Author Topic: Cordless hair clipper  (Read 1831 times)

Cordless hair clipper
« on: 14 May, 2017, 07:45:46 am »
Considering getting a cordless clipper as I reckon that this will allow me to keep hair short for summer at a lower price than going to the hairdressers.  Anyone recommend something budget but not crap?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Cordless hair clipper
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2017, 08:52:15 am »
My son's barnet lunched the Babyliss.   We spent a tad more and bought a Remington replacement.   I use it myself when I can be bothered and it is solid and reliable as well as cutting well.

Paid back the purchase price in saving on the barber in less than a year.

« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2017, 08:54:46 am »
I bought one of these from Argos when they were £25.  Now £55, but available here for £25. Very good indeed with a wide set of cutters for a quick cut. Lots of clip-ons to get the right length too.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2017, 08:55:41 am »
Vote for the remington ceramic here, I've been using them for years, first pair only snuffed it when I dropped it onto the clipper end. Looks pretty similar to the Babyliss item. Make sure you get the right depth guards for what you want, too.

ETA a piece of plastic cut to the shape of your head at the back can be used as an effective guide to give a clean rear end ;)

Practice is required.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2017, 09:26:52 am »
Presumably with a straight face, Remington's blurb describes this ^^^ as "cutting-edge technology".

FWIW I've had two Philips' beard trimmers and the batteries in both conked out in a year. Make sure whatever you get uses Li-ion.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2017, 11:39:11 am »
My son's barnet lunched the Babyliss.   We spent a tad more and bought a Remington replacement.   I use it myself when I can be bothered and it is solid and reliable as well as cutting well.

Paid back the purchase price in saving on the barber in less than a year.

Remington HC365 for just £26 from Boots.   Absolute bargain imo.   

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2017, 11:48:23 am »
Why cordless? They never have much power, and the battery will wear out after a year or two.
If you want something that lasts, get some mains-powered Wahl clippers.

« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2017, 11:51:26 am »
^
This.
I bought my mains Wahl clippers in something like 1994, and have been using them once every 3 or 4 weeks ever since.
The only thing I've done to them was I replaced the flex with one which is around 5m in length.

« Reply #9 on: 14 May, 2017, 12:04:27 pm »
I've got a basic Wahl corded clipper, must be at least 15 years old, cost about £10, it still works.

Similar to this one, £15 now:
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3398410

This one is £10, doesn't have the bag which is very handy:
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2271796

£11:
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5556834

You only have to use it 2 or 3 times and it's already paid for itself.

« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2017, 12:56:58 pm »
I moved from a corded Wahl to the Remington I linked to and wouldn't go back. It's very ergonomic and cuts my, admittedly not very hirsute, head of hair much faster.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2017, 01:36:23 pm »
Cordless so that I don't have to faff with long wires or cleanup.  Easiest to cut hair in garden in summer, in winter let it grow.
Camraman, I have gone with your recommendation.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace