Author Topic: Thanks to all and card swapping  (Read 1166 times)

revrob

• YACF 426
Thanks to all and card swapping
« on: 27 March, 2010, 05:02:10 pm »
First of all, can I thank everyone for all their help with buying and setting up my Vista HCx.

I've just done my first ride with navigation!
FF and the articles on the AUK website, along with this GPS forum made a potentially complicated task quite straightforward!
Very many thanks to you all.  :thumbsup:

I do have a question, though.

I bought the Garmin CityNavigator maps for Europe. It fills the 2gb microSD card it came on.

If I get myself a 4 or 8gb microSD card, will I be able to copy the maps onto them, and still have lots of space left for tracks / other maps etc?
Pob bendith,

Robert

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Thanks to all and card swapping
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2010, 05:09:26 pm »
The card will only hold 1 map file (the file that is loaded from the PC always has the same name that the GPS recognises - regardless of which map it is)

I have 3 Garmin MapSource maps - UK, Europe & N Americ - simplest was to get separate cards as they cost peanuts nowadays (7 day shop in Guernsey was cheapest I could find)

I did consider copying the 3 on to one card (with different file names) and then using the File manager in my Smartphone to change file name to the default for the one I wanted to use ... too much hassle - and the Europe one does everything I want anyway

Rob

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2010, 05:55:10 pm »
If you bought City Navigator on an SD card, then the maps will be locked to that specific card. So it probably won't work if you just copy it onto another card.
Unless you can find an unlock code generator...

If you bought City Navigator on a CD/DVD and loaded them onto a card using Mapsource, then the maps will be locked to the serial number of your eTrex, so should work if you copy them to another card.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2010, 07:16:34 pm »
If you bought City Navigator on an SD card, then the maps will be locked to that specific card. So it probably won't work if you just copy it onto another card.
Unless you can find an unlock code generator...

If you bought City Navigator on a CD/DVD and loaded them onto a card using Mapsource, then the maps will be locked to the serial number of your eTrex, so should work if you copy them to another card.

Ah, forgot to mention that - I bought them onCD/DVD and have the codes that match my eTrex

Rob