Author Topic: Tales from the Wobbly Workshop  (Read 186220 times)

Tales from the Wobbly Workshop
« on: 06 January, 2013, 09:07:16 pm »
Many YACFers know that I make cycling and bicycle related contraptions creations. Several will have seen me write about them a few years ago on another forum.  :smug:

This year, I intend to get more projects underway, and I thought that some of my friends on YACF might like to follow them. So, I'm creating this thread. I've tucked it away in, the underused, 'Skip Bike & Bodge It' so it's easy to ignore if you just forumate for the Audax or politics.  :P

If I may, I'll start of by presenting a few of the old projects, mixed in with the new, to give people a flavour of my work...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Tales from the Wobbly Workshop
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »
*gets comfy chair*:thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
...and I'll start with this one. See if you can guess what it is before you reach the bottom of the post:

First I ground down the ends of some cranks, so that I could weld them into the ends of some box section to give me pedal threaded holes:

The box section was cut to fit where I needed it and nuts were brazed into the ends:

Holes for 6mm machine screws were drilled in an old rim. I think the rim must have been made in Russia by the strange name on it.  ;)

The holes are to bolt the box section to the rim:

This helps hold the bits in place...

... so that they can be welded together  :thumbsup:

A quick clean up with the grinder, and pedals can be fitted for a test ride :facepalm:

...and a final shot of it once it's been painted & stickers applied.  :smug:

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2013, 09:49:59 pm »
Here's a more recent one - Started on Friday to be precise.

If the Wobbly Workshop did Waterbottles...

We got a new toy at work - a CNC laser cutter.  :D
 ...and, of course I need to make sure I know how to use it.   :demon:

My waterbottle hip flask, that sits in a custom made cage, has started to get tatty - the faux leather is peeling & stained :(

In stock, I have a quantity of real leather from a couple of dumped sofas.   ::-)

A quick blast in the laser cutter to burn some stitch holes and 'engrave' a logo   ;)

Double sided tape holds the leather to the flask, and I used a bit of backing to stop it sticking while I stitched. I started doing it properly, but then decided just to 'boot-lace' it up.

It looks much better when the thread ( I used strong tent-making thread) is tightened    :)

The front looks quite good too.  :smug:

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2013, 09:59:18 pm »
So far I love this thread!

Now, can you tell us how you made the hip flask carrier, I feel a project coming on!

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2013, 10:37:36 pm »
So far I love this thread!

Now, can you tell us how you made the hip flask carrier, I feel a project coming on!

You can buy them from Charlie the Bikemonger, but the plastic bits of mine came from an old Raleigh bottle cage. The aluminium and plastic bits of the Raleigh bottle cages tend to fall apart, and you might be able to notice the 3mm grub screw that now holds my cage together.
The new aluminium part was just bent up, by eye, from an anealled bit of 6mm aluminium rod.

I've got it so that it will still hold a normal water bottle if I'm not in the mood for a single malt.  :smug:

« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »
Not as much response as I expected.  :(

Let's show you how the Penny Fakething was made, and hopefully I'll have something new for tomorrow.

Take a donor bike...

...and strip out the forks. They are going to end up here:

For this they need cold setting to match the frame:

The frame & forks are cut...

...and welded up

Meanwhile, a tube is added to the headtube...

...and bent to shape for the spine

Some small forks are welded in the other end of the tube and a footpeg added for mounting.

A bit of old frame is added to hold the saddle. And a piece of tubing from a scrap office chair is altered slightly to make handlebars, which are mounted in a stem fitted in the original seat tube.

The 'step-through' handlebars means it is safer than a proper pennyfarthing as it is possible to dismount forwards without handlebars being in the way.  :demon:

A few months later, Velovision Editor, Peter Eland, catches me riding it at an event...  ::-)

...which is where this video was taken.  :smug:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOXAB19lqxQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/MOXAB19lqxQ&rel=1</a>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2013, 12:32:43 am »
Not as much response as I expected.  :(

Oh, I for one have pulled up a comfy chair (and a first aid kit) to watch the thread with interest.  Just didn't get round to commenting.

Short wheelbase, under-seat steering, doesn't violate the 'no fixies' rule.  I think I want one...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2013, 12:39:29 am »
Having recently mended a Wobbly 'inspired' creation* and having built several contraptions of my own in the past I will happily draw up a deckchair next to Clarion and offer to share my 'Xtravaluemegabucket'o'popcorn' and big gulp Dr. Pepper.

Please continue with the inspired choices and, whatever else should happen, we need your continued silliness and creativity. Please do not be disheartened by the seeming lack of response but monitor the number of views of the topic. Not everyone who looks will actually post a reply.

Clarion. Would you like some popcorn?

*A 'Spin' cycle which had shattered the drive pin connecting the axle to the front wheel.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2013, 12:48:12 am »
I don't think that the inspired inventors throughout the history of mankind would have bothered if it was public adulation they were after, WJ!

Beethoven didn't know how well his 9th symphony had been received until the end.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2013, 12:50:48 am »
I love it!!
Simply brilliant, please carry on with the madness.

« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2013, 12:54:29 am »
Great stuff!

« Reply #12 on: 08 January, 2013, 06:43:41 am »
 :thumbsup:
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #13 on: 08 January, 2013, 06:58:41 am »
*struggles to hide hydraulic press envy*

Toady

« Reply #14 on: 08 January, 2013, 08:19:30 am »
I'm a fan

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 08 January, 2013, 09:26:15 am »
Having recently mended a Wobbly 'inspired' creation* and having built several contraptions of my own in the past I will happily draw up a deckchair next to Clarion and offer to share my 'Xtravaluemegabucket'o'popcorn' and big gulp Dr. Pepper.

Please continue with the inspired choices and, whatever else should happen, we need your continued silliness and creativity. Please do not be disheartened by the seeming lack of response but monitor the number of views of the topic. Not everyone who looks will actually post a reply.

Clarion. Would you like some popcorn?

*A 'Spin' cycle which had shattered the drive pin connecting the axle to the front wheel.

Popcorn?  I'm on a diet, you know.

Oh, go on, then.

Every project you post, Wobbly, makes me think, 'that is the nuttiest idea'.  Until I see the next one.  The Penny Fakething is a marvellous case in point.  The photo of the cold setting of the forks makes me wince.  In fact, I'd be hiding behind my chair, and peeping through my fingers if I weren't typing now ;D

But, in the end, that PF turns out to be a relatively sane and sensible outcome.  I'm...tempted.
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #16 on: 08 January, 2013, 09:35:28 am »
You are a nutter of the highest order - luckily a highly skilled nutter that can turn these ideas into reality.

Awesome stuff!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #17 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:04:17 am »
I don't think that the inspired inventors throughout the history of mankind would have bothered if it was public adulation they were after, WJ!

It's not adulation I seek. I was just suprised that there weren't more: How? Why? IWOOT, comments.  :P

« Reply #18 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:06:10 am »
*struggles to hide hydraulic press envy*

Unfortunately it tends to crush the lightweight ERW tube I often want to work with, even when they are packed with sand.  >:(

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #19 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:16:30 am »
Mad!  But good.

« Reply #20 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:24:28 am »
Keep 'em coming. This is fabulous stuff.
Rust never sleeps

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #21 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:33:02 am »
The Penny Fakething looks like the ideal ride to avoid wet legs when crossing fords on the Peddars Way...  ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #22 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:54:13 am »
This is fun..... did you ever do a pushmepullyou?

« Reply #23 on: 08 January, 2013, 10:58:45 am »
I have not made one yet, But I have riden as stoker on the back of one of these.  :o

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24 on: 08 January, 2013, 03:54:38 pm »
I have not made one yet, But I have riden as stoker on the back of one of these.  :o

I've ridden as both captain and stoker on one of they.  Scary Stuffs being on the back.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime