Author Topic: Luggage setups  (Read 6208 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Luggage setups
« Reply #25 on: 25 May, 2017, 01:56:19 pm »
The best way to carry tent poles is in Radical banana bags.
Those would be the red ones. I don't think they're imported. Funny, we're happy with red onions; are bananas that much more radical?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26 on: 25 May, 2017, 10:12:38 pm »

I wouldn't call myself a great expert. I tend to cycle to Scout camps, which hardly makes me a long-distance tourist.

However, I can get a 2- or 3-person tent, a sleeping bag, a sleeping mat and sundry related items (pillow, sheet bag, etc.) in one pannier. Clothes in the other. Bike-related stuff in the rack pack, which tends not to be full. Front bags have stuff I need on Scout camps but wouldn't take otherwise (various spare shoes, paperwork and files, and so on). On the other hand, I don't take a stove because I'm not cooking for myself. I rarely use the bar bag shown, but can if I need the space.

Handling is a bit heavy and slow to respond, but otherwise OK.

Traditional advice is to pack low for stability, so I'd try to keep stuff off the top of the rack. Distributing weight front and back helps stability too, though if you can avoid front panniers and without overloading the rear, that's no bad thing.

« Reply #27 on: 25 May, 2017, 10:21:55 pm »
I have those front panniers.

Done a bit of clearing up and sorting - found an old MSR pan a friend left behind that cleaned up ok, it is a bit big but, I have it is, it is free. That fits in saddlebag with tent and a bit of room for foodstuffs, stove and fuel (tabs) will fit in there also. Sleeping mat, which is featherlight, is on top of front rack. One front pannier for clothes and all other bits. Seems fine for a weekend.

It wouldn't be enough for a long trip. I'd put a rear rack on for a longer trip, put the little panniers on the rear, sleeping bag on the front in a stuffsack maybe. That would get me another 10l for clothes and more food.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #28 on: 23 June, 2017, 05:15:24 pm »
Thanks. Just measured my tent and I don't think it'll squash down to less than 39cm. Also looked at the Carradice site and was surprised to see Nelson is only 6cm wider than a Barley (but considerably deeper).

I'll needlessly link to my review comparing a Barley to a Nelson. It shows pretty well how the sizes compare: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=22961.msg412292#msg412292

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 24 June, 2017, 07:54:12 pm »
Perhaps strictly speaking not necessary but I'd hardly say that link is needless! (Oh, and it's probably time to go jam shopping... )

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 24 June, 2017, 08:52:51 pm »
Still on the subject of saddlebags, I've lately been thinking that if I were to get another (I have a Barley), it would be one without side pockets, such as the College. Better, it seems to me now, to have the full depth usable across the whole width. They also seem to be a little lighter for the same capacity, presumably due to saving on a pair of leather straps and buckles.