Author Topic: Talk to me about shower screens vs curtains  (Read 9922 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Talk to me about shower screens vs curtains
« on: 30 December, 2016, 10:22:53 am »
Advantages of screens: can be quickly wiped dry so the bathroom doesn't stay humid for hours.  Theoretically better at stopping spray from overexuberant showers, although I've never had an issue with curtains and power showers.  May look better.

Advantages of curtains: much, much bigger so the floor doesn't get wet.  Easy to wash so you don't get a build up of mould where they touch the bath.  Cheap and easy to fit.

What do you prefer?  Currently have a curtain but leaving the window ajar for 3 hours after a shower is annoying and wasteful in winter.  It's a gravity shower btw (more flow than an electric shower, less than a power shower).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Talk to me about shower screens vs curtains
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2016, 10:35:25 am »
I loathe the fight that is inevitable with a shower curtain.    Screens every time for me.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 30 December, 2016, 11:21:43 am »
Curtains don't shatter and fill the shower room with thousands of pieces.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 30 December, 2016, 11:22:16 am »
I presume you're talking about a shower over a bath, right?

Get rid of the bath and install a dedicated shower cubicle - either with doors or do the modern thing and turn your bathroom into a "wet room".
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 30 December, 2016, 11:33:03 am »
Are Wet Rooms one of those things that seem briliant when you're on holiday somewhere hot, but turn out to blow chunks back in Blighty for Unforeseen Reasons?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 30 December, 2016, 11:40:16 am »
We have a separate bath and shower cubicle which is the best solution but wet rooms and separate shower cubicles are not the OP's question.

Cheap shower screens may be prone to shattering but quality can be had.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that shatterproof acrylic is available.  Our very large separate  cubicle has safety glass sides.

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2016, 11:43:43 am »
Full length sliding screen doors. Or as above, remove the bath if you never use it, and aren't anticipating selling any time soon, and fit a decent sized shower cubicle, or make a walk in wet area shower. To be honest I'm not sure removing the curtain will remove that much humidity anyway.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2016, 12:06:19 pm »
Are Wet Rooms one of those things that seem briliant when you're on holiday somewhere hot, but turn out to blow chunks back in Blighty for Unforeseen Reasons?
Where do you keep the spare towels, how to keep them dry? What about the toilet paper?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2016, 12:18:27 pm »
If it abuts tiled walls, invest in a rubber squeegee and squeegee dry the tiles after a shower. That way most of the water goes down the plughole, and doesn't wait for evaporation.

« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2016, 12:22:51 pm »
Shower curtains will stick to your bum

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2016, 01:23:27 pm »
Especially with all that baby oil...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #11 on: 30 December, 2016, 02:50:49 pm »

And I'd be worried if I had a shower curtain, and violins started playing a Psycho stabby sound.....

So shower screen much safer in that aspect! 

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #12 on: 30 December, 2016, 04:17:37 pm »
Screens get in the way badly if you are using a chainsaw in the bathroom. A curtain is definitely cheaper too.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #13 on: 30 December, 2016, 04:20:00 pm »
If its a petrol powered chainsaw that you are using, please make sure that you deploy the extractor fan.
I'd hate to think of anyone on here becoming unwell on account of exhaust fumes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 30 December, 2016, 04:41:20 pm »
There's clearly a market* for an electric chainsaw charged from an electric shaver socket.

*In this thread.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 30 December, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »

And I'd be worried if I had a shower curtain, and violins started playing a Psycho stabby sound.....

So shower screen much safer in that aspect!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VENKON-Extravagant-Curtain-180x180-curtain-x/dp/B00MUUQTCG/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1483120713&sr=8-16
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #16 on: 30 December, 2016, 06:02:41 pm »
If you are adept with the chainsaw, there is no need for that sort of mess, whatsoever.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 30 December, 2016, 06:04:32 pm »
There's clearly a market* for an electric chainsaw charged from an electric shaver socket.

*In this thread.
It's OK, you can get battery-powered IPX6 chainsaws for use in Zone 1.  Fully Part P compliant.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18 on: 30 December, 2016, 06:07:43 pm »
Alternatively, there are stout rubber gloves and wellington boots for the risk takers.

« Reply #19 on: 30 December, 2016, 06:09:02 pm »
We got rid of the old shower curtain and fitted a glass screen instead this year over the bath. Looks much better and is easier to clean. Also reduces seepage of water round the end of the bath that occurred with the curtain. This thing seals the corner at the bottom completely. Need to descale it occasionally though. One problem we had is these things are heavy- ours is mounted on stud partition wall which is a bit scary. Would be ideal if it was a solid wall you were fixing it to.

Would personally never get rid of bath as devalues the house and reduces market to people without kids. Plus we currently have a baby in the house who doesn't want to take showers  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #20 on: 30 December, 2016, 06:12:40 pm »
I think reducing seepage will be high on rogerzilla's list of requirements.

« Reply #21 on: 30 December, 2016, 06:13:19 pm »
We got rid of the old shower curtain and fitted a glass screen instead this year over the bath. Looks much better and is easier to clean. Also reduces seepage of water round the end of the bath that occurred with the curtain. This thing seals the corner at the bottom completely. Need to descale it occasionally though. One problem we had is these things are heavy- ours is mounted on stud partition wall which is a bit scary. Would be ideal if it was a solid wall you were fixing it to.

Would personally never get rid of bath as devalues the house and reduces market to people without kids. Plus we currently have a baby in the house who doesn't want to take showers ;D

See posts above, re: chainsaw  :P  :-*

« Reply #22 on: 31 December, 2016, 09:38:19 am »
Plus we currently have a baby in the house who doesn't want to take showers  ;D

Tell them to grow up.
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 31 December, 2016, 12:53:08 pm »
Where do you keep the spare towels, how to keep them dry? What about the toilet paper?
We don't keep spare towels in the bathroom, and I've never stayed in hotels without toilet paper! But those are the kind of issues I was thinking of.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 31 December, 2016, 01:01:18 pm »
I managed with a shower curtain for 11 years in Pingu Towers Mk I but mainly because a) I didn't know any better, b) I made sure to only use the thick plastic shower curtains that hang properly,  stay put and don't try to stick to your arse.
Pingu Towers Mk II has a double length shower cubicle and no bath. I think if I were to have a bath with a screen now it would have to be able to cover the whole length. Showering at my brothers (which has a half length screen) I find a bit splashy.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.