct or something softer?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #3404 on: 10 February, 2011, 10:38:26 pm »
Wow I just looked at the Sabbath website and I am pretty sure there is now a pic of my actual new frame on their home page (since the date if their pic is just before my frame was shipped) :D

Sabbath Bicycles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3405 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:05:23 pm »
I had a very nice conversation early this morning with a harpist and a flautist who were waiting on a street just along from me for a lift to recording venue. The harpist seemed very pleased that I recognised the instrument in its cover!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3406 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:29:59 pm »
I just laced my first ever wheel.  Nothing fancy, bargain basement bits for a 3 cross front wheel (apparently).  Very therapeutic.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3407 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:34:59 pm »

That's rather lovely.  I like the way she has avoided the traditional heart shape (as we see on valentine cards) and gone for something with a more organic quality. (Let's face it, an actual representation of the human heart would not be that attractive.) Is she working in 24ct or something softer?
She mainly works in silver Silversaurus, Unique silver jewellery but she does some gold - you usually have to contact her to get a price though as she has to buy the gold in. She's just got her hallmark in the last month. I love her stuff - I'm wondering about treating myself to the Cwtch bound bangles or this ring with my gift vouchers. I could make bangles myself though so it hardly seems worth it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3408 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:35:52 pm »
Wow I just looked at the Sabbath website and I am pretty sure there is now a pic of my actual new frame on their home page (since the date if their pic is just before my frame was shipped) :D

Sabbath Bicycles
That's nice.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3409 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:49:27 pm »
I had a very nice conversation early this morning with a harpist and a flautist who were waiting on a street just along from me for a lift to recording venue. The harpist seemed very pleased that I recognised the instrument in its cover!

Oooh! I'm going to a flute and harp concert tomorrow, in London. It's an unusual combination I wonder if it'll be the same musicians?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3410 on: 12 February, 2011, 11:40:50 pm »
I doubt it as these two are in Bristol, where the harpist is a student. But just in case, her name was Emily and the flautist was called... I've forgotten  :-[

Enjoy the concert anyway.  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3411 on: 12 February, 2011, 11:44:24 pm »
I doubt it as these two are in Bristol, where the harpist is a student. But just in case, her name was Emily and the flautist was called... I've forgotten  :-[

Thanks.
Tomorrow''s performers are:

<Our next concert will be given by Camilla Pay (harp) and Eliza Marshall (flute)
on Sunday 13th February 2011 at 4 p.m.>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3412 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:59:36 pm »

Thanks.

<Our next concert will be given by Camilla Pay (harp) and Eliza Marshall (flute)
Was it good? What did they play?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3413 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:36:07 pm »

Thanks.

Was it good? What did they play?

It was wonderful!

Two slender young women in long red velour dresses playing as a single item.
They played seven pieces ranging from Piazolla to a medley of adapted themes from  Carmen.
They play together as 'Willow'.
The concert was followed by Tea, with loads of sandwiches and scrumptious cakes.
The food wasn't all eaten so we were offered a doggie bag (actually a plastic box) for cake...
(These are semi-private fund-raising concerts held by the Craxton Memorial Trust at the Craxton Studios.)

« Reply #3414 on: 14 February, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »
I'm losing my job at the end of next month - government ideology shite branded as cuts.

Anyway, I'm somewhat of a niche fit when it comes to jobs, but one appeared in the local paper for which I am well suited. I sent off my CV after calling them this morning & they got back within a couple of hours to invite me for an interview tomorrow. Only part time, but better than JSA!!!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3415 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:24:46 pm »
I'm losing my job at the end of next month - government ideology shite branded as cuts.

Anyway, I'm somewhat of a niche fit when it comes to jobs, but one appeared in the local paper for which I am well suited. I sent off my CV after calling them this morning & they got back within a couple of hours to invite me for an interview tomorrow. Only part time, but better than JSA!!!

Go for it and good luck. If you get it, think of it as a way to rest up, recharge and make some plans without going broke. Lot of plusses to part time work.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

LindaG

« Reply #3416 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:27:27 pm »
I just played with my turbo trainer, for the first time in earnest.

The windows are steamed up, I can't stand up any more, and the neighbours have gone deaf from my most excellent new playlist.

That's the best I've felt in a while!   ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3417 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:50:59 pm »
Best of luck, AWL.

Linda, the neighbours will be wondering about steamy windows* and music loud enough to cover the creakiest of beds on Valentine's Day

* And cue Tina Turner...
Getting there...

« Reply #3418 on: 14 February, 2011, 03:57:48 pm »

Go for it and good luck. If you get it, think of it as a way to rest up, recharge and make some plans without going broke. Lot of plusses to part time work.

Thanks itsbruce & Clarion. TBH, although it's not officially labelled as such, I've more or less been on gardening leave for the last six months or so, so I'm hopeful I can get my teeth into something meaningful. The Civil Service has been a very frustrating experience, though very handy in many ways. I won't miss it.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3419 on: 14 February, 2011, 05:59:27 pm »
I just played with my turbo trainer, for the first time in earnest.

The windows are steamed up, I can't stand up any more, and the neighbours have gone deaf from my most excellent new playlist.

That's the best I've felt in a while!   ;D

Sounds awesome! Endoprphins are definitely da bomb after what you have been through recently.  I have hardly used my TT yet as I managed to do all my miles on the road last month, but I will very soon have 2 good bikes so one can live in my lounge ready for similar loud music and riding sessions  :thumbsup:

essexian

« Reply #3420 on: 14 February, 2011, 07:23:52 pm »
Carter USM: my favourite 90’s band, have just announced two new gigs on the 19th and 20th November (Manchester and London).

I know this isn’t of interest to most people on this site, but the news has me smiling from ear to ear….. and checking my bank account.

If you have never seen them live, its well worth it if its just for the crowd who are top!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3421 on: 14 February, 2011, 07:42:22 pm »
"your muscles give up, wave a little white flag, and without any warning at all"
It is simpler than it looks.

essexian

« Reply #3422 on: 14 February, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »
"your muscles give up, wave a little white flag, and without any warning at all"

Yep. happened to me around that age!!!!

« Reply #3423 on: 14 February, 2011, 08:11:15 pm »
Carter USM: my favourite 90’s band, have just announced two new gigs on the 19th and 20th November (Manchester and London).

I know this isn’t of interest to most people on this site, but the news has me smiling from ear to ear….. and checking my bank account.

If you have never seen them live, its well worth it if its just for the crowd who are top!

Yep I have seen them live more than once, at Bristol's Bierkeller in the 90's.
I have a couple of their 12"s somewhere I asked Jimbob and Fruitbat to sign  ;D

« Reply #3424 on: 14 February, 2011, 09:34:03 pm »
I saw them in Durham about a million years ago!  Were amazing..