Author Topic: Football will eat itself  (Read 32195 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Football will eat itself
« Reply #150 on: 23 May, 2016, 03:40:11 pm »
If they're not onside I trust in the linesman to find them out.

You have to trust something in this world.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #151 on: 23 May, 2016, 05:18:40 pm »

eh?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Andrew

« Reply #152 on: 23 May, 2016, 05:44:33 pm »
Football eh? Game of two halves. And extra time. Then penalties.

Ref! Linesman!! Eh? Eh? Early doors. Jumpers for goalposts eh?

« Reply #153 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:01:09 am »
Football eh? Game of two halves. And extra time. Then penalties.

Ref! Linesman!! Eh? Eh? Early doors. Jumpers for goalposts eh?
Que?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #154 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:05:55 am »
Marvellous.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #155 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:14:54 am »

eh?
One of the posts above mine (possibly the one immediately before, I really couldnt say) stated that someone was "on side". I think they were referring to business matters. He/she has now edited (corrected?) the post, so its an obsolete joke.

I am gutted. I gave 110% out there.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #156 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:33:38 am »

eh?
One of the posts above mine (possibly the one immediately before, I really couldnt say) stated that someone was "on side". I think they were referring to business matters. He/she has now edited (corrected?) the post, so its an obsolete joke.

I am gutted. I gave 110% out there.

I dun grate, you dun grate, the boy [insert name of choice. "Lineker" in the original"] dun grate.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #157 on: 25 May, 2016, 01:52:45 pm »
I dun grate, you dun grate, the boy [insert name of choice. "Lineker" in the original"] dun grate.

Ah ,declension time-once a teacher , always a teacher!!! ;)

Yup, you would have thought that MUFC would have let LVG have 24 hours of celebration with the team after winning the FA Cup.
Still, if they pay up the last year of his contract  in compensation, that will help to soothe the pain.

Elsewhere, Lerner has offloaded Villa to Chinese multibillionaire , who has promised to use the team's academy to develop Chinese talent for their national team. That will go down well in Brum then.
Despite Villa being the worst team ever in the Premier League, Lerner almost recouped the £62 million that he paid for them in 2006.
Bradford City has been taken over by a couple of German businessmen. No doubt the push for the Premiership starts soon.

« Reply #158 on: 25 May, 2016, 02:26:22 pm »
Yup, you would have thought that MUFC would have let LVG have 24 hours of celebration with the team after winning the FA Cup.
Still, if they pay up the last year of his contract  in compensation, that will help to soothe the pain.

But surely the 'leak' was not from MUFC but from JM's side.  I can only assume MUFC were not best pleased with what happened as it also detracted from their success and the LVG/JM drama became THE story and not MUFC winning the FA Cup which was a PR disaster for MUFC.

And they appear to have paid his salary in full, including bonus, without much argument.

However, they have been courting JM some time back which was not good for any organisation and questions the integrity of some members of MUFC.  Goodness knows what will happen if/when MUFC finish 5th or lower next season!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #159 on: 25 May, 2016, 06:15:21 pm »
Apparently Chelsea own the name "Jose Mourimho" as a trademark, which is holding up the signing on the dotted line business :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #160 on: 26 May, 2016, 12:54:56 pm »
According to the BBC Man United can chose to not offer certain product branded with Jose Mourinho such as:-

◾United do not use Mourinho's name against the exhaustive list of items that Chelsea have registered - from umbrellas to watch straps, lingerie and talcum powders

Jose Mourinho lingerie anyone?!

Eeew!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #161 on: 26 May, 2016, 04:30:59 pm »
I'm not fan of Van Gaal (nothing against him either) but I reckon he's been treated shoddily

Interesting.

I can only hope I'm treated as shoddily when my employers terminate my employment.
They pay him about £8million a year and will leave with a big sack full of millions for the year left on his contract.

I find it difficult to have sympathy with people on such lucrative contracts, especially when football coaches are just as ruthless with their players.

At this level if you aren't good enough you're history, immediately.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #162 on: 26 May, 2016, 05:46:23 pm »
I read that he would have gone without severance if they had treated him properly.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #163 on: 26 May, 2016, 07:57:21 pm »
I read that he would have gone without severance if they had treated him properly.
Did he put that in writing? Costs him nothing to say it after the event.

I think the handling of staff - particularly managers - is shocking in The Prem, but Lee's got a point; on those kinds of salaries you dont get much sympathy from this sports fan.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #164 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:29:56 pm »
But surely employment law etc extends to all employees and not just those paid a lot of money.

While I don't support wage excesses that we see in a number of areas, those willing to pay for them, along with those that support them, have an option in a free market economy.  Some folk think spending £x pounds on Rapha or Assos shorts is bizarre.  Individual choice in a free market economy.

Money alters lots of things and the change in that game we call football is but one example.

« Reply #165 on: 27 May, 2016, 07:49:03 am »
According to the BBC Man United can chose to not offer certain product branded with Jose Mourinho such as:-

◾United do not use Mourinho's name against the exhaustive list of items that Chelsea have registered - from umbrellas to watch straps, lingerie and talcum powders

Jose Mourinho lingerie anyone?!

Eeew!

Jose has a fairly substantial female component in his fan base.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #166 on: 27 May, 2016, 11:31:16 am »

Ah ,declension time-once a teacher , always a teacher!!! ;)

Elsewhere, Lerner has offloaded Villa to Chinese multibillionaire , who has promised to use the team's academy to develop Chinese talent for their national team. That will go down well in Brum then.
Despite Villa being the worst team ever in the Premier League, Lerner almost recouped the £62 million that he paid for them in 2006.
Bradford City has been taken over by a couple of German businessmen. No doubt the push for the Premiership starts soon.

Conjugation, boy, Conjugation! Declension for nouns, conjugation for verbs.

Write out 100 times "I must not confuse my nouns with my verbs."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #167 on: 27 May, 2016, 05:47:47 pm »
But surely employment law etc extends to all employees and not just those paid a lot of money.

Correct, which is why they will pay him several millions, for the year left on his contract.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

« Reply #170 on: 03 June, 2016, 02:32:00 pm »

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #172 on: 26 December, 2020, 04:27:09 pm »
The Overton Window features in football!
It is not just that the wealthiest clubs are winning much more, however. It is that they are winning by much more.

So many clear victories are perhaps the clearest indication of the ‘Overton window’ effect of this: where gradual shifts over time make abnormal situations feel normal to anyone watching on. Thrashings of the scale the wealthiest clubs now dole out – Manchester City beating Watford 8-0 or Bayern Munich beating both Mainz and Werder Bremen 6-1 this season – used to be so much rarer. Even 5-0 thrashings were comparatively uncommon.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-superclubs-liverpool-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9330431.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.