Author Topic: Tim Wainwright  (Read 8552 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Re: Tim Wainwright
« Reply #25 on: 06 March, 2017, 04:23:13 pm »
Did not know him personally .. only thru his photos .. which were superb. Sad news
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

rob

« Reply #26 on: 06 March, 2017, 04:47:26 pm »
If anyone sees any funeral/memorial details could they please either post here or PM me.   They didn't live too far from me and it would be good to attend.

Thanks

Rob

« Reply #27 on: 06 March, 2017, 05:05:23 pm »
Sorry to hear this. Tim was a fixture on events when I began riding. A good guy who did a lot for AUK without fuss.

red marley

« Reply #28 on: 06 March, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »
One of my abiding memories of Tim was his cheery roadside greetings whenever he was on camera duty. The first time it took me by surprise in that he knew my name and that I rode fixed (I guess part of that comes from poring over hundreds of photos of identikit Audaxers trying to find names to put on the Arrivee captions). I remember the gentlest of ribbing he gave me for riding gears on the Mille Cymru (just by Bwlch y Groes!). It is touching to hear that his encouraging roadside manner was also what others remember him for. It is the mark of a true gent that he can make everyone feel special deserving his personal support.

« Reply #29 on: 06 March, 2017, 05:54:09 pm »
Lost for words..... I was only chatting to Tim a few weeks ago and treated him to a Coffee before he set off to be the happy snapper on Hills and Mills. Tim was always great company with the many miles spent awheel, always cheerful be it around Wessex, Wales or anywhere in the UK.

I was only rolling along some of the Battle and back route around Wadhurst on Sunday trying to get lost and recognised some of the route we used many moons ago which were actually Tim's roads.

My thoughts are with Pauline and family, R.I.P. Tim a true pleasure to have know you..
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Martin

« Reply #30 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:54:53 pm »
from the AUK forum;

Quote from: Francis Cooke on March 05, 2017, 03:45:47 PM
Tim was a co-editor of Arrivee magazine since 1996, and was largely responsible for raising the production values to where they are now.  He was in the process of producing the next edition, which will probably now be a rather slim affair when it does come out.

hopefully not; there have been many messages from riders who knew of Tim's enthusiasm and kindness, can these all be collated into the next edition? how can we make this happen?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #31 on: 06 March, 2017, 10:16:41 pm »
I last met Tim at the Olympic Road Race, we'd both picked out the same spot on the circuit, and a very good person to spend a couple of hours chatting to before the riders made their first appearance.  He's always been happy to help with articles for Arrivee.  A great loss.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #32 on: 06 March, 2017, 10:28:00 pm »
hopefully not; there have been many messages from riders who knew of Tim's enthusiasm and kindness, can these all be collated into the next edition? how can we make this happen?

Discussions are in progress regarding the next issue of Arrivée but as far as I know, no firm decisions have been made. I'm a bit preoccupied with the day job this week, tbh.

Any contributions should be submitted through the usual channels and would be welcome - they won't go to waste.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #33 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:42:47 am »
You can send stuff to Sheila (contact details in the front of Arrivee) and she will either use it or forward it to the right place.  A good photo of Tim on his bike would be especially welcome.  If anyone wants to see an assembly of tributes collated from the web, that would be very welcome too, but only as an assembled package - Sheila's not one for trawling the web herself, and is also busy with other stuff.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #34 on: 10 March, 2017, 07:59:51 am »
Very sad news. RIP Tim.
#makewattsnotwar

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #35 on: 12 March, 2017, 12:48:28 pm »
I really had a lot of time for Tim and will miss him as a friend. We shared a love of photography and his images have provided most active Audaxers with superb images both in Arrivee pages and from personal sales. We agreed that PBP was a matter of maintaining pace and he opted out when he knew he could not complete in time. So he took the car to France and recorded PBP for the rest of us. One memorable image is from 2007, where my Trike wheels extend to the side of a pic of Martin Malins (Arrivee 98 Autumn 2007 p34); we were approaching arrivee and I was slip-streaming (M quite unaware?) and had not noticed Tim’s camera!

I was thinking for PBP19, with 2 very close finishes (11, 15) and now on the wrong side of 70, I might be reduced to follower and had thoughts of doing it Tim’s way.

Perhaps.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #36 on: 12 March, 2017, 12:54:59 pm »
You might as well do the qualifiers 3peaker, that way you can get the shirt.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #37 on: 18 March, 2017, 08:02:22 am »
The funeral is on the 4th, 11:15, but I can't see a location?

H

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #38 on: 18 March, 2017, 08:31:29 am »
Tim's funeral will take place at 11:15 on 4th April 2017 in the East Chapel, Croydon Crematorium.
no flowers but donations welcome to the British Heart Foundation.

You are all warmly invited to refreshments at St Johns church hall,, Upper Selsdon Road, South Croydon, CR2 8DD.

Could you please PM me if you intend to come as Pauline will need an idea of the numbers for refreshments at the gathering after the funeral.

Thanks,

Mark Brooking

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #39 on: 18 March, 2017, 11:08:39 am »
Cheers Mark.

H

Martin

« Reply #40 on: 18 March, 2017, 05:20:53 pm »
I'm collating all the kind messages that have been posted here and on the AUK forum; and will send them (with your real names if I know them) for inclusion in the next Arrivee, please keep 'em coming!

« Reply #41 on: 19 March, 2017, 07:12:11 pm »
I don't check the YACF forums too often these days so I've only just heard of Tim's untimely passing.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Another member of the AUK family departs for the great randonnée in the sky. Bonne route.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #42 on: 19 March, 2017, 10:58:09 pm »
An abiding memory is of Tim at the side of the road on my first PBP - encouraging me up a hill with camera clicking. RIP and condolences to his family.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #43 on: 19 March, 2017, 11:48:26 pm »
Heres a picture of me fixing Streatley Hill in 2011 on The Beast From The East, by Tim.

I can still hear Tim saying, "Com'on Paul!".... just before I clipped a pebble, stalled, and toppled sideways... a day to remember.

jaybea_auk

• Hasbeen
« Reply #44 on: 13 May, 2017, 01:39:14 pm »
I am a bit late to this, as I have only just read about Tim's death in Arrivee. I rode with Tim any times over the years, both on AUK events and with the South Croydon CTC (the hardriders section is where I got my taste and fitness for Audax events). It is a long time since I last saw him (which might have been on an Elenith), but it was always great to see him again, and I was expecting him to be  one of those cyclists who goes on forever.

It was also saddened to read of the death of Roland Masset in the same issue, someone else I also rode with regularly, and a true gentlemen.

Farewell, both.

Julian

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #45 on: 08 July, 2017, 01:15:19 am »
Ray Kelly has announced a commemorative ride in Surrey on 16 July.
http://www.willesdencyclingclub.co.uk/a-ride-to-remember-tim-sunday-16th-july/