Author Topic: Solar Electricity  (Read 7816 times)

Re: Solar Electricity
« Reply #50 on: 05 May, 2010, 07:45:53 pm »
I'm getting my PV installed next week.

He said excitedly ;D

« Reply #51 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:10:49 pm »
All live at lunchtime today. 3.5kWp array facing roughly WSW. My electricity meter was running backwards for much of the afternoon* and I enjoyed my first zero carbon cuppa using my own electricity. Even with the sub-optimal facing array late on a May afternoon I was still generating faster than the kettle was using the power.

*this isn't supposed to happen and the meter will be changed shortly.

Will try and get some photo's uploaded in due course.

« Reply #52 on: 14 May, 2010, 11:13:18 am »
For the energy geeks among you. SWEA are putting their output figures on the web for their array.

http://www.swea.co.uk/photovoltaics.shtml

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 06 September, 2010, 01:42:13 pm »
I've got a calculation question!

We have a roof that is on a 2nd story room, 3m tall, 3.80 across, 47 degrees pitch, facing 163 degrees (nearly south-ish)

Would that be worth investigating for panels, or is it too small?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #54 on: 06 September, 2010, 02:48:19 pm »
Solar electric or hot water?

I reckon you could get about 0.5kW out of an array on your roof.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #55 on: 06 September, 2010, 02:57:50 pm »
Water would be quite a bit harder to install than PV, I think, as the plumbing stuff is the other side of the house.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #56 on: 06 September, 2010, 03:06:23 pm »
Water would need two insulated pipes and probably a new cylinder.

PV would need controllers - preferably near the panels - or very very big cables running to controllers.

Either way, there is installation work to do inside the house.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #57 on: 06 September, 2010, 07:54:36 pm »
I havent really looked into it but I'd be concerned that the offer by companies such as Solar to install panels on your house in return for profitshare on the electricity over 25 years whatever is that you are effectively giving these chaps a 'charge' over your house. Could get complicated in future...

« Reply #58 on: 08 June, 2015, 09:00:12 pm »
The GruB household came with a combi-boiler - oil fed.  It was a Grant system but was horrendously smelly and noisy and was only good for keeping the room it was in so hot that my cycling clothing dried in quick time for the next commute.

In August 2014 just after filling up with £1000 worth of oil the green plastic tank split - 15 years of faithful service and only guaranteed for 10.  £2400 to replace made me consider the alternatives.

We are now the proud owners of a double hot water tank in the traditional airing cupboard and an Air Source Heat Pump outside close to the house at the end of the drive.

No more oil.  No more combi-boiler - we are all electric now.

June 17th and 18th the photovoltaic panels arrive.  Nothing is cheap but I will have a warm fuzzy feeling that has nothing to do with electricity as it will be a green system - well as green as one can be.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #59 on: 08 June, 2015, 10:22:49 pm »
That's very impressive, Grub. I ought to have done something about our place before now regarding solar panels. I keep holding off because the only reason we are not selling up is because I look after a 96-year-old aunt who lives nearby and when she shuffles off this mortal coil we will sell up and move. You can't take PV panels with you.

How well does the air-source heat pump work? We have one in our car and it's pretty good for most wintry weather, unless it is really cold, then it struggles.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #60 on: 08 June, 2015, 10:43:19 pm »
So far, since mid September 2014 - really really well.  It is a different type of heat.  Many of the radiators had to be increased from single to double cells as the temperature of the water is 35 degrees compared to the 75 when we had the combi boiler.  As it is a pressurised system we now enjoy stronger water pressure, especially in the shower.

I bought a Loop Energy system from Amazon and that is monitoring my use by the second.  It shows when I am using peak amounts and I can set budgets and goals.  All very geeky.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 08 June, 2015, 11:38:29 pm »
You can heat a house with radiators at 35C?  Must be a pretty well insulated house...

« Reply #62 on: 09 June, 2015, 06:04:26 am »
Kim, yep. It has to be to qualify for the Green Deal. Loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and double glazing are what makes the difference. The plumber whom installed the air source heat pump couldn't believe how well insulated it was.