Author Topic: Recommend me a hose pipe  (Read 913 times)

Recommend me a hose pipe
« on: 02 May, 2022, 08:50:18 pm »
I've got a hose pipe on a reel. It's a Hoselock one, I've had it for over 10 years and I hate it.

It always drips and leaks inside the reel, it often kinks and it is really hard to access the place inside the reel where the hose attaches.

I'd like one that was more ergonomic and doesn't leak. New outside tap so the perfect opportunity to get a new hose!  What are the best ones?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Recommend me a hose pipe
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2022, 09:01:58 pm »
Those yellow ones with the hermaphroditic brass connectors that they use in the park.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2022, 07:41:44 am »
I bought a Karcher branded hose a while ago - excellent - pretty tough as it's designed to work to feed a pressure washer.   

The real key is the connector fittings - as soon as they start to weep just replace the rubber O-rings (we've just bought a load of B&Q own brand fitting (muddy green colour) - cheaper than Hozelock or Gardena and seem just as good, of not better)

« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2022, 09:54:05 am »
Don't buy one of these. The one I had eventually developed lots of tiny pin-prick holes after about 12 month's use.

When not in use it still contains a lot of water and is not as easy to (roll up and) store as suggested in the adverts.

« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2022, 02:38:53 pm »
I've a Hozelok reel, but its filled with yellow heavy duty hose from Screwfix, and has no quick-connects in it. Seems to work ok.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2022, 04:41:15 pm »
Don't buy one of these. The one I had eventually developed lots of tiny pin-prick holes after about 12 month's use.

When not in use it still contains a lot of water and is not as easy to (roll up and) store as suggested in the adverts.

That type of hose requires you to empty the water out of it if you want to roll it up. The water pressure keeps them semi rigid and expanded.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2022, 05:11:30 pm »
That type of hose requires you to empty the water out of it if you want to roll it up. The water pressure keeps them semi rigid and expanded.
As I said upthread, it'll most likely develop pinprick holes in short-order.