Author Topic: Foiling Optimist!!  (Read 1538 times)

Foiling Optimist!!
« on: 20 June, 2017, 12:54:32 pm »

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: Foiling Optimist!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2017, 01:43:21 pm »
That is indeed amazing! I assume it needs the helmsman to concentrate pretty damn hard to avoid "falling off", but that is quite an achievement.
Wombat

« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2017, 01:47:00 pm »
Watching that leads to vids of foils on all sorts of dinghies. I wonder how much skill it takes to get them up on the foil (and keep them there).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2017, 01:52:06 pm »
that was the basis for one of Guy Martin's speed attempts wasn't it? A human powered foiling canoe/dinghy - he failed.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2017, 07:11:07 pm »
Yes, the bloke who built the grey monohull-with-outriggers boat for Mr Martin has a background in racing foiling dinghys (Moths?).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2017, 08:00:10 pm »
Watching that leads to vids of foils on all sorts of dinghies. I wonder how much skill it takes to get them up on the foil (and keep them there).

Providing there's enough breeze the Moth pops up very easily. The part that requires skills is getting it to turn corners whilst staying up on the foils.

Launching and recovery of the Moth is interesting as well, it has to be swum out lying on its side until the water is deep enough for the foils then righted.

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2017, 09:09:22 pm »
Yes, the bloke who built the grey monohull-with-outriggers boat for Mr Martin has a background in racing foiling dinghys (Moths?).
Almost certainly International Moths. Amazing craft.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2017, 09:25:17 pm »
That is pretty cool. See the wand hanging off the bow ?  I think that is linked to the trim tab on the rudder's foil.

This YT vid explains all - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OWY1MgZIU
Rust never sleeps