Author Topic: Headtorch recommendations?  (Read 1784 times)

Headtorch recommendations?
« on: 29 April, 2022, 04:14:51 pm »
Can anyone suggest a half decent head torch for brief periods of mechanic-ing in a garage with no leccy? I do have a big rechargeable work lamp, which is good, but it casts a lot of shadow as I am restricted as to where I can put it.

I just need something to pop on for short periods that gives a light that is useful for fiddling with things within arms length without blinding myself with the bounce-back, rather than the fell-runners' frickin laser type.

Re: Headtorch recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2022, 04:33:45 pm »
I like the alpkit gamma

Tiltable so I can point it at what I'm working on.

The small LED is enough for most tasks. Can switch to big light if required.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2022, 04:47:45 pm »
I have a basic Petzl model, but I bought it with the upgraded lithium battery which has USB charging (it will also run on 3xAAAs). Very bright with 3 settings (I think), tiltable and a good strap. A bit plasticky but I would still recommend it.

(This one: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16004733/petzl-actik-core-headlamp-16004733)
Pen Pusher

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2022, 04:51:07 pm »
I have a basic Petzl model, but I bought it with the upgraded lithium battery which has USB charging (it will also run on 3xAAAs). Very bright with 3 settings (I think), tiltable and a good strap. A bit plasticky but I would still recommend it.

(This one: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16004733/petzl-actik-core-headlamp-16004733)

I have the same one (bought for camping, but I was using it to change a light fitting the other day!). Really like the fact that it can take AAAs and also charge via USB, and it gives out plenty of light.

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2022, 04:54:43 pm »
I do have the Petzl e+lite, which resides in my saddle bag for emergency purposes and would probably be useful for roadside use if it was pitch black, but it’s not good enough for this particular purpose.

I don’t have a frickin laser head torch, but based on experience of what it’s like using a bike light of that type while fettling, I think something more diffuse and less powerful would be the thing. Light weight and ability to stay on head when running not priorities.

So I’m after something more like what a spark or a plumber would use.

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2022, 04:55:31 pm »

“Flood or mixed beam”. That sounds of interest.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2022, 04:58:19 pm »

I have the same one (bought for camping, but I was using it to change a light fitting the other day!). Really like the fact that it can take AAAs and also charge via USB, and it gives out plenty of light.

I bought mine for camping too, but day to day it's used for jobs like taking the bin out or looking for stuff in my poorly-lit garage. I've had it since January and I think I've only had to re-charge it once.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2022, 05:03:06 pm »
Petzl Tikka has a built in slide over cover if you need a more diffused light. Which may be ideal for the problem you are describing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2022, 05:03:59 pm »
Spark of my acquaintance uses something cheap from Screwfix. Or was it Tool Station?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2022, 05:05:34 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2022, 05:09:42 pm »
If you want a killer head torch, look no further that the Exposure HT 1000 seriously retina burning stuff. Spendy, I know, I have one and I love it.
ETA: Just don't touch it after it has been on for a few minutes. DAMHIKT.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2022, 06:22:28 pm »
Aldi had some in recently, micro USB charge.

« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2022, 06:23:06 pm »
If you want a killer head torch, look no further that the Exposure HT 1000 seriously retina burning stuff. Spendy, I know, I have one and I love it.

That’s a frickin laser though - what’s it like at lower outputs for close-at-hand fettling?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 29 April, 2022, 06:50:16 pm »
I have a now discontinued Petzl.  The key feature for fettling (for which is gets used frequently) is that it has a wide, diffuse beam that gives lovely even illumination.  There's also a brighter, more focused beam that's occasionally useful when you need to peer into crevices to see where the pingfuckit went, but is generally more useful for cycling.  It does that reactive-illumination thing, too, which is great for camping, but not always ideal for fettling.

USB charging is also a win for fettling purposes, as you can keep it topped up with less faff than odd numbers of AAAs.

« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2022, 07:09:10 pm »
I like the alpkit gamma

Tiltable so I can point it at what I'm working on.

The small LED is enough for most tasks. Can switch to big light if required.

This ^.
There are two white LEDs (large and small) and the large can be turned down.
They say not to use rechargeable batteries but I have without problem.
Having said that, I did kill one utterly to death on a wet Manchester-Blackpool FNRttC*.
I only use the lamp at home these days, I have a Lupine for riding. It's OK for fettling on the lowest setting and fabulous for seeing by. The bluetooth controlled "dip" switch is what persuaded me to get it.

*Not very specific I know.

« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2022, 07:52:57 pm »
Zebra lights.

Gorgeous things.

https://www.flashaholics.co.uk/flashlights/zebralight/head-torches/
I got one of those (H600FW) about 5 years back.
The light itself is really nice, the headband less so (seems to be sized for a helmet, and ran out of adjustment used on the head).

These days I mostly use a Fenix HP25R - separately switchable beam and flood, a decently dim flood, and bright max beam.
The drawback is that the new, improved, V2 version uses a bigger 21700 battery (rather than 18650), for longer life (as well as brighter high settings).
It seems the old version is still available in some places (eg Uttings)

« Reply #16 on: 29 April, 2022, 08:18:17 pm »
Olight make nice torches.   I have an earlier model of this https://www.olightstore.uk/perun-mini-kit-head-torch.html

It's got a diffuse rather than a spot beam which is great for using in a tent, the lowest "moonglow" setting is just about OK.  Rechargeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIk3U7Og-cY
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2022, 08:23:43 pm »
Sergeant P, is this - a mechanic's rechargeable battery-powered LED inspection light - any nearer to the sort of thing you are looking for? It is not a head torch but possibly ticks every other box.

« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2022, 09:31:01 pm »
Sergeant P, is this - a mechanic's rechargeable battery-powered LED inspection light - any nearer to the sort of thing you are looking for? It is not a head torch but possibly ticks every other box.

Actually, you are probably right - a more useful form of the rechargeable lamp I already have. Thanks - I went for this one:
https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/X60SLIMX1_10/xperion-6000-slim

« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2022, 09:34:11 pm »

That’s a frickin laser though - what’s it like at lower outputs for close-at-hand fettling?
It is fine for low dosage.

« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2022, 10:38:13 pm »
It’s 130 nicker!

No can do.

« Reply #21 on: 03 May, 2022, 10:18:07 pm »
a mechanic's rechargeable battery-powered LED inspection light - any nearer to the sort of thing you are looking for? It is not a head torch but possibly ticks every other box.

Well the Philips lamp arrived today. It looks as if it will be really good for the intended purpose - thanks! The only negative is that the magnet is complete rubbish, which is slightly annoying as that would have been handy.

« Reply #22 on: 04 May, 2022, 09:31:07 am »
a mechanic's rechargeable battery-powered LED inspection light - any nearer to the sort of thing you are looking for? It is not a head torch but possibly ticks every other box.

Well the Philips lamp arrived today. It looks as if it will be really good for the intended purpose - thanks! The only negative is that the magnet is complete rubbish, which is slightly annoying as that would have been handy.
I can send you a strong magnet if you wish. Attach it to your flaky magnet using double sided tape, so that it won't detach itself.