Author Topic: Not turning bikes upside down  (Read 11105 times)

Re: Not turning bikes upside down
« Reply #25 on: 13 April, 2017, 09:12:37 am »
I've usually got a toestrap with me which helps with the whole hanging the bike on something

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #26 on: 13 April, 2017, 09:31:31 am »
Keeps the chain hanging right on the rear derailleur and makes it easier to re-fit the back wheel.

« Reply #27 on: 13 April, 2017, 10:42:53 am »
Its not a good idea to have hydraulics upside down in general.

It shouldn't make any difference, unless you have air in the system. In which case the appropriate solution is to get it out.  :thumbsup:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 13 April, 2017, 12:17:29 pm »
But if someone wants to turn it upside down, perhaps because they lack dexterity, can't see what the derailleur is doing because they're wearing the wrong glasses, need a third hand to manage the QR-mount luggage rack, or are inexperienced in handling wheel-less bikes because they hardly ever get punctures, then what's the problem?  If there aren't gadgets or cables to damage, there's no harm in it.

If all sorts of conditions are met, then sure, upside down is not a problem but a solution.

But I think people usually do it for the wrong reasons. One of them may be that they don’t like laying their bicycle on its side for fear of it looking unloved in that fallen posture. By contrast, an upside-down bicycle suggests intent.

I do it upright because it’s easier for me and risks less damage. No other reason. Typically I don’t have an audience to impress with any shibboleths.
This reminds me that some couriers choose to leave their bikes upside down outside the drop/pick up point because locking and unlocking wastes precious time, which for them truly is money, and a bike upside down looks as if it's broken and someone's doing something with it; a bike right way up but unlocked is an invitation to ride off.

But that's got nothing to do with taking wheels out.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 13 April, 2017, 12:27:52 pm »
We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee.
Are you still in Didcot, Matt?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 13 April, 2017, 01:20:27 pm »
We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee.

Ssssh!!!

More-or-less - I work about 5 miles away. I think we have dutch/belgian internet here - oddly it's never given us problems accessing BBC UK sites. Yesterday I was at a supplier site in Hertfordshire - they were on Belgian internet too. Has Brexit had unexpected side-effects already??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #32 on: 13 April, 2017, 01:55:47 pm »

But is Didcot still in the UK?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 13 April, 2017, 04:04:42 pm »
We haven't had our referendum.

Yet ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #34 on: 13 April, 2017, 04:22:36 pm »
... some couriers choose to leave their bikes upside down outside the drop/pick up point ...

.. and wannabe hipsters leaving their langsters upside down outside starbucks on Leith walk.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #35 on: 13 April, 2017, 04:45:27 pm »
We haven't had our referendum.

Yet ...

I think you'll find it's actually the rest of the country voting whether to keep Didcot or not ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #36 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:35:49 pm »
... some couriers choose to leave their bikes upside down outside the drop/pick up point ...

.. and wannabe hipsters leaving their langsters upside down outside starbucks on Leith walk.
is there such a thing a real hipster?  :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:42:45 pm »
I reread the thread to find the benefits of turning the bicycle upside down and came up short.
It's simply easier to put a wheel into a frame than a frame on to a wheel. The Sheldon videos are okay, but I note that the bike is light – he holds it in one hand for quite some time – and moreover, he does nothing with the wheel. Takes it out, leans it against his legs, puts it back in. If you've taken a wheel out you're probably going to do something with it and that's probably going to involve putting the bike down so you can use both hands to remove a tyre etc.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #38 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:58:55 pm »
I turn em upside down in the shop. What I don't do is fasten the skewer until the weight of the bike is on the drop outs. I find SRAM mechs are particular bastards when it comes to refitting rear wheels. And I've been doing them for donkeys years...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #39 on: 14 April, 2017, 05:46:30 am »

is there such a thing a real hipster?  :D
They're the ones who were being hipsters before it was cool. But only ironically. You won't see them in a Starbucks though - only a small boutique cafe that you've probably never heard of. /s

obOnTopic: I usually invert the bike for a rear wheel removal but not for the front. Never had a problem finding either something to lean the bike against or enough space to lie it down. Clearly I need to work on my right-way-up rear wheel replacement skills.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #40 on: 14 April, 2017, 08:22:12 am »
I keep mine the right way up - too much stuff on the bars to be bothered removing it and I don't want to muck up the tape.  I lay it flat or hang it from any handy support with my café lock.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #41 on: 14 April, 2017, 10:08:31 am »
If I ever have to take a wheel out at the roadside, I turn my bike upside down. I'm aware there's a prejudice against this
Really?

« Reply #42 on: 14 April, 2017, 12:23:53 pm »
 I originally picked up on the non-inverting from sheldon, who pointed to saddle damage as a reason.

For my fixed I remove wheels upright and then lie it on it's side while fixing - my bartape is tatty by design.  I can't keep the bike upright without a stand as the longboards are longer than the forks.

For the speedmachine ... I have no idea!  I fixed a puncture on the rear wheel at home and it was an epic battle that raged for days; I have no idea how to make it any easier, even using a stand.  What's the trick with a laidback?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 14 April, 2017, 12:35:39 pm »
For the speedmachine ... I have no idea!  I fixed a puncture on the rear wheel at home and it was an epic battle that raged for days; I have no idea how to make it any easier, even using a stand.  What's the trick with a laidback?

Hang it from the ceiling by ropes if you can do it.  (I can't.)

My usual method for the Streetmachine (which has under-seat steering and risks control damage if laid on its side) is to drop the rear wheel out in a clunky and less well balanced imitation of what the cool kids do, kick the wheel out of the way, and then insert the frame into the mini-workstand that I've got waiting to accept it.  Then withdraw to a safe distance to work on the wheel in the hope that the whole thing won't keel over.  (Front wheel is easier - drop it out, then balance the bike on the fork ends.)  If I'm doing something radical like servicing the fork, it has to go on its side.  I'll take measures to protect the shifters and brake levers.

The Baron is smaller and lighter.  The wheel drops out easily and the bike can be laid on its left side with impunity, much like a DF road bike.  Front wheel likewise.

For the rear of the ICE trike, front brakes on, then drop the wheel out (requires non-trivial arsing about with torque arm and electrickery), then use the mini-workstand or wedge something under the dropout to protect the rear mech.  (For front wheels, lay it on the opposite wheel, then work on the tyre in situ at comfortable standing height.)

« Reply #44 on: 14 April, 2017, 09:34:22 pm »
I still say that drop-outs are called that for a reason...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #45 on: 15 April, 2017, 12:28:46 pm »
I just had to change a rear tube, which gave me the opportunity to contemplate this matter.

Hung the nose of the saddle over the arm of the workstand while the wheel was out. Putting the wheel back in was pretty much a case of dropping the frame onto the wheel. I can't see that turning the bike upside down would have made wheel replacement easier.

Admittedly, I don't usually have a workstand handy to hold the bike off the ground for roadside tube swaps - I would normally lie the bike on its side.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #46 on: 15 April, 2017, 03:28:26 pm »
I can't see that turning the bike upside down would have made wheel replacement easier.
I'm looking at it from the other direction; trying to work out how not turning the bike upside down could make it easier.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #47 on: 15 April, 2017, 04:15:25 pm »
you don't need to remove bits from the bike and it's easier to put the wheel in (unless you use a technique that works better with the bike rubber side up)

« Reply #48 on: 16 April, 2017, 01:27:59 pm »
Bicycle repair man turns it upside down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01xasUtlvw
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #49 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:03:28 am »
I've always turned my bikes upside down. Quite funny on an evening winter club ride a few months back. It was a kin to a comedy sketch, or a joke, you know..." How many ....... Cyclists does it take to mend a puncture " . We'll in this case 5!!!! It was indeed a comedy of errors, and despite my laughter, and pleadings, they refused to turn the bike upside down to make life easier. Anyway, I'll always do it. when I get a visitation, I know its not a quick swap. So wheel the bike to the verge, out with the tool kit, flip it over, on with the glasses, then INSPECT! Quite often the offending item can be spotted, tyre marked, and partially removed, whilst still in the frame, and problem sorted. Then when its all back together, a slow rotation of both front and back wheel to INSPECT for any other likely culprits. Also now with discs, on Olive, I find that if the wheel is removed, then when reinserted, the wheel can be spun as the qr is tightened, this ensuring the brake is not binding.
Yes I know ...what about if its dark....what about if you cant find the cause ...etc etc.I find that turning the bike upside down, renders it helpless, Like a sick animal, awaiting my delicate , undivided attention, as opposed to rushing the job thro, possible bending mud flaps, mudguards,  derailleur etc. . Flipping the bike over sets the scene for an unhurried operation , you wouldn't want to rush it and get it wrong.......BUT you see, this brings us to another question, do you patch, or do you swap?? I always patch unless its raining/ snowing or dark.  ......or both. Flipping the bike back over again I get a sense of satisfaction, of job done, a bit like finally closing the bonnet of your car after an oil change/service.