Author Topic: Single speed/fixed Q?  (Read 3847 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Single speed/fixed Q?
« on: 12 June, 2017, 12:40:41 pm »
Have been using my old Univega MTB as a SS lately for commuting and have been looking at getting a cheap SS/fixed road bike that fits me better (MTB has a 58.5cm top tube and although comfortable, I find myself at the front of the saddle)
Have been looking on Ebay for bikes around the £150 mark and as usual there are a complete mix on there.
What would be my best option in that price range, a cheap new bike or a 2nd hand On-One of similar?

Re: Single speed/fixed Q?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2017, 01:06:30 pm »
I would suggest second hand, as in Fixed the bit you pay for is frame + drivetrain and the latter you tend to replace/upgrade (though you could say the same for handlebars and saddles).  For me buying a new bike means paying for lots of bits I don't want, whereas second hand means I have spare parts and can assuage my upgrade fever.  YMMV of course.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2017, 08:02:12 pm »
Any cheap old racer with horizontal dropouts can be converted.  If it has a screw-on freewheel, this makes things even easier.   MTBs tend to have vertical dropouts (to prevent the rear wheel pulling over when using the granny ring) and are less suitable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2017, 09:35:44 pm »
Yes, a decent old road iron, 531 or similar, would do the trick.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2017, 11:00:15 am »
Ta, will keep searching the bay and on here ignoring the cheap new stuff.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2017, 04:05:05 pm »
What size frame do you ride?
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2017, 02:13:05 am »
I would say around a 57 but as I've only had 1 road bike (the yellow Trek you had) I'm not really sure!
You've seen the Univega is slightly too overstretched and that's a 58.5 top tube but it also has MTB geometry
Size charts on the Pompino and other bikes say 57 so was going to try around that mark.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2017, 02:17:13 am »
Perhaps I could nip around the corner to Steve's and borrow one of his fixed bikes.
I have a key and he may not notice it's gone for a few months  ;) ;) ;D ;D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:20:28 pm »
I have a poor single/fixed frame you can have.  Will put photos up once I find them

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2017, 11:26:16 am »
Thanks GP.
Though I'm now in possession of a Large frame Pompino, Thanks Plodder  :thumbsup:
Have to add pedals, set it up for me (though it's not far off) and see how far I get down the cycle path before it throws me off  ;D ;D

Rich