Author Topic: Wicked slingshot  (Read 9554 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Wicked slingshot
« on: 06 January, 2010, 12:32:38 pm »
I have a narrowboat and one of the drawbacks is occasional stonethrowing in scroteville.  My defensive reserve now includes a Black Widow catapult which is simply amazing - armbrace etc gives it great accuracy. I have opted not to use the ball bearing ammo on the basis that it might get me into trouble but have aquired paintballs - excellent!
Woe betide anyone that tangles with Tiger on the towpath...splat!
I think it actually illegal but the idea is fun.
In reality one just takes pictures of the scrotes as one approaches bridges and locks.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Re: Wicked slingshot
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:35:18 pm »
A new Figurehead is much better.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2010, 01:18:37 pm »
I'm considering investing in similar sort of kit - but not for nurks on the towpath.  We've got a fox problem and as Ealing's newest poulterers, something needs to be done.  Andy Gates helpfully suggested that where Mr Fox is concerned, I should be looking for ways to "give them back their fear of humans".

I'm in possession of a variety of offensive weapons, but none of the ranged ones are suitable for the task of nonlethally discouraging Vulpes vulpes from visiting our feathered ladies.

My first thought was to make some LARP style blunts for my compound bow.  That might work, but what I gain in accuracy and power, I loose in convenience and speed.  Not using a release aid is likely to result in the loss of one or more digits and anyway, using it at night gives me the terrible feeling that there's the potential for it all to go horribly wrong.

Air rifles are out, so I thought about a blowgun of some kind.  This might be a goer, were it not for what I discovered about the 1988 Criminal Justice Act.  Yeah, that's right - technically even peashooters are illegal in modern Britain, FFS.  It's why you never see blowguns for sale any more.

So it's got to be a paintball gun, hasn't it?  But I don't want to splatter the garden shed with half a pint of Dulux every time I unload on our local canine menace, so I was stumped again.

Until I found out that you can buy clear paintballs.  Hard little packets of washable Gelatin spooge.

If the fox-repellent gunk doesn't work, come next payday, I may be making a little distress purchase...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2010, 01:58:07 pm »
LARP blunts are cruelly hilarious on wildliff, but for the love of Roald Dahl don't use 'em with that bow.  A twenty-pounder is about right for shooting humans, so a fibreglass training bow is spot on. 

With a small garden, maybe a nice little LARP-grade crossbow and bolts?   :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2010, 02:00:17 pm »
I've never used anything other than carbon arrows with it.  One would imagine that splintered composite does not make for a clean wound...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2010, 02:51:01 pm »
Until I found out that you can buy clear paintballs.  Hard little packets of washable Gelatin spooge.

Would you like some donations of washable spooge?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2010, 02:52:53 pm »
Doesn't contain gelatine, does it?  Cause that would be non-animal friendly.  Please reassure us that no dumb animals were hurt in the production of your spooge, Z.  Perhaps photos of your production facility...? :demon:
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2010, 03:21:52 pm »
Bukkake fox  :hand:

Actually, that would be a WICKED name for a band.  "And now here are Bukkake Fox with their latest single, 'Grumble Under The Hedge'".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2010, 03:32:08 pm »
Charlotte, do you possess a SuperSoaker or some other pump action water gun? Could you try this on Reynard?
These might be a tad tame but they are cheap, legal, cheap to run and fun.
They are much better than the silly water pistols of my youth.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2010, 04:05:45 pm »
Critters very quickly learn to flee the "pokka pokka pokka" sound of you pumping up the pressure reservoir.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2010, 04:16:28 pm »
Recipe for LARP arrows:

Arrow shafts with BLUNT pilings.  That's flat ends to you oiks.  POC is preferred.
Soft foam - upholstery foam is good.
Firm foam - Plastazote, etc, the rigid gun-case stuff.
Scrap denim.
Mighty glue - Evo-stik etc.
A 2" cutter - use a can opener to take the bottom off an old deodorant can, for example.

2" is a good diameter because it's bigger than your eye socket. 

The striking face is about 50mm of soft foam.  For crossbow bolts, 25mm is okay.

Then you have one layer of hard foam.

Then you have a layer of denim.  This is to prevent the arrow shaft punching through.  It is essential!

Then you have a couple more layers of hard foam with a 6mm hole to accomodate the arrow shaft.

And finally taper the structure back with either a fancypants cone, or a stepped set of rings, or some neato vanes, between 45 and 30 degrees, so the whole thing is solid.

You may finish it with latex, but not on the striking face -- if the head is sealed airtight, it loses some squoosh and that's bad.  Waterproofing isn't so important, just quiver them in a bag head-down.

Glue to the arrow shaft with your preferred adhesive. 

When fletching, use big, high-drag flights - whole feathers cut 3-4" x 1" or so.  You've got to establish stability fast or the tail flobbles around and long-range (50m) accuracy is wretched.  Plus, big flights are cinematic.  :)

We used to shoot these point-blank into each other's faces from time to time.  Not deliberately, of course...  O:-)

« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2010, 04:28:11 pm »
you guys are scaring me.

I would never ever ever shoot an arrow with a metal pile towards anything I didn't want to hurt, even if I'd glued other stuff on the end.

When I hunted with a bow and arrow, I only ever used 'blunts'. They are metal points with an absolutely flat end.

I killed birds, rabbits, even fox-sized animals with these. A hit in the body cavity would sometimes eviscerate the animal.

Please just don't do it. rubber points with extra stuff on them maybe, but not metal.

If you are going to shoot arrows in an urban environment, get hold of some flu-flu fletches.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2010, 04:35:15 pm »
you can buy clear paintballs.  Hard little packets of washable Gelatin spooge.

An alternative to clear paintballs might be Reballs or their homemade equivalent.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2010, 05:20:12 pm »
Paintball for the foxes.  One of these for the rats you'll probably get.  ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #14 on: 06 January, 2010, 05:42:28 pm »
So it's got to be a paintball gun, hasn't it?  But I don't want to splatter the garden shed with half a pint of Dulux every time I unload on our local canine menace, so I was stumped again

Go on, you know you want to........  :demon:

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 06 January, 2010, 05:45:53 pm »
you guys are scaring me.

+1

I was hoping most of it wasn't serious.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #16 on: 06 January, 2010, 05:50:55 pm »
Can't you just kill it?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 06 January, 2010, 05:51:40 pm »
So it's got to be a paintball gun, hasn't it?  But I don't want to splatter the garden shed with half a pint of Dulux every time I unload on our local canine menace, so I was stumped again

Go on, you know you want to........  :demon:

You have no idea how much I want one of those  :D

« Reply #18 on: 06 January, 2010, 05:55:12 pm »
With one of these duct taped to it in true Ripley style.. ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6yFUtJhUb7Q&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6yFUtJhUb7Q&rel=1</a>
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #19 on: 06 January, 2010, 06:20:05 pm »
Paintball markers make a very recognisably 'gun-like' sound when they are discharged, I'm not sure that I'd be happy doing that around the neighbours :o
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 06 January, 2010, 06:46:43 pm »
I would never ever ever shoot an arrow with a metal pile towards anything I didn't want to hurt, even if I'd glued other stuff on the end.

Flat blunt end.

You misinterpret.

Anything else would be utterly freaking retarded.  I hope this doesn't mean you think I'm utterly freaking retarded?

border-rider

« Reply #21 on: 06 January, 2010, 06:50:50 pm »
Flat blunt end.

even so.

Sure that's entirely legal ?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #22 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:01:53 pm »
So long as you don't inhale. :thumbsup:

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #23 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »
On Boxing Day, I saw a Golden Eagle that's used to despatch foxes.

IMO, this beats all other methods hands down. Forget blunt arrows and paintballs: get a gurt big bird of prey.

« Reply #24 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:50:32 pm »
andy, you misunderstand me.

I have shot a lot of animals with a flat blunt ended arrow. The animals ended up dead, sometimes in bits.

I know you are advocating fastening other bits on the end; I'm concerned that it could break through, hit something hard and be knocked off, etc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>