Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576377 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1025 on: 10 November, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »
Day - just give up ok.

Having to use up leave because I slept in is my problem, but then getting parked in at the sorting office for half and hour and giving me a mysterious cut in an active area leading to sitting in a lead box with a beta-gamma counter on my finger for 10 minutes is just taking things too far :(
The gremlins have it in for you, me lad.

Your finger started glowing yet?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1026 on: 10 November, 2011, 03:36:50 pm »
Day - just give up ok.

Having to use up leave because I slept in is my problem, but then getting parked in at the sorting office for half and hour and giving me a mysterious cut in an active area leading to sitting in a lead box with a beta-gamma counter on my finger for 10 minutes is just taking things too far :(

Nope, below limit of detection :)

I almost ended up setting the alarm bells off though as the monitor left the sealed source in the box with me first time so I was producing quite a count.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1027 on: 11 November, 2011, 10:08:17 am »
Leafblowing - why?

The other day, there was a chap blowing leaves off his drive into the road, just where you'd expect bikes to be.

This morning, a council chap was blowing leaves off the pavement into the (wet, downhill, round a bend between parked cars with oncoming ratrunners) street.  I looked round the corner to see if there were a sweeper lorry behind him, but no.

???
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1028 on: 11 November, 2011, 12:20:33 pm »
$INTERNET_RADIO_STATION - why not just change your name to "Banco De Gaia FM" and have done with it? Whilst I don't dislike their stuff, when it seems like you're playing one of their tracks every 10 minutes or so it starts to get a bit tedious.

Try and mix it up a bit, eh?

« Reply #1029 on: 11 November, 2011, 12:35:39 pm »
Day - just give up ok.

Nope, below limit of detection :)

I almost ended up setting the alarm bells off though as the monitor left the sealed source in the box with me first time so I was producing quite a count.

Ah, so no discernible super-powers manifesting themselves, either? ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1030 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:20:29 pm »
Dear My Employer, please tell us what is the point of introducing new touch-down desks at headquarters which have to be booked in advance.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1031 on: 11 November, 2011, 02:01:59 pm »
When was it that the human race lost the ability to design/install a paper towel dispenser that can dispense exactly ONE, un-molested and intact, paper towel?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #1032 on: 11 November, 2011, 02:17:19 pm »
When was it that the human race lost the ability to design/install a paper towel dispenser that can dispense exactly ONE, un-molested and intact, paper towel?

Rower, it never lost it because it never had it.  However, I have thought of running a workshop on this:  the answer vseems to be to use both hands to pull out the towel.  Give it a try!

« Reply #1033 on: 11 November, 2011, 02:56:56 pm »
And someone to maintain it properly. I.e. not to cram as many towels into the holder as possible, so bearing down too heavily on the bottom ones...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1034 on: 12 November, 2011, 10:30:16 am »
A double barrelled grumble

these f8888**g specs are driving me to distraction >:( >:(

I have a nice route planned from here to Barton under Needwood & am suddenly overtaken by an acute attack of ICBA :(

« Reply #1035 on: 12 November, 2011, 10:42:55 am »

I have a nice route planned from here to Barton under Needwood & am suddenly overtaken by an acute attack of ICBA :(

Just looked it up.  It looks great - historic church and five pubs (if you like Marstons).  There isn't going to be a better day - do it!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1036 on: 12 November, 2011, 02:32:47 pm »
I've had enough of being in the office on a Saturday, I'm going home!

Sadly, the main activity awaiting me is the continuation of what I've been doing in the office the last four hours...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1037 on: 12 November, 2011, 04:17:55 pm »

Just looked it up.  It looks great - historic church and five pubs (if you like Marstons).  There isn't going to be a better day - do it!

& Adrian Timmins (TdF & Olympic rider) has a shop there.Very nice bikes & kit in there.Mostly high end stuff but a nice smaller selection of stuff suitable for lesser mortals:and he does coaching.
If my lottery ticket wins tonight I'll be back* there tomorrow.

* I allowed myself to be seduced by a combination of the charms the internal combustion engine & Marj's driving :)

« Reply #1038 on: 12 November, 2011, 04:37:51 pm »

At least 1 pub closed for re-furb at the moment (Middle Bell), Top Bell is now Little India restaurant.

Good pub at Barton Marina as well, with loads of real ales, including their own.

« Reply #1039 on: 12 November, 2011, 04:39:54 pm »

& Adrian Timmins (TdF & Olympic rider) has a shop there.Very nice bikes & kit in there.Mostly high end stuff but a nice smaller selection of stuff suitable for lesser mortals:and he does coaching.
If my lottery ticket wins tonight I'll be back* there tomorrow.

* I allowed myself to be seduced by a combination of the charms the internal combustion engine & Marj's driving :)

Ada is closed Sundays, and opens at 1.30 on Mondays (otherwise open all times)

« Reply #1040 on: 13 November, 2011, 07:07:17 am »
I'm competing today, so having to get up ridiculously early (been up for nearly an hour already).  I couldn't get to sleep last night (just wasn't tired), presumably because I had two mouthfuls of a caffeinated drink at 3:30 and I was still buzzing at midnight!   :facepalm:

Must remember: no caffeine at all after 3 or I don't sleep!!

I'm tired!  I don't want to be this tired when showjumping! 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1041 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:23:52 am »
I'm competing today, so having to get up ridiculously early (been up for nearly an hour already).  I couldn't get to sleep last night (just wasn't tired), presumably because I had two mouthfuls of a caffeinated drink at 3:30 and I was still buzzing at midnight!   :facepalm:

Caffeine has along half-life.
If your total intake over a 24 hour period is more than the equivalent of five cups of coffee, it can affect night time sleep.

« Reply #1042 on: 13 November, 2011, 03:43:18 pm »

Caffeine has along half-life.
If your total intake over a 24 hour period is more than the equivalent of five cups of coffee, it can affect night time sleep.

My biggest problem is that I have pretty much none at all day to day.  So if I do have some, it affects me that much more!  Hence the need for a cut-off point or I don't sleep  :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1043 on: 13 November, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »
Leafblowing - why?

The other day, there was a chap blowing leaves off his drive into the road, just where you'd expect bikes to be.

This morning, a council chap was blowing leaves off the pavement into the (wet, downhill, round a bend between parked cars with oncoming ratrunners) street.  I looked round the corner to see if there were a sweeper lorry behind him, but no.

???
The reason is simple, and ubiquitous: we've got a machine to do it.

Brooms are so... manual.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1044 on: 13 November, 2011, 05:51:15 pm »
STOPPIT WITH THE FIREWORKS!!

I had just drifted off last night when someone set a bunch off.

And then when I drifted off again the neighbour's visitors left, with much banging of car doors and a shouted conversation/set of goodbyes between the car and the garden gate, why not do that indoors in the warm?

And as icing on the cake at about 1am when some of the neighbourhood dogs were barking some bright spark thought bellowing out his window "SHUT UP!" would actually work and not just make them bark more.  :facepalm:

Still, I got a lie-in at least.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1045 on: 15 November, 2011, 09:36:29 am »
That, Sir, is a Vauxhall Meriva, not a Red Bull RB7.  You are not aiming for pole position, therefore there is no need to ride the kerb on the inside of the roundabout.  It gained you precisely this: 0.

Twat.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1046 on: 15 November, 2011, 01:33:22 pm »
RoyalMail, where are my parts? I have a bike, in the garage, in bits that needs the parts you are in possession of to finish it off.....

Grumble, grumble bah! humbug!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1047 on: 15 November, 2011, 02:23:19 pm »
eBay seller: I bought your Avid BB5s because you said they came with 160mm rotors. They didn't - they were 185mm ones. Now I have to reuse my ageing 160mm ones & that was one reason I went for your kit. Let us see what you propose to do about it...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

LindaG

« Reply #1048 on: 16 November, 2011, 02:10:10 pm »
Royal Opera House.

Your website is shit.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #1049 on: 16 November, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »
But their choice of personal titles on the registration page is a thing of joy.
Not especially helpful or mature