Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576205 times)

LindaG

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1325 on: 23 January, 2012, 08:24:15 am »
I also would like some sleep.  My head has been in such agony this past week or so that I finally succumbed to popping around 20 Dihydrocodeine 30's through the night follwed by, I think, 12 Tramadol 50's through the Sunday up to about 11pm. I have to be at a very important appointment with a psychiatric consultant tomorrow morning that means I'll have to be up for 7am.  Every time I lie down the pain makes me feel like I am floating round the room and ready to blow chunks with the Seasick feelings. All I want is a "Day off from all this" and remember the motivation, opportunism, love for adventure and self confidence I used to have back in the days where a months nett income 25 years ago was a LOT more than I now get in a year and the fact that I actually enjoyed the competitive and satisfying nature of my work and lifestyle. I'd like to know what I did to earn so much Bad Karma.

ETA: I'd also like to be the 10 stones lighter that I was back then and up to the early part of this century when I all but doubled my weight to a 40.9 bmi :sick:

Hope you feel a bit better now 'Dog.  Try to remember how much you HAVE achieved.

Have a hug.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1326 on: 23 January, 2012, 08:52:37 am »
Finally we appear to have a day where a) the sun is out and b) the wind isn't so strong that it's stripping the bark off trees etc. ....

... and I have to take the car to work because there's a bunch of stuff I need to pick up which isn't really conducive to portage by bike. *And* I've got to go to the dentist in about half an hour.

Arse!

LindaG

« Reply #1327 on: 23 January, 2012, 08:54:24 am »
Finally we appear to have a day where a) the sun is out and b) the wind isn't so strong that it's stripping the bark off trees etc. ....

... and I have to take the car to work because there's a bunch of stuff I need to pick up which isn't really conducive to portage by bike. *And* I've got to go to the dentist in about half an hour.

Arse!

Drink!  Nuns!  Girls!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1328 on: 23 January, 2012, 11:05:42 am »

Arse!

Drink!  Nuns!  Girls!
And, since the trip to the dentist revealed another filling which needs to be replaced I'll see your "Drink! Nuns! Girls!" and raise you a "Feck!" (granted, the filling won't be as wallet-pummelingly expensive as the crown I have to get done, but even so ...)

Obviously, I can't Hackett .... (IGMC)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1329 on: 23 January, 2012, 11:55:46 am »
Hope you feel a bit better now 'Dog.  Try to remember how much you HAVE achieved.
Have a hug.

Thanks :-) Managed to get to the appointment on time and was in there for near to Two Hours!
More Guess work and trial and error on Yet MORE DRUGS!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1330 on: 23 January, 2012, 12:24:44 pm »
I'm sure the twelve of them that Didn't get nailed up felt lucky. The thirteenth bloke wasn't so lucky.

I suppose if you accept that there were definitely 12 apostles, it's no big leap to imagining that bad things are more likely to happen when a particular day of the month falls on a particular day of the week.

More importantly, good luck with the medication. My wife has been suffering with persistent headaches for some time and has been going through all sorts of emotional ups and downs while the doctor tries to find a) the right medication for her, and b) the right dose. It seems to be under control now - hope the same happens for you soon.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1331 on: 23 January, 2012, 02:16:18 pm »
Oy Amazon, I thought that I'd try having something delivered to one of your lockers, so that irrespective of when it was delivered, it would be delivered and I could go and pick it up shortly thereafter.

Well, you sent me the email 48 hours ago to say that it was delivered to the locker, but you haven't yet sent me the email (which the other one refers to) giving me the magic number to open the locker.

That's no much 'kin use now is it?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1332 on: 23 January, 2012, 02:42:03 pm »
Grumble # 1:my knee aches & I've only ridden a kilometre or so.
Grumble # 2: the doc says I've got to surrender a little bit of my body to the surgeons knife
Grumble # 3: whilst fettling I fell over in the garage & twisted my ankle = pain

It's one of those days where everything you touch seems to go wrong.I dare not go for a piss ::-)

LindaG

« Reply #1333 on: 25 January, 2012, 09:40:36 am »
Oh, dear.  I seem to have mislaid my dongle.  Anyone seen it?  Last seen in the Travelodge, Leatherhead.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1334 on: 25 January, 2012, 10:35:37 am »
Look, you dopey bints, if you want to stand around gobbing away like a pair of gobby twats, that's fine by me.  But there are two places where you should be to do this, viz.

• In the lift, or
  • not in the lift

Having one of you in the lift using the "doors open" button to prevent it from, well, lifting, and one of you not in the lift, when I want to use the lift to go to the fifth floor is the act of a twunt.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1335 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:06:18 am »
Bloody Loyal Fail.

Our Favourite Postal Service has an online stamp-selling system, 'Dumb Stamp'.   However, these are useless for SAEs, since they need to be posted within 3 days or so.   Thus requiring me to go into town to obtain ye olde stick-on stamps.

And then I discover I don't need to send the SAEs anyway.  Book of stamps, anyone?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #1336 on: 25 January, 2012, 02:51:12 pm »
Congestion and low energy over the weekend have finally transformed into a full-on cough.  The two hour meeting this morning may not have helped.

My <unprintable> lungs have form for gunking up for a month or so at a time, so really hoping this one doesn't settle in for the duration.  This winter had been going fairly well up until now....
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #1337 on: 25 January, 2012, 10:40:01 pm »
Should be a rant, but I'm too tired...

My boss was telling me today about how the council are snowed under with problems with their recycling service (IE, the large area of the city we don't cover).  Also, about their current working practice.

Apparently, the binmen are on 'task and finish' - do the job, then go home. This of course means that the faster they work, the sooner they go home.  Which leads to boxes being missed.

Bad enough. But then, apparently, if they have to go out again to collect missed boxes... they get overtime! :o  So, do a crap job, and then get paid more to correct it.

(we're paid to work the whole day. If we finish the collections early, we find other work to do at the centre. If we over run at busy times, we get time off in lieu...)

The council practice will be changing, apparently. I expect that'll piss a few binmen off...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1338 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:24:21 pm »
I just couldn't work out why, a couple of weeks ago, they came and got all the glass.  And then came back a few hours later for the rest.

And no, they don't do as good a job as your lot used to!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1339 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:26:55 pm »
The BloodyStudents next door seem to be having a party.  They have much worse taste in music than the last lot.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1340 on: 26 January, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »
No food in Tescos.  Can't be arsed to go further afield.  Gah.

« Reply #1341 on: 26 January, 2012, 06:15:48 pm »
I just couldn't work out why, a couple of weeks ago, they came and got all the glass.  And then came back a few hours later for the rest.

And no, they don't do as good a job as your lot used to!

I suppose it's possible that their glass hopper was the only one with space in on the van, although I'd say it was unlikely - glass takes up a lot of volume compared to paper and so on. Only plastic is more voluminous. And round your way, there's more glass than paper generally, if I remember rightly.

Meanwhile, a small grumble of my own:

Colleague. You knew that when we got back to base, I was going to take another reading off the batteries (for MFWHTBAB's information, to see if anything can be done with Beryl beyond pushing her off a cliff). You know that this requires the sides to be dropped and the base board lifted off. Not a big job, but the only way to access the batteries. So when you handed me the bag of odds and ends from the cab as I headed in to collect the meter and the bit of paper, I assumed you were going to drop the sides and lift the base board for me.

No, that would assume that you aren't a lazy bloody sod. Since you simply followed me into the building, you could have carried that sodding bag yourself! 

Perhaps it was revenge because I found us a small routine job to do in the spare time before lunch, when you perhaps preferred to just drink tea and send texts.

I don't mind being the sort of muggins who makes an effort, and I know it doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated, but it would be nice to think I was being appreciated to the tune of a few more pence an hour than him...

« Reply #1342 on: 26 January, 2012, 09:03:50 pm »
What was it today with complete nutters on the road???

Dear dozy git in the silver Corsa: if you must do a hedge inspection, please not to stop in the middle of a narrow, windy country lane right on a blind bend without even putting your hazards on, k??

Complete fucknugget in an HGV: you indicated to turn left into the road I was coming out of, but my spidey-senses were tingling, so I waited.  You slowed to turn left into the road I was coming out of, but I still didn't trust it and waited.  You started turning, so I finally figured you actually were going to turn and started coming out, which is when you decided that oh no, this wasn't the turn you wanted after all, spun the wheel and floored it.  Lucky I was still on spidey-alert and was able to stop the car, slam it in reverse and get out of your way in about .5 seconds, innit??

Several complete tits through the town centre: you don't need to park on double yellow lines to just pop into M&S for your important shop.  You could actually park in the very nice parking lot ACROSS THE FUCKING ROAD-which is free after 6pm as well!  (oh, sorry, that was almost a rant, wasn't it?)

Several others, it's a shame you got the budget model of the car you were driving-the one without indicators, that is!

And fat bloke on a black Giant (which was funny cos it was too small for you) in black lycra: coming out of a driveway onto a main road in the dark with no streetlights and no lights on your bike without actually checking for current traffic is a really good way of getting yourself killed!  I very nearly needed clean undercrackers after that little stunt!!   :o

« Reply #1343 on: 27 January, 2012, 09:44:34 am »
slough can be fun can't it  :facepalm:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1344 on: 28 January, 2012, 12:27:53 pm »
Lovefilm: You have a crap rental list system. When I put the Stieg Larsson trilogy of films on my list all at the same priority, surely to dog there must be something in your system to send film one in the trilogy before films two & three. No? Well, there should be. So, I now have a weekend to watch them, but can't!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1345 on: 28 January, 2012, 12:33:00 pm »
Bahfuckit. My old scanner won't work with Windows 7. Unless I can find a driver (& the firm the supplier outsourced all support of old kit to doesn't sell one, & announced that it would no longer respond to any queries about the scanner last year), it's stuffed, & I'll have to buy a new one. Buggrit!

It's only 12 years old.  :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1346 on: 28 January, 2012, 02:02:58 pm »
I still seem to have this lung-lurgy after 2 weeks (it started while on cycle ride).  Would like breakfast not to be a hackwheezefest.  >:(

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1347 on: 28 January, 2012, 06:22:18 pm »
I've just been to feed downstairs' cat and I fell down the stairs cos it's all slippery out there. Ow.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1348 on: 30 January, 2012, 01:06:24 pm »
Sigh…I know it’s my own stupid fault for not remembering that the office fridge is cleared every Friday (to avoid long-forgotten stuff festering), but really, I had hoped that if the stuff I left in there was unopened and with an expiry date in the distant future, common sense might have prevailed…chucking perfectly good food in the bin just seems really wrong.

« Reply #1349 on: 30 January, 2012, 03:20:26 pm »
Sigh…I know it’s my own stupid fault for not remembering that the office fridge is cleared every Friday (to avoid long-forgotten stuff festering), but really, I had hoped that if the stuff I left in there was unopened and with an expiry date in the distant future, common sense might have prevailed…chucking perfectly good food in the bin just seems really wrong.

We also have fridge Friday. However food is rarely wasted - most of it ends up inside one of my colleagues, who is renowned for his gastric sturdiness. He only refuses houmous if it's actually fizzy....

Actually, since he changed his working pattern and days off, it's more likely to be a Monday now.