Author Topic: Union Negotiation  (Read 3129 times)

Union Negotiation
« on: 17 March, 2017, 10:06:16 am »
All,

I'm about to head into what will undoubtedly be a long, slow and painful negotiation with a trade union over pay rates.

Can anybody recommend any resources that I could use to get a decent sleep through it, good head start on negotiation techniques etc ? I won't be the lead negotiator, but would like something that I could work through beforehand to feel a bit better prepared.

I'm currently reading "Getting to Yes" and have signed up on a course ran by Yale via Coursera on 'Principled Negotiation', but I'm concerned that they both seem a bit academic and I'm not sure how useful it'll be in this circumstance.

Does anybody have any experience applying these techniques ?

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Union Negotiation
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2017, 11:17:50 am »
Getting to Yes is a basic text for conflict resolution, but I found it rather trite.

My first advice is don't go into the negotiation thinking it will be 'undoubtedly a long, slow and painful negotiation'.  Plan for success.

Most TU representatives are pragmatic, and will be prepared to compromise, if the management side are too.  Check the ground and the parameters from the start, and ensure you don't get sidetracked onto minor issues, which could just be agreed, but end up blown out of all proportion (I can't tell you the number of times I've seen this happen in negotiations!).

I hope there is a satisfactory outcome for all parties.
Getting there...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2017, 12:13:09 pm »
In training I had in negotiating skills, some years ago, the key was to find out what the other side really wanted, and what you could afford to give up at least cost. If you can balance what they want from you at an affordable cost to you, then you can make progress.

« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2017, 12:32:04 pm »
Are you with the Union or

?

andytheflyer has cut to the chase, but if you want a book about aggressive negotiation for an end result, you could do worse than go for The Art of the Deal (I refuse to link to it). A lot of what we have seen is reflected from the techniques described there, for example making initial demands entirely over the top.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2017, 12:39:52 pm »
As a union rep, I would say give them what they want.

HTH.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2017, 02:09:44 pm »
Thanks everyone. All good advice.

For the record I'll be sat on the other side of the table to the unions and my feeling that it's going to be long and slow is because the first shots have already been fired and the initial demand was for over double what other unions on the same site have already accepted, plus a lot of ancillary stuff.

If they'd come in asking for the same deal, it would have been closed in under 10 minutes.

The deal with the other union was in turn about double the national average private sector pay rise and the salary scales onsite are already at the top end of national averages.

I've been looking for a s/h copy of the Art of Deal as I refuse to buy a new copy or download it as I don't want it contributing to his sales figures. I might buy one on Amazon. I was also looking at "Never Split The Difference : Negotiating as though your life depended upon it", but the reviews are mixed. I see there's an audio download version which I might buy and listen to in my car.

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2017, 04:01:09 pm »

HTH.

As a former union rep I concur.

Will the management be taking the same deal as the workers or will they be rewarded more generously?

« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2017, 05:11:19 pm »

HTH.

Will the management be taking the same deal as the workers or will they be rewarded more generously?

Seeing as how you mention it.

Funnily enough 'the management' have taken a deal that's marginally WORSE than the other union agreement, so is considerably worse than the conditions that the second union is demanding.

« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2017, 05:15:42 pm »

HTH.

Funnily enough 'the management' have taken a deal that's marginally WORSE than the other union agreement, so is considerably worse than the conditions that the second union is demanding.

You need to get some representation;)

« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2017, 05:37:22 pm »

HTH.

You need to get some representation;)

Think I'll ask Polar Bear and Eccentrica Gallumbits to represent me next time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2017, 05:56:49 pm »

HTH.
That's what I meant to say. ;)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 17 March, 2017, 05:57:55 pm »
More seriously, if you go into the negotiation hardnosed big bollocks, you will lose, whatever the stupid management books say.

Clarion BA Hons 1st Class Peace Studies (Conflict Resolution) (and many years of negotiations from both sides of the table in HR disputes, as well as both commissioner and provider sides of the table in service provision).
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 17 March, 2017, 07:23:23 pm »
I would say sit down with an open mind and listen to the reps, don't pre -judge any one thing or any person.What will have got under the collars of the reps and who they represent if you have made "changes" to T&C without consultation. Nothing upsets like actions behind the backs of those folk doing the job.Sorry if that sounds too heavy.Any changes are always better if done with partnership.

« Reply #13 on: 17 March, 2017, 09:54:01 pm »
I would say sit down with an open mind and listen to the reps, don't pre -judge any one thing or any person.What will have got under the collars of the reps and who they represent if you have made "changes" to T&C without consultation. Nothing upsets like actions behind the backs of those folk doing the job.Sorry if that sounds too heavy.Any changes are always better if done with partnership.

My intention is to go in with an open mind. The only thing that I'm prejudging is that it will be a long process, based on their initial demand. No T&C's are being changed, certainly nothing is happening behind anybody's back. I was just trying to see if anybody could provide some guidance on resources to make it a smoother, more efficient ride with a better solution for both parties.

« Reply #14 on: 17 March, 2017, 10:49:25 pm »
I've been through several negotiations with various unions, including through ACAS. It really all depends. If the union is doing its job properly and trying to look after the interests of its members without any secondary agenda and management recognise the function and value of the union to the company, you might expect matters to run smoothly.

However, given that other unions have settled and (apparently?) the terms are reasonable, it sounds as if there may be a secondary agenda, somewhere. This could take the form of an individual looking to make a name for themselves, wider union issues that this plays into, external agitators becoming involved, something else entirely. I would be on the lookout for that, as it may not be obvious. Oh, and it could even be on the management side.

« Reply #15 on: 13 April, 2017, 10:24:23 pm »
Just coming back to this as an update.

It actually went well and much faster than I expected. There was an agreement with the union last week and it's being voted on this week. I'm not sure how to describe the style that was used, but it was long way from hardnosed big bollocks, but probably an equally long way from group problem solving aka Getting to Yes. BTW I also read 'Never Split The Difference' in the meantime.

BTW Clarion, when were you in Bradford ? Was there myself an awful long time ago (but not the same course).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2017, 02:34:26 pm »
1992-95.  When were you, and what did you study?

Glad your negotiation went well.
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:47:09 pm »
I did Physics from 1982 to 1986.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:49:11 am »
Ah.  We missed each other by a mile. ;D

Getting there...