Linked Events

• Thames Path Meander, Mk VII: 22 July, 2017

Author Topic: Thames Path Meander, Mk VII - 22 July  (Read 13100 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Thames Path Meander, Mk VII - 22 July
« on: 05 June, 2017, 09:56:09 am »
The details ...

The route is roughly 50-60km, mostly off-road (not of the COR variety), exploring along the Thames.  We start from the Southwark Needle (south end of London Bridge, junction with Duke St Hill) at 10:00, then head east to Woolwich, stopping for a pub lunch along the way.  After a ferry crossing we return to the City, following the north bank, including a tea stop.  Along the route I’ll bore regale you with loads of facts historical and trivial.  Due to a combination of the never-ending development of London and my continued exploring there will be bits never before seen on one of these rides.

The route can be done on skinny tyres.  We've had all sort of bicycles on the ride, but tandems and trikes (of both varieties) may have some difficulties.  If a trike or tandem is your only option then please let me know when you confirm your participation.  There are diversions which can be used, but I'd like to know in advance so I can make suitable arrangements.

I don't want to scare folk away, but it is only fair that I am completely honest about the route.  There will be:
* gates
* bollards
* steps (not full flights)
* kerbs (up and down, not many)
* cobbles (lots)
* uneven paving stones
* busy roads (less than 1km in total)
* NCN paths
* points of interest (many)
* photo opportunities (lots)

You can read about the previous versions of the ride here, here, here, here, and here.

Who's in?

Riders (15)
Andrij (obviously)
Ruthie
road-runner +1
cycleman
Wowbagger
JenM
Sergeant Pluck (+1)
andrewc
Katherine (notp)
orienteer
Flatbar Steve
Tim Hall
Tigerrr
harapeko

?Ham
?Jurek
?Canardly

= = = = =

If you need to hire a bicycle I recommend using On Your Bike as they are closest to the start/finish.  You should book in advance, and PLEASE be there as the shop opens it's doors at 10:00.  Maybe you'll be lucky and they'll open a few minutes early.  If you are hiring please be sure to tell me so I can make arrangements to collect you from the shop as well as plan to get you back before they close at 18:00.

= = = = =

I intend to run the overnight version again this year (2015, 2016), but I’ll start a separate thread for it.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Thames Path Meander, Mk VII - 22 July
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2017, 10:08:21 am »
I've sent a link to this thread to a friend NotOTP (one of the proprietors of Hertfordshire's Finest Hotel, who has actually encountered a few YACFers out in the big blue room on occasion) who has just discovered the joys of boris-biking bits of his commute.  Funnily enough, when he commented elsewhere on the internet that he was rather enjoying his discovery of That LonDon on two wheels my first thought was 'Oh!  He'd _love_ the TPM ride!'.

Is it Boris-bikable?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2017, 10:12:17 am »
I'm in.  Got train tickets and everything.
Milk please, no sugar.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2017, 10:17:02 am »
I've sent a link to this thread to a friend NotOTP (one of the proprietors of Hertfordshire's Finest Hotel, who has actually encountered a few YACFers out in the big blue room on occasion) who has just discovered the joys of boris-biking bits of his commute.  Funnily enough, when he commented elsewhere of the internet that he was rather enjoying his discovery on That LonDon on two wheels my first thought was 'Oh!  He'd _love_ the TPM ride!'.

Is it Boris-bikable?

Yes, if he doesn't mind the expense.  The vast majority of the ride is not covered by the London hire bikes - last docking station on the south side isn't all that far from the start, and they don't reappear until roughly half-way back on the north side.  Other options are to borrow a bicycle from someone, or hire one.  There is a place that hires bikes around the corner from the start - they open at 10:00 and close at 18:00.  It's long enough to do the ride, but it does mean I'm watching the clock to ensure I get him back to the shop on time.   For the record - it is cheaper to hire a bike from the shop than use the London bikes.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2017, 10:18:04 am »
I'm in.  Got train tickets and everything.

Hurrah!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2017, 12:42:39 pm »
This could be a good way to introduce Mrs. road-runner to YACF as well as seeing parts of London I don't think I have yet seen. Hiring bikes from the shop you mention sounds good.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2017, 12:52:47 pm »
Would be great to see you again, as well as meet the Mrs.

When I run my next recce I'll try for a more accurate measurement of distance, as well as consider a break place for you.

I recommend hiring from On Your Bike.  For the record: I have no connection to the shop, but they are reasonably priced and closest to our start/finish.

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:26:23 pm »
Yes, provisionally.  Must check dates/diary.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2017, 06:50:51 pm »
Is this an open event - can I share with my cycling group?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:10:01 pm »
I am  coming out to play  :thumbsup
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:02:47 pm »
I could do with a good meander. I have been straight for too long.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:10:52 pm »
Is this an open event - can I share with my cycling group?

I don't mind folk from outside yacf - I often advertise this on CC as well. 
But I will start to worry if numbers hit a dozen and keep going.  It's purely a logistical issue.  We managed with around a dozen and a half once, and I'd never want to go over that number.

« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2017, 10:07:45 am »
Yep - I'm up for this.

« Reply #13 on: 06 June, 2017, 08:57:25 pm »
I’d like to do this one, Andrij.

« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2017, 09:05:01 pm »
Tickets booked.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2017, 10:01:50 pm »
I'm a definite maybe

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2017, 10:20:47 pm »
Could be up for this.
Work will dictate.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2017, 10:40:25 am »
Andrij, we have reserved bikes from On Your Bike. The shop opens at 10am on Saturdays so allowing time for collecting and paying for them and getting to the start point, maybe you can delay the 10am start by a few minutes.

The ride actually goes quite near to the shop.  Instead of you working your way up to the start, only to retrace your steps, we will pick you up along the way.  By the time we make it down there you should be ready to set off.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #18 on: 15 June, 2017, 12:24:17 pm »
*bump*

Our lunch stop is booking up rather quickly.  If you intend to come on the ride but haven't said so, please speak up ASAP so I can make any necessary adjustments the booking.
Like last time, we may be asked to order our meals in advance.  Watch this space...

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2017, 09:17:55 am »
We're still OK on numbers for lunch, but the sooner I make any adjustments the better.

Also, the pub does not require us to order in advance (this time around), but I may ask you to do so as it will speed things up at lunch.  The pub's menu changes frequently, so I will contact them the Monday before the ride to check if they can confirm the menu for the weekend.  If so, I'll let you know and ask that you confirm your choice by Friday.

For those who have never been on one of my rides, please send me your mobile number via PM, and I will reply in kind.

« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2017, 11:27:58 am »
OK, add me to the list please. I was on last year's ride.

« Reply #21 on: 21 June, 2017, 08:12:15 pm »
Ooh just seen this, will hopefully join up. PB needs to fix his Rutland dates. Don't get too hung up on lunch I can always bring something.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #22 on: 23 June, 2017, 10:03:59 am »
On the ride, keep an eye out for the lavish waterworks temple that defied Thatcher.

« Reply #23 on: 24 June, 2017, 06:26:00 pm »
Please add me to the list, thanks for organising

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24 on: 25 June, 2017, 08:16:45 pm »
Andrij, I'm a possible at the moment. I'd really like to do this one so am frantically checking diaries. Should know more this week.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)