Author Topic: NCN cuts 25% of its routes  (Read 10617 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: NCN cuts 25% of its routes
« Reply #50 on: 08 August, 2020, 05:57:17 pm »
There's a tile I want that would require going out onto the mud. Trying to work out how to address this.

What are these "tiles" of which you speak?

Openstreetmap tiles, as used by the VeloViewer Explorer, Max Square and Max Cluster metrics.

(It's an excuse for a bike ride, basically.  Like filling in all the roads on your local OS map.)

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108374.0 refers

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #51 on: 10 August, 2020, 06:24:33 am »
I do have something of a habit of going down side roads, just on the basis of "hmm, wonder where that goes?", the answer round here being mostly nowhere as they stop abruptly at a drainage ditch.  Can't be added chasing yet another made up number though
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

simonp

« Reply #52 on: 10 August, 2020, 02:39:08 pm »
I do have something of a habit of going down side roads, just on the basis of "hmm, wonder where that goes?", the answer round here being mostly nowhere as they stop abruptly at a drainage ditch.  Can't be added chasing yet another made up number though

I’m up to a 15x15 max square from 6x6 (and max here was 5x5) due to covid. It’s something to do. Some off roading has been required so it’s an incentive to go off the beaten track.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:29:21 pm »
Yeah, in normal times I'd be touring or audaxing or indeed racing.  But as something to do from home it's a lot more interesting than riding the same handful of routes over and over.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #54 on: 14 August, 2020, 07:42:53 pm »

From twitter...

"Also accidentally tried to cycle through a prison on this ride. In fairness the barriers did look very similar to the ones on national cycle network routes"

https://twitter.com/theeyecollector/status/1294342259710754821

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 14 August, 2020, 08:19:09 pm »
There's an audax, the Jack & Grace Cotton Memorial ride, that used to use an open prison as a control. Refreshments made and served by the prisoners.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #56 on: 15 August, 2020, 11:28:34 pm »
There's an audax, the Jack & Grace Cotton Memorial ride, that used to use an open prison as a control. Refreshments made and served by the prisoners.
Hm you've given me an idea, must contact Castle Huntly, would be odd for them to have people wanting to come in I suppose.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 16 February, 2022, 01:18:19 pm »
3-years-on progress report: https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/news/2022/february/paths-for-everyone-three-years-on/

(click to show/hide)

I might be in cynic mode.  I watched a presentation about the West Kernow Way last night, which basically ended in "...Oh, you'll need to drive to the start."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #58 on: 16 February, 2022, 01:28:18 pm »
I might be in cynic mode.  I watched a presentation about the West Kernow Way last night, which basically ended in "...Oh, you'll need to drive to the start."

Oh ffs.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 16 February, 2022, 01:44:38 pm »

Oh ffs.

To be fair to we arecyclingUK, they have almost as little control over GWR's cycle provision as GWR do.

It's all very well saying "You could always cycle there", but this is a largely off-road route with narrow technical sections that pretty much requires knobbly tyres and bikepacking tactics - the sort of thing most people would quite reasonably want to use a MTB or gravel bike for.  Which isn't ideal for covering large distances on road, even if you had the abundance of free time.

But the CTC have always been a bit like this.  If it's not cars, it's aeroplanes.  I assume it's what their demographic surveys tell them about their membership.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #60 on: 16 February, 2022, 01:48:35 pm »

To be fair to we arecyclingUK, they have almost as little control over GWR's cycle provision as GWR do.

It's all very well saying "You could always cycle there", but this is a largely off-road route with narrow technical sections that pretty much requires knobbly tyres and bikepacking tactics - the sort of thing most people would quite reasonably want to use a MTB or gravel bike for.  Which isn't ideal for covering large distances on road, even if you had the abundance of free time.

But the CTC have always been a bit like this.  If it's not cars, it's aeroplanes.  I assume it's what their demographic surveys tell them about their membership.

You'd think it should start and finish at a station.

Sustrans should be leading the campaign for bikes on trains in the UK as well.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 16 February, 2022, 01:51:31 pm »
You'd think it should start and finish at a station.

It does start in Penzance, which has an abundance of trains with massively oversubscribed inadequate cycle provision.

Sustrans should be leading the campaign for bikes on trains in the UK as well.

They've always seemed suspiciously quiet on the matter, which seems at odds with their name.  But so does their focus on leisure and exercise to the detriment of people wanting to cycle for transport (eg. being too eager to have 'cyclists should slow down' as their solution to poor design speeds).

The CTC don't achieve much, but they do regularly make noise about cycles on trains.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #62 on: 16 February, 2022, 02:52:26 pm »
Also in digested form here: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/feb/16/cycling-charity-launches-ambitious-plan-to-boost-uk-wide-path-network
However, there are concerns that at the current rate of progress – Sustrans, the charity that manages the network, will complete 416 miles of improvements by 2023, and has removed just 315 of 16,000 barriers – the goal of a barrier-free network could take another 150 years.

The charity owns only 2% of the network, much of which is on public roads, and its latest report into the state of the current NCN shows how far there is still to go. Only a third of the NCN is currently traffic-free. A third (33%) is classed by Sustrans as very poor, 61% good and only 2% very good.

Xavier Brice, Sustrans’ CEO, told the Guardian: “The idea of the National Cycle Network isn’t to, for example, replace the need for fully segregated high-volume cycle lanes in cities and towns, or to replace the need for neighbourhoods that are pleasant and easy to move around without a car. This is a strategic arterial core network.

I think the fundamental problem with NCN as a network of non-motorised transport routes is that they're chasing the wrong target; they're creating something that supplements roads rather than making roads welcoming to kids on tagalongs and grannies in mobility scooters. In a very few cases they've created something that replaces roads – but only for specific journeys. The Bristol-Bath path is great, totally kid-and-granny friendly – until you get to either end or unless you want to go to somewhere in the middle. Speed limits and modal filtering on minor roads, properly segregated and connected facilities on busy roads, would (eventually) serve not just every town and village but every building. But that would mean DfT providing for cycling and walking on the same basis it provides for driving.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 16 February, 2022, 06:42:05 pm »
This is a strategic arterial core network.

...for dog-emptying?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #64 on: 16 February, 2022, 06:49:20 pm »
I think that in the phrase "strategic core arterial network" there are three adjectives performing one function; to distract from the fact that it isn't, in fact, a network.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #65 on: 19 February, 2022, 08:55:52 pm »
"Waiter, there's a file in my cake"
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.